NHL Canada

raysox

So with all the news about Winnipeg, and all the new concepts coming out, I thought I should try. I wanted to do a redesign series with the NHL, so I kind of did part of it now! The others will be released later. I'll go East to West

1/7 Montreal Canadiens

You can't change much about the Habs. I mean, you could match the home and away, but I felt like keeping it the same. The way their jersey is unique and clean makes the set just gorgeous. As an alt, I wanted to do a blue jersey. I wasn't really a fan, so i threw in a retro concept from the 1909-1910 season, as depicted in the 100 year celebration year two seasons ago.

Canadiens.png

2/7 Ottawa Senators

With Canada being the hockey mecca, and the Ottawa Senators being a team around in the 1920s, there isn't a good reason to have that modern of a template. As it's been done before, stripes, with the roman design to tie into the now primary side logo. I chose to de-clutter it by not having a waist stripe. The alt is a faux-back using the current logos to represent a jersey from the first Ottawa Senators.

Senators.png

3/7 Toronto Maple Leafs

One thing many people on here want is the bringing back of the retro leaf logo. I did that to an extent. I just love the way it looks compared to the clip art-y leaf now. I replaced the off center block font with the current modern font. The home and away couldn't be approved upon, so why change? The Alt is a throwback to the days around 1940. Not an actual jersey, but close. 4 sleeve stripes, and a 2 part yoke is used. The pants were tan when this set was first around, so it remains.

MapleLeafs.png

4/7 Manitoba Moose

Hah! I went with the Moose! I LOVE the current logo, but as I was toying with my vector, I decided that taking away the detail would make the primary clearer, and a better jersey crest. The alt logo is simply the M from the Manitoba script. That logo made me change the number and name simple white. I felt the Wild font went with the wilderness of the Moose. The jersey isn't that different from theirs now, Panther-type stripes. Now, don't say the Alternate is like the Oilers, because piping stops the stripes. I put the script there, because it works with college teams. I matched the numbers to the script, and went all black.

Moose.png

5/7 Edmonton Oilers

I NEVER choose to go retro with this concept, but I thought when I made it on inkscape, it looked so good. I darkened the blue and orange, and brought back the roughneck logo. The current homes remain the same. I matched the road to the home, depicting the Gretzky years. Finally, the alternate is an orange version of the home, which would sell well in Edmonton, at like, the mall or something.

Oilers.png

6/7 Calgary Flames

I'm not a fan of the throwback, or the current, but the current could be improved on. That's what I did here. I tried simplifying it, no crazy stripes or anything. The under arm is full black, not crazy. Two simple black and yellow stripes on the sleeves. The roads are a white version of the home. The font is also block, instead of the italicized ones now. The new alt is a black version, which reminds me of the days with the horse logo.

Flames.png

7/7 Vancouver Canucks

Last, the Western Conference champs. Instead of all this whale/Johnny/Ice rink mixmatch, I went with one. The choice was simple, Vancouver Orcas, Vancouver Ice-something, Vancouver Canucks. The V logo is the primary, with the running Johnny as an alt. No silver is used outside the logo, and I used a navy to go with the blue-green northwest feel. I decided to put yoke piping to balance out the top with the simple stripes. Finally, the green alt with the full body logo because he's wearing green! Simple as that.

Canucks.png

I hope you enjoyed that. I will do the NHL fully sometime, but for now comment.

Montréal: classic, nice alt.

Ottawa are stunning. Looks so clean and classy, very nice job on those. I surprisingly like the non-waist stripe and the non-pant stripe. And the profile logo blows away the front-facing one.

Toronto. I'm not crazy about the old-school maple leaf. To me, maple leafs just don't look like that. It looks, I don't know, fuzzy? Needs a happy balance between the moldy-oldie and the modern version. (Just make it look like a maple leaf fer cripes sake!)

Calgary: Great 3rd jersey but I don't like the home or aways. The black C should be used on the primary if you're not going retro and switching the yellow to secondary and black to tertiary would look much nicer I think. Its a strange striping pattern that I'm just not used to, I guess.

Vancouver: use the ice rink logo and its perfect. Never crazy about the V-head. 3rd looks good except Johnny's shirt gets lost in the green, white circle background maybe?

Edmonton: Don't really have any comments either way on this one. Don't really know why either.

Manitoba: that logo should stay where it belongs, AHL.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Fixed the Subban spelling, my bad. But thanks for the comments. As far as the Moose, I had a few reasons. For one, the Jets have a whole history with another franchise. Then, the NFL has a team named the Jets, also the Falcons. So the names wouldn't be all unique. The Moose is a great name because it's an icon of Canada, and very unique with that logo and color scheme.

Then, as far as the other cities... Just wait.

My idea was make a fake league with Canadian teams. I'd make up some story that they all got mad at Bettman and broke away to form their own league. But I probably wont. I plan on doing teams like Halifax, Quebec, and Hamilton for sure.

The thing I like the most that I wish NHL teams would pick up on is if the hem stripes follow the contour of the the hem (shirt-tail hem) when the jersey is worn by players on the ice you no longer notice the wavy hem or the wavy stripes. Thank you!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Cool, this is how Toronto should look for sure! The Ottawa is awesome as well. I wonder if you could quickly create home and road versions of Ottawa with the laurel pattern around the hem and add a little gold to the shoulder patch. Very cool!

I see very minor little tweaks (to already existing designs) done in a polished presentation.

What I like: 1) Simplified striping for Calgary is a huge improvement!

What I don't like: 1) The Ottawa "Zeros" would never fly as a corporate identity. 2) Toronto's 3rd is busy and unbalanced. I know it's retro, but it's just not handsome.

Ottawa

The third is awesome. I would like if the sleeves were all black below the arm stripe however, Like their 90's whites. Im just not a fan of all white sleeves.... Should do a black version for home and use the red as a third.

Toronto

The third is great, I dont think I like the extra blue stripe in the shoulders though....Its kinda busy. ).

Manitoba

Looks like a minor league team.. I attribute that to the black stripe going from the shoulders all the way down to the wrist. And the logo, maybe just use the snarling moose head ?

Edmonton.

Home and away are GREAT, but the blue is too dark.

Third is BAD, too much like the old islanders third and when I see it all I think is "Islanders". Maybe just an all blue version minus the orange shoulders and sleeves ?? But They don't really need a third.

Calgary

They should go home and away in retro colors (red/orange/white)

Black added in the third.

Vancouver

The V logo should only ever be a shoulder patch. The C logo is best.

I would personally LOVE to see a black/red/yellow/white (Flying Skate logo jersey) for the third. Thirds don't always have to match the current set, Van would benefit from a throwback third greatly.

Overall some very nice work here, immediatly I was impressed with the creative layout / presentation, I think you did a good job presenting these in a unique fashion (love the plaid patterns). Senators has got to be my favorite. The pattern works perfectly, once you get rid of the stupid Pens/Lightning template, the Senators identity has a lot of potential. The touch of gold to the striping really livens it up compared to the red/black only they use now. Good choice with the 2d logo and I love the alternate. Maple Leafs look really clean but it looks like you have some problems with the widths of the hem / sleeve stripes, they definitely are not the same but maybe its just the template (same goes for Oilers). The Canucks aren't bad looking at all, but I personally find the addition of more navy to just be a distraction, they look best with simply royal and green. You definitely improved the Flames look, but the piping to nowhere still bothers me, and I don't really like the way the side panels on the jerseys interact with the double stripe on the pants, I think it would look awkward in real life. That black alternate is real nice though, the yellow and red pop. I don't like the Moose concept, but I'm biased because i hate that logo and color scheme, even simplified I think the logo is incredibly minor-leaguish. I think it would also be better if you didn't use the Panthers/Oilers half-stripe template, it's not one of the better edge designs and I'm sure you could come up with something better. Good concepts here, though.

I like these. Very clean and traditional-looking. However, there are two things bugging me:

The yellow piping doesn't work on a red or white jersey for Calgary. It looks washed out and out of place

And I'd like to see more black in Ottawa's primary set. Make the sleeve part below the design all black on both the home and away a la their 90's jerseys.

OttawaSenators.png

Overall some very nice work here, immediatly I was impressed with the creative layout / presentation, I think you did a good job presenting these in a unique fashion (love the plaid patterns). Senators has got to be my favorite. The pattern works perfectly, once you get rid of the stupid Pens/Lightning template, the Senators identity has a lot of potential. The touch of gold to the striping really livens it up compared to the red/black only they use now. Good choice with the 2d logo and I love the alternate. Maple Leafs look really clean but it looks like you have some problems with the widths of the hem / sleeve stripes, they definitely are not the same but maybe its just the template (same goes for Oilers). The Canucks aren't bad looking at all, but I personally find the addition of more navy to just be a distraction, they look best with simply royal and green. You definitely improved the Flames look, but the piping to nowhere still bothers me, and I don't really like the way the side panels on the jerseys interact with the double stripe on the pants, I think it would look awkward in real life. That black alternate is real nice though, the yellow and red pop. I don't like the Moose concept, but I'm biased because i hate that logo and color scheme, even simplified I think the logo is incredibly minor-leaguish. I think it would also be better if you didn't use the Panthers/Oilers half-stripe template, it's not one of the better edge designs and I'm sure you could come up with something better. Good concepts here, though.

But they're basically just recolours! You mean you actually like them?? :shocked:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But they're basically just recolours! You mean you actually like them?? :shocked:

What? These aren't recolors. Although raysox did not create these logos, he came up with these jersey designs, and he did not use the fill tool. "recolors" are usually minimal changes using paint and the fill tool, raysox also created his own presentation, showing time and effort put in here.

What? These aren't recolors. Although raysox did not create these logos, he came up with these jersey designs, and he did not use the fill tool. "recolors" are usually minimal changes using paint and the fill tool, raysox also created his own presentation, showing time and effort put in here.

Ottawa is the only truly original design in this set.

Nice work nonetheless, Raysox

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived