2011-12 European football thread

Viper

Well all of those so called elite better prepare to deal with clubs like APOEL. Granted they lucked out getting Lyon, I don't think the Quarters will be as gentle. Just to show how elite the CL have become I guess Red Star Belgrade who aren't really a slouch, but not among what we consider a top European club were probably the last team not of top status to win the Champions League and that was in 1991.

At the time they were the best in the Balkans, which is very underrated when it comes to European football. I still firmly believe that this is the toughest tournament to win. Yes that includes the European Championship and World Cup.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all of those so called elite better prepare to deal with clubs like APOEL. Granted they lucked out getting Lyon, I don't think the Quarters will be as gentle. Just to show how elite the CL have become I guess Red Star Belgrade who aren't really a slouch, but not among what we consider a top European club were probably the last team not of top status to win the Champions League and that was in 1991.

At the time they were the best in the Balkans, which is very underrated when it comes to European football. I still firmly believe that this is the toughest tournament to win. Yes that includes the European Championship and World Cup.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Porto elite (though they won in '04). I blame it on considering European Elite to be the big five of England, Spain, Germany, Italy, and France.

Incidentally, the tourney that Red Star Belgrade won pales in comparison to what APOEL is doing. The '91 tourney had no English teams, no Dutch teams, and only one team from any country. Furthermore, it was straight knockout, so Red Star had to play just 9 games. APOEL is on for 16 games right now (6 quali, 6 group, and 4 knockout) and I believe the record is 17.

LvZYtbZ.png

Five goals in a game... I'm not one to follow soccer (outside of MLS), but this is a huge achievement for Messi. It just solidifies the fact that he is the best player in the world right now. Nobody else can touch him. Nobody.

And congrats to APOEL for reaching the Champions League Elite Eight. Teams like AC Milan and Barcalona are the kind of team you expect to be there because they are so good... Then you get these feel good stories like APOEL, who has done more for the sport in Cyprus then the national team could ever do (unless they qualify for the 2014 World Cup).

To me, the feel good stories are the best ones and I hope that APOEL somehow, someway wins it all. It's not likely, but come on... Wouldn't it be great for European soccer to see someone who isn't a traditional juggernaut win the Champions League?

It wouldn't just be great for European soccer. It'd be great for soccer internationally. If Marseille (my Ligue Un club) fall short, I'm APOEL all the way.

Cyprus could have more ECL quarter finalists this year than England.

I don't actually totally agree that Apoel winning would be great for footy, although I think the idea that money isn't needed in order to be succesful. But the ECL has grown on the back of being a glamourous competition, with big teams in it. Not sure that everyone will be delighted that Apoel are in the quarter finals when a bunch of more fancied teams are missing.

Which is so...awesome. I mean, I love United, but I also love seeing smaller sides (read: sides that aren't in La Liga, EPL, Serie A, etc.) have success in the Champions League, too.

spacer.png

Holy crap that CONCACAF matchup between Seattle and Santos was one of the worst uniform match-ups I've ever seen attempted. I actually really like the "super cyan" jerseys that the Sounders were reppin', but they should have considered how it would look on television taking on a team sporting green and white stripped shirts. The mesh on TV just wasn't pretty...

And the next round of APOEL is gonna be brutal, but the game yesterday was as entertaining and heart-warming as ever.

Messi looked sick as :censored: too; a hat-trick of chip-in's!

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

We may have just seen a $75M phantom goal midway through the first half of Bolton-QPR. QPR clearly put the ball in the net and across the goal line before it was knocked back out, but the officials never called it a goal and, alas, the goal-line technology isn't coming to the Prem until next season.

Since this is one of the few remaining BPL matches between relegation "contenders", that non-goal could well end up putting QPR out of the Prem.

Update: And then, sure enough, Wanderers scored a few minutes after that. If QPR get two goals in the 2nd half to win, the officials are off the hook. Otherwise this could blow up into the biggest controversy of the 2011-12 Prem campaign, at least on the pitch.

Update #2: Two officials' wrongs, making a right? Cisse levels it for QPR despite clearly being offside, but the flag stays down.

Can officials be relegated? The clowns working this game would make prime candidates for the drop zone.

CCSLC signature.png

We may have just seen a $75M phantom goal midway through the first half of Bolton-QPR. QPR clearly put the ball in the net and across the goal line before it was knocked back out, but the officials never called it a goal and, alas, the goal-line technology isn't coming to the Prem until next season.

Since this is one of the few remaining BPL matches between relegation "contenders", that non-goal could well end up putting QPR out of the Prem.

Update: And then, sure enough, Wanderers scored a few minutes after that. If QPR get two goals in the 2nd half to win, the officials are off the hook. Otherwise this could blow up into the biggest controversy of the 2011-12 Prem campaign, at least on the pitch.

Update #2: Two officials' wrongs, making a right? Cisse levels it for QPR despite clearly being offside, but the flag stays down.

Can officials be relegated? The clowns working this game would make prime candidates for the drop zone.

They often are if it's proved they made a real mess of a decision.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Man U doesnt have to worry about Europe anymore. Athletic Bilbao takes them down 5-3 Aggregate.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

What a terrible showing from Premier League clubs in Europe. Chelsea is the lone one left and even they needed a ton of luck yesterday to move on to the QF.

City is looking the same

Both Manchester sides now have nothing but the EPL title to play for. Sure, the English powers may have fizzled out on the European stage, but I'm pretty sure that now that both teams are gonna be going full bore in the league, the title race is gonna be one helluva spectacle to watch. I'm already looking forward to April 30th. :evil:

Draws for the UEFA Champions League quarter finals:

APOEL Nicosia v Real Madrid

Marseille v Bayern Munich

Benfica v Chelsea

AC Milan v Barcelona

Champions League draw - Semi-finals

Marseille or Bayern Munich v APOEL or Real Madrid

Benfica or Chelsea v Milan or Barcelona

Well Oh crap: Milan or Barcelona

I saw, I came, I left.

I knew APOEL would get hurt when it came to the draw for the Quarterfinals.

Some predictions.

Real Madrid over APOEL

Bayern Munich over Marseille

Chelsea over Benfica

Barcelona over AC Milan

Bayern Munich over Real Madrid

Barcelona over Chelsea

Barcelona over Bayern Munich

Archived