2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Move over, Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam... Sebastian Janikowski is now the third NFL kicker to tie an NFL record with a kinda-asterisky 63-yard field goal.

Not really. Dempsey did it at sea level on the last play with the game on the line. While still impressive, kicking one from 63 isn't apples to apples if it's a "so what if he misses" situation in Denver.

Having not seen the kick, why would there be an asterisk, because he's in Denver?

For Elam and SJ, yes, because it's at altitude. For Dempsey, of course, (1) he was wearing that flat-toed shoe and (2) to hear some people tell it, Dempsey didn't really kick that FG, God did.

The bigger miracle was the '70 Saints winning a game. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are people claiming the Raiders are going to be good this year? They have no quarterback and both their offense and defense sustained huge losses in free agency. Then again, the Broncos and Chiefs are so bad that the Raiders could still probably finish in second.

I don't know their schedule but they are in a weak division (possibly save the Bolts) and the way the media and fans both work is to try to jump on the bandwagon before it leaves. A couple of big wins could see them past the Chargers, if they don't get going.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I firmly believe the AFC West will be the NFC West of 2011, a bad division with nobody seemingly wanting to win it. The Chargers rightly should win it, but they trip over their own damn feet so often I think the Raiders could irrationally have a shot at the division crown.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Having not seen the kick, why would there be an asterisk, because he's in Denver?

For Elam and SJ, yes, because it's at altitude. For Dempsey, of course, (1) he was wearing that flat-toed shoe and (2) to hear some people tell it, Dempsey didn't really kick that FG, God did.

The bigger miracle was the '70 Saints winning a game. :D

I didn't realise until now, the Lions had a good team that year ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

This is the first year Jason Campbell has had the same offense in place for two consecutive seasons since he was in high school, and the first year in the NFL where he doesn't have to look over his shoulder at someone on the bench who might take his job. Comfort and confidence can make all the difference at the quarterback position.

As another note: Lance Ball is yet another unheralded player Ralph Friedgen has managed to send to the NFL. Some players like crazy, gaudy uniforms, some players like to know that a school is truly a pro factory. It's a shame Maryland traded in the latter for the former.

The Lions medical staff is on call with gorilla glue to repair Stafford's shattered (insert various important part of skeleton), which is impending over the next couple weeks.

I'd bet you Stafford plays more games than Cutler this year. :therock:

Right, because Cutler isn't "tough enough"? Getting destoyed behind a terrible O-line for two years and attempting to come back after likely suffering multiple concussions against the Giants wasn't enough. He's weak because he didn't play despite not being able to push off his front foot. Brett Favre would have never left that game. He would have had the leg amputated, popped 30 vicodins and went out and thrown 4 interceptions. Because he's tough.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well since Stafford hasn't played a complete season yet, I'll take that bet.

Cutler isn't "tough enough"? Getting destoyed behind a terrible O-line for two years and attempting to come back after likely suffering multiple concussions against the Giants wasn't enough. He's weak because he didn't play despite not being able to push off his front foot. Brett Favre would have never left that game. He would have had the leg amputated, popped 30 vicodins and went out and thrown 4 interceptions. Because he's tough.

It's called the law of averages. Stafford has been hurt in the past two years and Cutler has been healthy the last two for the most part.

Stafford managed to make it through three years of SEC football at Georgia unharmed, and it's not like he's merely falling over and getting hurt. He's taken two brutal hits.

Also, the Bears have a weaker line and Cutler plays in the Mike Martz offense, which relies on plenty of 5-7 step drops... nothing about Jay Cutler's "toughness".

Cutler isn't "tough enough"? Getting destoyed behind a terrible O-line for two years and attempting to come back after likely suffering multiple concussions against the Giants wasn't enough. He's weak because he didn't play despite not being able to push off his front foot. Brett Favre would have never left that game. He would have had the leg amputated, popped 30 vicodins and went out and thrown 4 interceptions. Because he's tough.

It's called the law of averages. Stafford has been hurt in the past two years and Cutler has been healthy the last two for the most part.

Stafford managed to make it through three years of SEC football at Georgia unharmed, and it's not like he's merely falling over and getting hurt. He's taken two brutal hits.

Also, the Bears have a weaker line and Cutler plays in the Mike Martz offense, which relies on plenty of 5-7 step drops... nothing about Jay Cutler's "toughness".

What does playing in the SEC have anything to do with his NFL career? Cutler played in the SEC too and never went down on an injury.

What does playing in the SEC have anything to do with his NFL career? Cutler played in the SEC too and never went down on an injury.

Well, a few years ago when Sam Bradford comes out in the draft, the knock on him was "can he stay healthy?" He's injured in two consecutive years in college, yet he plays one full NFL season and no one was talking about him bring injury prone (even though he just hurt himself again)... plus the Big XII is considered to be one of the biggest non-contact heavy conferences, at least when compared to the almighty SEC...

I guess the point is that I don't consider Stafford to be injury prone. He took two hits that Brady, Manning, Brees, etc... would have all gotten hurt on. Look at how Romo got hurt last year... same basic type of a blindside hit on the throwing shoulder. Basically, if Stafford stays healthy for one NFL season, does he no longer become "injury prone" in everyone's mind?

It's week 1, I'll check back on this pointless argument in week 4 when Stafford's being carted off the field after taking a hit from a stiff breeze.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If the Chargers don't win the AFC West Nor v must go

Sadly, Norv probably won't go until either the Spanos family decides they don't feel like paying him anymore, or the Chargers move to LA and magically become serious about winning a Super Bowl. As it stands now, there's no such thing as accountability in the Chargers organization.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As another note: Lance Ball is yet another unheralded player Ralph Friedgen has managed to send to the NFL. Some players like crazy, gaudy uniforms, some players like to know that a school is truly a pro factory. It's a shame Maryland traded in the latter for the former.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the "crazy, gaudy" uniforms won't stop Maryland from continuing to be somewhat of a pro factory. Hell, Miami keeps pumping out pros every year and their uniforms have skewed modern for over a decade now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Rams CB Ron "STATISTICALLY ELITE CORNER" Bartell done for the year, if not forever.

I'm not as upset as I should be about this really, mostly because despite being a STATISTICALLY ELITE CORNER he would still inevitably get torched by the opponent's top receiver at least twice a game. And that was rage-inducing annoying.

Actually, I'm mostly upset because now the Rams are really thin at corner. As in "I'm going to run out of film clips of ships exploding" thin.

/If only somebody had made a Battle of Jutland movie.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Move over, Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam... Sebastian Janikowski is now the third NFL kicker to tie an NFL record with a kinda-asterisky 63-yard field goal.

Not really. Dempsey did it at sea level on the last play with the game on the line. While still impressive, kicking one from 63 isn't apples to apples if it's a "so what if he misses" situation in Denver.

But Dempsey essentially had a club for a foot. I know it's one of those bizarre situations where you have to wonder if somebody with a physical disability may have an advantage, but as I understand it, the NFL has banned the cleats he wore and if he were to play today, he would have to use something that more closely resembles a normal foot. Whether it's an advantage or not, I don't know, but I can see how it's a possibility.

For what it's worth, Janikowski says he didn't even strike the ball well, as he made a 70 yarder in warm-ups. Game or not, that :censored:'s impressive.

IUe6Hvh.png

But Dempsey essentially had a club for a foot. I know it's one of those bizarre situations where you have to wonder if somebody with a physical disability may have an advantage, but as I understand it, the NFL has banned the cleats he wore and if he were to play today, he would have to use something that more closely resembles a normal foot. Whether it's an advantage or not, I don't know, but I can see how it's a possibility.

For what it's worth, Janikowski says he didn't even strike the ball well, as he made a 70 yarder in warm-ups. Game or not, that :censored:'s impressive.

Okay, if only for Cujo...

Tom-Dempsey-fieldgoal.jpg

I was there btw, November 8, 1970. A real regret is that at 9 years old I didn't have the vision to save my ticket stub and/or program. Oh well.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

We know you're old. You don't need to keep posting pictures to prove it.

Okay, if only for Cujo...

Tom-Dempsey-fieldgoal.jpg

I was there btw, November 8, 1970. A real regret is that at 9 years old I didn't have the vision to save my ticket stub and/or program. Oh well.

Archived