National Identities

Davidson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One suggestion. The overall shape of the USA shield... I think it would be more unique and accurate if it resembled the shield in The Great Seal:

I really like the muted colors and the texture of these. Any change of doing Germany, Italy, Greece and Ireland?

How would it be more unique if it resembled something else? Personally I dont like the spread eagles so to speak. I prefer the animals to have a little more naturalism about them.

Yes, planning on doing some of those.

I think I worded this poorly. The Pentagon/home plate shape is being used for Canada as well. By unique, I meant the shield shape that has the top corners square, the bottom corners round, that curves down to a point in the center. I didn't mean add the eagle to the outside of the shape or whatever... I just meant the shape of the shield itself.

Basically this shape, except the bottom would be horizontally straight, with a small point at the bottom:

National_Identities_South_Africa.png

I thought it would be more apropos since it reflects the actual shape used in the Great Seal.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Nice work on the Canada update.

But I LOVE the new set. Sweden is very simple, and good. I ALMOST suggested the fern, but since they're the Kiwis, perfect. I really like the flow of the South Africa springbok. I also like the modern rooster for France. I might've changed gold to white, but it still is impressive.

Suggestions:

Ireland - Harp. I think it would be more fitting for this type of concept, rather than the clover.

Germany - The Austrian style eagle.

Greece - Pantheon type symbol or the crown of ferns worn by government officials in the Grecco-Roman times.

Italy - I would say the Cornicello (Italian Horn) with some sort of cross with it. Most Italians won't wear a horn without a cross or a cross without the horn.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Really nice stuff. Love the usage of the native spelling of Sweden and the Kiwi on New Zealand. I would suggest creating a Portugal badge in your next batch. The navigation device in Portugal's flag or the Galo de Barcelos (although it would be another rooster),

soundersbanner.png

These are simply phenomenal, with the emaphasis on simply. Which is not a criticism by any means it's the highest praise I can give as imo doing things as simply and elegantly as you've managed here is by far the hardest thing to do as a designer, but you've done it masterfully.

Genuinely love every single one of them and being Scottish myself I would really love to see your take on a Scottish one. Cant wait to see more of these as and when you publish them.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Suggestions:

Ireland - Harp. I think it would be more fitting for this type of concept, rather than the clover.

Germany - The Austrian style eagle.

Greece - Pantheon type symbol or the crown of ferns worn by government officials in the Grecco-Roman times.

Italy - I would say the Cornicello (Italian Horn) with some sort of cross with it. Most Italians won't wear a horn without a cross or a cross without the horn.

To add:

Spain - Castle from the old Castille flag

Scotland - Tartan

Wales - Dragon

Portugal - Shield from the flag

Mexico - Eagle from the flag

Russia - Black bear or 2 headed eagle

Finland - Lion with sword similar to this http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/flags/coat_of_arms/Finland.png

China - Chinese Dragon

Japan - Rising sun w/ rays

Awesome work Fraser.

USA: Hard to mistake them here, looks like the USAF

England: Love the red and gold for England which is underutilised in general, especially given the history associated with it.

Ausralia: I like the colours but not so much the logo itself, the southern cross isn't as unique to the Australian identity as the 7 pointed federation star. I reckon a roo and an emu standing either side of a star would be pretty unique and would fill the shield shape a little better.

Canada: 'nuff said. Would like to see something other than a maple leaf for once but there really isn't much else.

France: The tail feathers look a little weird to me. Maybe the feathers should be different lengths and not finish so square and wide.

Sweden: Like Canada, there isn't much else to choose. Good nonetheless and I like the triangle shield.

NZ: Cool to see the kiwi and not the silver fern. What about a koru below?

RSA: I like the icon but the shield looks too stout, what if it were a bit taller?

sig.png

I can't reiterate how cool these are. Heck of a job. I concur on the Kiwi one, it's fantastic.

For some reason, the South Africa one reminds me a tad of the Australia made logo:

australian-made-logo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.xBQ1pS9hNr.jpg

I want to ask Davidson something. How come the on the patches that have animals, you used a very simple and wavy style animal, but for the USA, you used an intricate, rigid animal?

I want to ask Davidson something. How come the on the patches that have animals, you used a very simple and wavy style animal, but for the USA, you used an intricate, rigid animal?

Not sure really. Have been trying to do things differently from my usual style. The USA one, I wanted to look a little more iconographic. Same with the cockerel. Its harder to achieve the same look with the animals that have slightly more subtle features, so I slightly reverted to type. Hoping the Russian Bear and German Black Eagle will be a little out of the comfort zone.

These arent finished things. I have some plans to simplify elements of this project further.

FD

Archived