2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see the point in general, but not in the specific case of a 45-point win. For example, even though the Bills beat the Pats, I think New England would be the better team on a neutral field. But winning by six touchdowns? I think it's pretty clear who is the champ and who's the chump.

It's all academic anyway. Except for the championship, NFL games aren't played on a neutral field, oftentimes require a team to switch time zones, and are also affected by weather. Unless you want to start adding style and/or sympathy points to final scores, I think we already have a pretty clear and good way to determine if one team is better than another. (And in the case of a 45-point spread, there really should be no question at all.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I could see the point in general, but not in the specific case of a 45-point win. For example, even though the Bills beat the Pats, I think New England would be the better team on a neutral field. But winning by six touchdowns? I think it's pretty clear who is the champ and who's the chump.

It's all academic anyway. Except for the championship, NFL games aren't played on a neutral field, oftentimes require a team to switch time zones, and are also affected by weather. Unless you want to start adding style and/or sympathy points to final scores, I think we already have a pretty clear and good way to determine if one team is better than another. (And in the case of a 45-point spread, there really should be no question at all.)

Yes, but for some reasons you didn't mention.

Maybe you guys lost sight of the original discussion, which was someone stating the Niners are better than TB and it's just that plain and simple. That kind of declaration is silly. If we disagree on who's better, fine, and you guys are right about one thing, it's a W for SF and an L for TB regardless. I have no idea why TB melted down the way they did, but if SF is really better, most knowledgeable NFL fans and "experts" would see that as a major change in the conventional wisdom. Right?

Or is this where one or more of you claims to have always thought the Niners were better? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I never cared one way one or another. But after yesterday's game, there's really one reasonable conclusion about which team is better, and San Francisco is that team. It's six touchdowns difference. If SF had spotted TB 35 points, they still would have won. That's pretty definitive.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I never cared one way one or another. But after yesterday's game, there's really one reasonable conclusion about which team is better, and San Francisco is that team. It's six touchdowns difference. If SF had spotted TB 35 points, they still would have won. That's pretty definitive.

Yep, the Niners were better...yesterday. Agreed.

Maybe you guys lost sight of the original discussion, which was someone stating the Niners are better than TB and it's just that plain and simple. That kind of declaration is silly. If we disagree on who's better, fine, and you guys are right about one thing, it's a W for SF and an L for TB regardless. I have no idea why TB melted down the way they did, but if SF is really better, most knowledgeable NFL fans and "experts" would see that as a major change in the conventional wisdom. Right?

Or is this where one or more of you claims to have always thought the Niners were better? :D

Yesterday was an anomaly for both teams. The 49ers aren't 48-3 good and the Bucs aren't 48-3 bad. It was nothing more than a "WTF?" NFL game.

BB52Big.jpg

Yesterday was an anomaly for both teams. The 49ers aren't 48-3 good and the Bucs aren't 48-3 bad. It was nothing more than a "WTF?" NFL game.

But I would have to say after that game is that the 49ers are, without a doubt, better than Tampa Bay.

Blue Sky, what is there to suggest that the Buccaneers are better despite this result? Their resume this year is actually very unimpressive. They eked out a win against a very bad Indy team at home, they fell behind big to, and barely beat, a very bad Vikings team, and beat a Falcons team that really isn't that good this year. That's three unimpressive wins against teams that are a combined 3-11. So far the only teams more inept offensively are the Chiefs, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Rams. Can we stop pretending that they're really all that good?

IUe6Hvh.png

But I would have to say after that game is that the 49ers are, without a doubt, better than Tampa Bay.

Blue Sky, what is there to suggest that the Buccaneers are better despite this result? Their resume this year is actually very unimpressive. They eked out a win against a very bad Indy team at home, they fell behind big to, and barely beat, a very bad Vikings team, and beat a Falcons team that really isn't that good this year. That's three unimpressive wins against teams that are a combined 3-11. So far the only teams more inept offensively are the Chiefs, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Rams. Can we stop pretending that they're really all that good?

Well, that wasn't the debate to begin with, it was only whether going cross country on a short week could influence a team's performance. But hey, the Niners have been impressive and who knows, maybe the wheels are coming off the Bucs. But it's too early to tell really. Let's look at record in Week 12 or so and see what's what.

Well, that wasn't the debate to begin with, it was only whether going cross country on a short week could influence a team's performance. But hey, the Niners have been impressive and who knows, maybe the wheels are coming off the Bucs. But it's too early to tell really. Let's look at record in Week 12 or so and see what's what.

Ahh, okay. I just caught the end of it. It may have had an effect, but not a 45 point effect. I'd say the 49ers are definitely the better team.

IUe6Hvh.png

Bears offensive line...just...just so terrible. Words can't even begin to epitomize what a collection of turds these starting 5 are.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is such a horrible game so far. The Bears are setting records for drawing penalties to sustain a drive, but then getting penalized and moving back. This drive has gone on for 30 minutes but not gotten past midfield.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This drive is making my eyes bleed. The Bears have wasted 2 timeouts on pre-snap confusion (guaranteed to happen every Bears game), easily a dozen penalties on both teams this drive alone, all that just to :censored: up a 4th and 1.

The Bears blow. They BLOW.

update: they're now challenging and will lose, so in one bumbling idiotic drive the Bears have wasted all 3 timeouts. In the first quarter.

twitter

Hee hee hee.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived