2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Not the best performance by Green Bay tonight on either side of the ball, but they got it done when they needed to, and got a tough win on the road. A very good sign.

Next week's SNF matchup: Vikings vs. Bears. I sincerely hope there's a baseball playoff game on that night.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets suck, my fantasy team sucks, oh and my baseball team was eliminated a few days ago. GO LEAFS GO!

Not to start anything here but this is the exact reason why I dislike Jets fans a lot. Especially Under 30 year old Jet fans. You guys are way too in the moment and overreact to everything. After week 2 all I heard around this area in NY was how good the Jets looked. Suddenly they lose three tough road games against three possible playoff teams and all I hear is Jets suck. Granted they looked bad in those games but there's no way a team that has been to back to back championship games sucks. They're still a 10 to 11 win playoff team and you all know it.

The Jets don't exactly "suck" but they aren't as good or full of potential as both their fans and the "experts" think they are. At least I've never seen it in them. Over these past few "close but not quite" seasons, I've never seen the Jets as a serious or legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl. They always look like a 7 to 9 win team that has the breaks go their way more often than not. That sounds crazy since we're talking about a team that's gone to conference championship games, but there are stats people out there who seem to be seeing the same thing I am. These stats people claim that the Jets have literally been the beneficiaries of a lot of lucky bounces.

Apparently, NFL football has sabermetric stats just like baseball does and according to those stats, the Jets have been on the right side of things like turnovers, etc. at a rate that is much higher than average in the NFL. For example: I can't remember the exact number but the Jets were recovering something like 70% of all fumbles. According to the "sabermetrics" folk, 70% is a very high success rate or percentage for an NFL team. They claim that if the Jets fumble recovery percentage had been "normal", their winning percentage would have adjusted accordingly and they would have likely had something like 2-3 less wins per season.

Honestly, I don't know how much stock to put into to the sabermetrics numbers. I know about as much about football sabr stats as I do their baseball counterparts which is to say not much at all. That said, if these numbers are to be believed, they go a long way towards explaining how a team that never looks as good as their record keeps making deep runs into the playoffs.

My point I guess is that maybe this season the Jets are performing more in line with the league average and their record is starting to reflect that.

Well, all that and they really need a better quarterback. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Hard to make the claim that the Packers aren't the best team in the NFC if not in the entire National Football League.

As for the Jets, they've had a tough three game stretch. The road game against Oakland was winnable, but on the road against Baltimore and New England in back to back weeks is a tall order for any team. If they had been able to win those two games, you'd have to say that are the team to beat in the AFC without question. I was even hearing Rex Ryan do some interviews this week and reading between the lines I don't think even he expected to be able to beat New England on the road after coming off a road game against Baltimore.

I know they are 2-3, but by no means is their season over.

Plus, coaches have less impact on a NFL game than you think, as opposed to the players execution of the play given to them.

But who gives them that play?

Yes, talent is hugely important. But so is coaching. A good coach can elevate decent teams into playoff teams and playoff teams into champions. A bad coach can run good teams into the ground.

Yeah, the Packers look by far to be the class of the NFL, now with big wins against New Orleans and at Atlanta. Looking at their schedule, I see that they play Detroit for the first time in week 12. Who would have thought that would be the division game most people were interested in?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, that thanksgiving game is looking to be a big one.

Especially if it's a World Series rematch. And just let your mind kick THAT one around for a few minutes.

I was at a bar with some friends talking about who we'd like to see win the Series, and the consensus pick was Milwaukee. Then I actually said "that region's seen enough winning lately."

If the 2010s mean the emergence of small/non-traditional markets winning championships (Green Bay, San Francisco, Dallas Mavericks), I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If the 2010s mean the emergence of small/non-traditional markets winning championships (Green Bay, San Francisco, Dallas Mavericks), I'm all for it.

Now we just need Washington, Cleveland and Minnesota to start winning.

They keep finding away to win, the defense looked like crap on the first two drives then picked it up the rest of the way. Offense had it's problems, they dealt with Clifton's injury and cruised. I really hope the Pack and Lions are still unbeaten on Thanksgiving.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah, that thanksgiving game is looking to be a big one.

Especially if it's a World Series rematch. And just let your mind kick THAT one around for a few minutes.

I was at a bar with some friends talking about who we'd like to see win the Series, and the consensus pick was Milwaukee. Then I actually said "that region's seen enough winning lately."

Which is funny considering the NHL has gone the opposite and have started the decade with two big market original six teams winning the Cup (in addition to two traditional hockey towns to end the aughts) after years of sun belt and non-traditional teams winning it :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

We're in the driver seat.

Shhh, don't jinx us the week before we play the Iggles. It would warm my heart so much to send them to a 1-5 record.

The only potential downfall I could see for the Redskins is they've played teams with a combined record of 6-12. They're also only +20 on the year and haven't had any blowout losses so far either, so they are not dominating these games. All they're doing is beating bad teams by close margins.

I wouldn't be going crazy over Washington. They lose this week and the Cowboys beat the Rams at home, the Skins are no longer in the "driver's seat".

Its not a 3-1 team that's shown me alot nor a 3-1 team that I would call anywhere near a lock for the playoffs.

Anyone else here think Michael Turner is overrated? Or, eventually won't even be considered a top fifteen tailback?

Yes, Atlanta's offensive line is bad, but he is the most one-dimensional runner I've ever seen. Atlanta needs a guy with some shimmy and some shake. The only shake about Michael Turner is the approximately 1,000 milkshakes he's used to build up those thunder-hips...which evidently slow him down more than help him.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Shhh, don't jinx us the week before we play the Iggles. It would warm my heart so much to send them to a 1-5 record.

The only potential downfall I could see for the Redskins is they've played teams with a combined record of 6-12. They're also only +20 on the year and haven't had any blowout losses so far either, so they are not dominating these games. All they're doing is beating bad teams by close margins.

I wouldn't be going crazy over Washington. They lose this week and the Cowboys beat the Rams at home, the Skins are no longer in the "driver's seat".

Its not a 3-1 team that's shown me alot nor a 3-1 team that I would call anywhere near a lock for the playoffs.

Wait, don't the Cowboys visit New England next?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Wait, don't the Cowboys visit New England next?

They do, Rams are after New England. Misread the schedule. My bad.

My main point though is that this may be the most wide open out of all the divisions in the NFL. I can picture all four teams taking the division title, even the 1-4 Eagles. I don't think any of those teams are dominant, and think they are all very evenly matched talent wise, so I can see this division going down to the last week.

Right now I'd probably say the Cowboys have the best shot to win the division, but I wouldn't even give them 50/50 odds.

Anyone else here think Michael Turner is overrated? Or, eventually won't even be considered a top fifteen tailback?

Yes, Atlanta's offensive line is bad, but he is the most one-dimensional runner I've ever seen. Atlanta needs a guy with some shimmy and some shake. The only shake about Michael Turner is the approximately 1,000 milkshakes he's used to build up those thunder-hips...which evidently slow him down more than help him.

Turner is a great runner. Not a high YPC, but definately can wear down a defense over the course of a game. In different era I would say he would make a great fullback, but no team uses a two back system anymore. They rather sub in and sub out halfbacks.

My only knock against him is that he is zero threat in the passing attack. I don't even think he cracked 100 yards receiving last year, and I'd say you could even make the argument he's quite possibly the worst receiving starting halfback in the NFL. But I don't view him as a liability on the field in any area but the passing game.

Right now I'd probably say the Cowboys have the best shot to win the division, but I wouldn't even give them 50/50 odds.

Based on what? Tony Romo's exceptional play in critical late-game situations?

Archived