2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Move over, Tom Dempsey and Jason Elam... Sebastian Janikowski is now the third NFL kicker to tie an NFL record with a kinda-asterisky 63-yard field goal.

Not really. Dempsey did it at sea level on the last play with the game on the line. While still impressive, kicking one from 63 isn't apples to apples if it's a "so what if he misses" situation in Denver.

But Dempsey essentially had a club for a foot. I know it's one of those bizarre situations where you have to wonder if somebody with a physical disability may have an advantage, but as I understand it, the NFL has banned the cleats he wore and if he were to play today, he would have to use something that more closely resembles a normal foot. Whether it's an advantage or not, I don't know, but I can see how it's a possibility.

For what it's worth, Janikowski says he didn't even strike the ball well, as he made a 70 yarder in warm-ups. Game or not, that :censored:'s impressive.

Okay, if only for Cujo...

Tom-Dempsey-fieldgoal.jpg

I was there btw, November 8, 1970. A real regret is that at 9 years old I didn't have the vision to save my ticket stub and/or program. Oh well.

We know you're old. You don't need to keep posting pictures to prove it.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since Stafford hasn't played a complete season yet, I'll take that bet.

Cutler isn't "tough enough"? Getting destoyed behind a terrible O-line for two years and attempting to come back after likely suffering multiple concussions against the Giants wasn't enough. He's weak because he didn't play despite not being able to push off his front foot. Brett Favre would have never left that game. He would have had the leg amputated, popped 30 vicodins and went out and thrown 4 interceptions. Because he's tough.

It's called the law of averages. Stafford has been hurt in the past two years and Cutler has been healthy the last two for the most part.

Stafford managed to make it through three years of SEC football at Georgia unharmed, and it's not like he's merely falling over and getting hurt. He's taken two brutal hits.

Also, the Bears have a weaker line and Cutler plays in the Mike Martz offense, which relies on plenty of 5-7 step drops... nothing about Jay Cutler's "toughness".

Man, you're DET FANATIC.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's called the law of averages. Stafford has been hurt in the past two years and Cutler has been healthy the last two for the most part.

I'll cite the laws of physics, wherein an object (like a nerf dart) comes into contact with Stafford's shoulder - the reaction of his fragile bird-like bone structure is to explode into thousands of tiny pieces.

Your reaction in turn will be tout how awesome Shaun Hill is and that Stafford's no longer the answer, while Cutler, despite being a glum fartknocker, takes sack after sack without getting hurt. Until, that is, the NFC championship game.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

There is an old saying in football that kickers are a dime a dozen.

Which is far from true. Shoot, look at college. Seems easier to find a capable QB than a capable kicker.

Don't you get it? Dem kickers are not real football playerz? :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

Quarterbacks can have exceptionally long leashes. Look at Alex Smith in San Fran, or Kyle Boller in Baltimore.

Kickers? Miss two 35-yarders in the same game and you might get cut the very next day. It doesn't matter if you're the most accurate kicker in NFL History.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mike Vanderjagt.

I'll cite the laws of physics, wherein an object (like a nerf dart) comes into contact with Stafford's shoulder - the reaction of his fragile bird-like bone structure is to explode into thousands of tiny pieces.

Your reaction in turn will be tout how awesome Shaun Hill is and that Stafford's no longer the answer, while Cutler, despite being a glum fartknocker, takes sack after sack without getting hurt. Until, that is, the NFC championship game.

It is starting to feel like you come to this thread with no intentions other than to repeatedly knock Matthew Stafford. His bird-like bone structure? What bones of his have been broken??? He never had a history of injuries in all of his years playing football, and caught a couple of bad breaks. This injury-prone thing is WAY overplayed, and you just won't let it go. If he gets injured again, talk all you want, but quit making every post into something about Stafford's health, which is perfectly fine at the moment.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Quarterbacks can have exceptionally long leashes. Look at Alex Smith in San Fran, or Kyle Boller in Baltimore.

Kickers? Miss two 35-yarders in the same game and you might get cut the very next day. It doesn't matter if you're the most accurate kicker in NFL History.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mike Vanderjagt.

.... idiot, liquored-up kicker ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

It is starting to feel like you come to this thread with no intentions other than to repeatedly knock Matthew Stafford. His bird-like bone structure? What bones of his have been broken??? He never had a history of injuries in all of his years playing football, and caught a couple of bad breaks. This injury-prone thing is WAY overplayed, and you just won't let it go. If he gets injured again, talk all you want, but quit making every post into something about Stafford's health, which is perfectly fine at the moment.

He was fine this time last year too, and we know how that ended up.

He was fine this time last year too, and we know how that ended up.

Umm... FALSE, but nice try. He was hurt in game 1 against the Bears.

I am convinced that at this point, even if he went seven years without an injury, you guys would still be sure an injury would be right around the corner.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Nah, I'm pretty content saying what I want within the realm of decency, thanks. Either way, I had to dismiss the illogical debate that was "Cutler is more likely to get injured than Stafford this year because of the law of averages?" Seriously?

I'll let the Stafford thing go, but the Lions have only won 9 of their last 49 games. Sure they won a game on the road, the Stafford/Johnson tandem looked impressive, and things are pointing up. But for the Lions that arrows constantly pointing up until they find a way to play themselves out of it via bad luck or bad play (or some combo of the two).

Don't tempt me with illogical football arguments and I won't constantly note that Stafford's made of glass.

**side note** I'm actually a Lions supporter. They're my 2nd favorite team in the division and I want that franchise to turn itself around. Should they beat the ever loving hell out of the Bears and make the playoffs I'd cheer them on. **/side note**

Well the Bears could be in trouble.

Urlacher leaves team due to mom's death

Pretty bad for Url and his family, sucks to lose your mom at any age. I'm not sure if he's going to want to play Sunday, but hopefully football can take his mind off of his loss. I don't think anyone would think less of him if he didn't want to be in the Superdome on Sunday.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived