The iconic Ohio State sleeve stripe

Spearhead

This is the very familiar sleeve stripe pattern that, I believe, Ohio State first began using in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The Green Bay packers copied it in the 1960s and it spread far and wide afterward:

osu.png?t=1311277761

Does anyone here know if the pattern has a name or its history? It's a terrific design but little is said about it.

FsQiF2W.png

They're Northwestern Stripes, first used at Northwestern University in 1928. They've been copied ever since. Considering that the Packers have changed their sleeves, I'd say that the Steelers are the most famous example of them.

I thought Ohio State switched to a more simplified look.

ohio-state-football-weight-lifting-program.jpg

yeah. I wouldn't say that it's really Ohio State's look anymore. Part of their past, sure, but it's history.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This is the very familiar sleeve stripe pattern that, I believe, Ohio State first began using in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The Green Bay packers copied it in the 1960s and it spread far and wide afterward:

osu.png?t=1311277761

Does anyone here know if the pattern has a name or its history? It's a terrific design but little is said about it.

They changed away from the gray sleeves in 2006 so that they could look sleeker when losing to SEC teams.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

They're not northwestern stripes. Auburn wears northwestern stripes. I don't know what to call those OSU stripes, but they're not northwestern stripes.

and you're missing a black stripe of the same width as the others on the top and bottom of the gray.

krenzel.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

They're not northwestern stripes. Auburn wears northwestern stripes. I don't know what to call those OSU stripes, but they're not northwestern stripes.

and you're missing a black stripe of the same width as the others on the top and bottom of the gray.

krenzel.jpg

I know this is an old argument, but I don't think what Auburn wears is truly a northwestern stripe. Northwestern stripes are all one color - thin thick thin, or three stripes the same color trimmed with a second color (like the Vikings and Lions wore for years).

Plus, didn't the Browns wear that stripe (pro-style modified northwestern) before Green Bay? At one point, you saw quite a bit of it in the NFL... Miami, New Orleans, Green Bay, and Cleveland. Pittsburgh actually wears a stripe that reads as a northwestern on the road and a pro-style at home.

Technicaly OSU's stripe is an animal all to itself, since it uses three colors, not just two.

(I love me some stripes on football jerseys!)

No, Northwestern stripes can be solid-color or two-tone. It's the stripes themselves that make them Northwestern stripes, not the colors.

41qwK5-NMJL._SS400_.jpg

anything involving that pattern is Northwestern Stripes. If they change the colors (Auburn was actually among the first listed in a google image search for northwestern stripes), or add outlines (like the Steelers and Ohio State added black outlines to it all), or whatever else, if it's a big stripe flanked by two small stripes, it's the Northwestern pattern

Well, like I said, we've had this discussion before, but I worked (set up artwork and lettering for silk-screening) at a small time athletic uniform manufacturer in the 80's (supplied high schools and small colleges) and in the catalog (templates!) the thin-thick-thin single color stripes (trimed and plain) were listed as "Northwestern" and the thin-thick-thin two color stripes were listed as "USC" (which is what USC wore back then). The thin-thick-thin with a second color "floating" in between (Green Bay's) were listed as "Pro-Style".

I know its splitting hairs, but that's kinda what we do around here. And google searches are not quite what I'd consider proof of anything "official".

What's up with all the topics about stripes lately? Did some of Paul Lukas' children recently join the boards or something?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's semantics to a degree as we can all recognize the familial relationship amongst the variants of the thin-thick-thin striping patterns. On the other hand, it's good to have standards, conventions, and accepted uses because they are a convenient short-hand to convey the message better than, e.g., single-color, thin-thick-thin stripes. Which gets us back to is there a standard usage for "Northwestern strips"? If so, what is it? If no accepted usage exists, perhaps we here on this board can hammer out at least a board-wide convention so that we don't have to argue about this all the time...

BYU stripes!

Heaps.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I would just call them "stripes"

but that's just me.

Northwestern stripes forever!

Go 'Cats! Go Nerds! GO U NU!!!

GO U NU???

Go University of Northwestern University??

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I would just call them "stripes"

but that's just me.

Northwestern stripes forever!

Go 'Cats! Go Nerds! GO U NU!!!

GO U NU???

Go University of Northwestern University??

It is a directional school. What did you expect? :P

But I think Northwestern's current home jerseys might be the worst use of Northwestern stripes you can think of. Did they really think a thin black stripe on a purple jersey was a good idea?

wisconsin.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Are there any nits you forgot to pick?

The 1955 Kirkbriar catalog calls them "Pritchard Stripes." They're not Northwestern stripes.

p4Ut2be.png

Well, like I said, we've had this discussion before, but I worked (set up artwork and lettering for silk-screening) at a small time athletic uniform manufacturer in the 80's (supplied high schools and small colleges) and in the catalog (templates!) the thin-thick-thin single color stripes (trimed and plain) were listed as "Northwestern" and the thin-thick-thin two color stripes were listed as "USC" (which is what USC wore back then). The thin-thick-thin with a second color "floating" in between (Green Bay's) were listed as "Pro-Style".

I know its splitting hairs, but that's kinda what we do around here. And google searches are not quite what I'd consider proof of anything "official".

I don't suppose you could provide photo/drawing examples of what you mean here? I'm having trouble envisioning all of that. I'm not opposed to having different categories and names for these things, but they're all obviously derived from Northwestern Stripes.

Archived