College Football Uniforms 2011 SEASON

Brave-Bird 08

Watch the Ohio University football players react to seeing their new black uniforms for the first time

Pretty much confirms that players should never be the ones making the uniform decisions. It's weird seeing a few of those guys who I actually know get swept up in the hype. Jeez guys, they're not that cool.

This type of reaction is exactly what I have been preaching about for quite a long time. Kids today love modern uniforms and the rest of us needs to accept it because it is 2011, not 1971.

No, McCarthy's right. Players shouldn't be the driving force behind uniform design.

"Change" for the sake of change, even "change" for the sake of keeping up with trends, never turns out well.

I never said he was wrong. Trust me, I think those uniforms are ugly, but if they help in any way to get a recruit to come to your school, then I have no problem with it. Hell, I like modern uniforms, but I really don't want my Wildcats wearing black, but if it helps recruiting then I am all for it.

Uniforms as a recruiting tool is a myth.

No, it isn't. ALL of the evidence points the other way. Nobody is stupid enough to think or say that is the ONLY thing that recruits base a decision on. If someone did say, that your post might have a point. But they didn't, so it doesn't.

People say that uniforms help recruit players all the time on these boards and Nuordr said it above. All of the evidence does not point the other way. Actually you deleted evidence that supports my point.

Fact is, every single OU player was recruited with the knowledge they were going to wear non-flashy uniforms and they've managed to assemble a pretty good team for a small school in the MAC.

You are just flat out wrong. I could write a thesis paper on why (and more or less have in the past), but you are flat out wrong. It's not even something that can be intelligently debated to be honest. Doesn't bother me, but I just figured I'd let you know in case you are the kind of person who would be bothered by being wrong.

If I'm so wrong then can I please see some of your evidence for why I'm so wrong. I'm not bothered by being wrong, I'm wrong all the time. I am bothered by being told I'm wrong without seeing any support behind it, and so far you have yet to provide anything. I provided evidence to support my side, you haven't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the uniforms matter in recruiting. its a mostly matter of brand positioning. kids go to Oklahoma and Auburn partly because they know they'll be around the best in in the country. coaches and players. they'll compete for a national championship every year. (location, weather, campus, education, tuition. etc are other factors) the schools who cant compete with that and are at the bottom of their market need to do something to attract kids. uniforms are part of it. ive said before just talk to some kids, so many want to wear Oregon uniforms. how about the kid that turned down Baylor because "their colors were ugly and wernt a Nike school"?

its not that different from package and identity design. it comes back to market positioning, value perception, a change in target audience etc. all those things that call for a rebrand/redesign. if you're in the top 3 of your market theres no reason to change. if you're at the bottom you have to change. the problem is probably the mostly product (that relates to football as well) but changing what you look like can go a long way. it dosnt solve the every problem but it does matter

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Watch the Ohio University football players react to seeing their new black uniforms for the first time

Pretty much confirms that players should never be the ones making the uniform decisions. It's weird seeing a few of those guys who I actually know get swept up in the hype. Jeez guys, they're not that cool.

This type of reaction is exactly what I have been preaching about for quite a long time. Kids today love modern uniforms and the rest of us needs to accept it because it is 2011, not 1971.

No, McCarthy's right. Players shouldn't be the driving force behind uniform design.

"Change" for the sake of change, even "change" for the sake of keeping up with trends, never turns out well.

I never said he was wrong. Trust me, I think those uniforms are ugly, but if they help in any way to get a recruit to come to your school, then I have no problem with it. Hell, I like modern uniforms, but I really don't want my Wildcats wearing black, but if it helps recruiting then I am all for it.

No, it isn't. ALL of the evidence points the other way. Nobody is stupid enough to think or say that is the ONLY thing that recruits base a decision on. If someone did say, that your post might have a point. But they didn't, so it doesn't.

People say that uniforms help recruit players all the time on these boards and Nuordr said it above. All of the evidence does not point the other way. Actually you deleted evidence that supports my point.

Fact is, every single OU player was recruited with the knowledge they were going to wear non-flashy uniforms and they've managed to assemble a pretty good team for a small school in the MAC.

You are just flat out wrong. I could write a thesis paper on why (and more or less have in the past), but you are flat out wrong. It's not even something that can be intelligently debated to be honest. Doesn't bother me, but I just figured I'd let you know in case you are the kind of person who would be bothered by being wrong.

If I'm so wrong then can I please see some of your evidence for why I'm so wrong. I'm not bothered by being wrong, I'm wrong all the time. I am bothered by being told I'm wrong without seeing any support behind it, and so far you have yet to provide anything. I provided evidence to support my side, you haven't.

Go back and search through my old posts. I have posted the reasons several times and I'd prefer not to bother the members who have already read it multiple times with another post on it (which could take the thread off-topic).

The Ohio players flip their :censored: when they realize they're getting black uniforms.

How the hell can you argue against BFBS after seeing this? The players loved them, they won the game, and nobody got hurt. No harm no foul.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

How can I argue against it? It looks terrible.

Exactly. Can players not win games in colors other than black? Does every player get hurt if they aren't wearing black?

Ohio had some of the best looking uniforms in college football.

you have to love that video. regardless what you think about the uniforms (i dont like them much either) this is why you do things like this. this is why doing something different from the normal (as in having an alternate jersey) and breaking up the routine of seeing the same stuff all the time is a good idea. brand equity and tradition can take you a long way. Ohio dosnt have a lot to be proud about. doing something fresh like this, well like Spleen said. you cant argue with results. the players loved them. im sure most of teh student body/fans do too. you couldnt ask for a better reaction than this

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

you have to love that video. regardless what you think about the uniforms (i dont like them much either) this is why you do things like this. this is why doing something different from the normal (as in having an alternate jersey) and breaking up the routine of seeing the same stuff all the time is a good idea. brand equity and tradition can take you a long way. Ohio dosnt have a lot to be proud about. doing something fresh like this, well like Spleen said. you cant argue with results. the players loved them. im sure most of teh student body/fans do too. you couldnt ask for a better reaction than this

The students loved them (minus me haha). But technically, they didn't use a non-school color. Black is an official athletic color of OU, so I wasn't too shocked to see them come out with them eventually. It just sucks because their regular uniforms are so damn nice

Manchester-City-icon.png

Go back and search through my old posts. I have posted the reasons several times and I'd prefer not to bother the members who have already read it multiple times with another post on it (which could take the thread off-topic).

yeah, I'm not gonna do that. If you want to call me wrong the onus is on you to provide the evidence not on me to go seek it out.

PvO6ZWJ.png

yeah, I'm not gonna do that. If you want to call me wrong the onus is on you to provide the evidence not on me to go seek it out.

Like I said, I've done it several times before. Trying to derail the thread or upset everyone who's already had to live through those arguments.

It's a Gold Rush here in Morgantown, which can mean only one thing....

The return of the Banana Suits!

20091002wvu2_500.jpg

I surprisingly like this look, even though I usually hate monochromatic uniforms.

That is going to look AWFUL next to this:

jjefferson.jpg

It's a Gold Rush here in Morgantown, which can mean only one thing....

The return of the Banana Suits!

20091002wvu2_500.jpg

I surprisingly like this look, even though I usually hate monochromatic uniforms.

That is going to look AWFUL next to this:

jjefferson.jpg

That same thought crossed my mind gdu... that's gonna be a whole lotta yellow. Too bad LSU can't just rock their new pro combats.

90758391980.gif

I don't want to speak for gdu, but I've had this conversation with him before. His stance is that while no self-respecting recruit will make his choice based on uniforms the wacky uniforms, Oregon style mix and match, and one-off gaudy sets get recruits to consider schools they would otherwise ignore. A kid may not decide to go to Maryland because of their flag uniforms, but the flag uniforms at least get them to consider the school, afterwards they might choose to go to Maryland because of the opportunities offered.

I think there's some truth to that, but at the same time I don't think it excuses some of these monstrosities. Consistently playing competitive football, hiring the best coaches, and having the best facilities possible would also do the trick, but that's not as easy to do as simply getting Nike, Russel, or whoever to design a gaudy uniform.

At the end of the day, the list of the top 10 recruiters can't be dismissed either. From my conversation with gdu there have been current and former Texas players calling for the Longhorns to adopt a black alternate. They won't, because Texas doesn't need to. Which means that while recruits may love this unnecessary crap now, it's not enough to sway them. Texas is still going to get recruits who may want Texas to adopt black. Texas will say no, and the recruits will still come to Texas.

I think what you aren;t realizing, is that schools like Ohio can't hire the best coaches, cant get the best recruits, and can't win consistently, because they don't have to name brand. Uniforms like Maryland's flag uniform give them an opportunity, like gdu said, to pay attention to a school they otherwise wouldn't. And if they get some recruits because of that, they can build a program, and a growing program gets better coaches, which leads to more winning. You can't just magically one day go "Ok, we're tired of being bad, let's get some great coaches and recruits to fix it." It doesn't work like that. You have to get people to recognize your first, and one way to do that is new uniforms.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

At the end of the day, the list of the top 10 recruiters can't be dismissed either. From my conversation with gdu there have been current and former Texas players calling for the Longhorns to adopt a black alternate. They won't, because Texas doesn't need to. Which means that while recruits may love this unnecessary crap now, it's not enough to sway them. Texas is still going to get recruits who may want Texas to adopt black. Texas will say no, and the recruits will still come to Texas.

Darrell Royal said that the UT uniforms are "work clothes." As long as he's still around, I figure they'll listen to him on that point. After all, if it weren't for his sense of logos (the longhorn silhouette), they wouldn't be the top-selling franchise in college sports.

Darrell Royal said that the UT uniforms are "work clothes." As long as he's still around, I figure they'll listen to him on that point. After all, if it weren't for his sense of logos (the longhorn silhouette), they wouldn't be the top-selling franchise in college sports.

He did say that, but he also spent time developing a logo, changing the uniform colors and adding and removing stripes, so he did think of them as a little more than just "work clothes." He sits right in front of us at Texas basketball games.

Word going around is that ASU is going to wear it's 4th different combination in as many games. This week against USC, we're supposedly going all Maroon:

Maroon-Out.png

The Maroon combo of the last few years (Jersey, Pants, Gold helmet) looked atrocious. I don't know why, but this look a little better. I'm still against it, and my biggest problem is using it against USC. ASU's gold helmet was always the thing that separated us from USC's cardinal helmet. We shared the gold pants, the maroon/cardinal jerseys are damn close, and then the helmets contrasted. This week, the only difference in color is really going to be on the pants, because USC's white jerseys have the cardinal numbers and stripes.

We all knew that the maroon combo was coming out at somepoint. I just don't think USC is the team to do it against.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived