What should replace Fighting Sioux?

winghaz

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LetsGoDU is a hockey blog for the University of Denver and apparently they received this email today.

LetGoDU received this email via the grapevine.

"As of January 1, 2012, the University of North Dakota will no longer use either the Fighting Sioux nickname or logo.

As of that date, please only refer to our athletic teams as the University of North Dakota and please use the interlocking ND logo as the official logo of the UND Athletics Department."

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

chriscj83, you've obviously never been to Mind Rot ... er ... Minot. ^_^

With a tagline like "Why not Minot" how can the population NOT grow?

Wait...it's not pronounced "mah-NO"...?

Huh. Learn something new every day. I've even been there (well, passed through) and always thought it was pronounced like it was French.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Probably like Fond du Lac in Wisconsin, which was founded by French traders but has since taken on an Ammurican lilt.

Should sound like "Phone du Lock" but Wisconsin mouths have made it "Fahndelack". ;)

Plenty of those. Just didn't know Minot was one of them.

One of my favorites has to be Versailles, Kentucky - pronounced ver-SAILS. One of my fraternity brothers was from there.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Probably like Fond du Lac in Wisconsin, which was founded by French traders but has since taken on an Ammurican lilt.

Should sound like "Phone du Lock" but Wisconsin mouths have made it "Fahndelack". ;)

One of my favorites has to be Versailles, Kentucky - pronounced ver-SAILS. One of my fraternity brothers was from there.

Detroit.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

We've got one of those here in Indiana, too. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

Actually, funny you mention that because that is where i am from (actually i grew up in the village of North Fond du Lac but still same thing). i just graduated last year from the High School in NFDL.

but yea you have it spot on with the pronunciation.

LetsGoDU is a hockey blog for the University of Denver and apparently they received this email today.

"As of January 1, 2012, the University of North Dakota will no longer use either the Fighting Sioux nickname or logo.

As of that date, please only refer to our athletic teams as the University of North Dakota and please use the interlocking ND logo as the official logo of the UND Athletics Department."

Are they going to have no nickname? It seems like this is an easy way for the fans to keep unofficially calling them the Sioux. If they chose a new name, many people would adopt the new nickname.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

My wife grew up near Dubois, Pa. -- pronounced "doo-boyce."

Are they going to have no nickname? It seems like this is an easy way for the fans to keep unofficially calling them the Sioux. If they chose a new name, many people would adopt the new nickname.

It could just be that they don't want to adopt a new name in the middle of the school year, but it may be a good idea for them to just go without a nickname for awhile and allow the students who are connected to the Sioux name to graduate. Then if a future generation of students feels so inclined, they can choose a new name on their own without feeling like it's a "replacement." North Dakota has a great set of mascots to choose from that are just as good as Sioux based on their own merits, it'd be a shame to see a name like Fighting Norse or Roughriders be crapped on the way Marquette alums (even those who weren't even students before 1992) reject any notion of being "Golden Eagles."

My wife grew up near Dubois, Pa. -- pronounced "doo-boyce."

(Western) Pennsylvania don't count in this discussion...they don't know how to pronounce nothing right over there. :P

But yeah, DuBois and North Versailles are the worst. They also call it "ver-SALES" out there too, and used to give me flak for pronouncing it the French (and correct) way, "ver-SI". But then, you gotta remember them folks somehow got "alluh-GAINY" out of "Allegheny", and "YOK-uh-GAINY" out of "Youghiogheny" (another river that runs through there)--but then, I don't think one person in America outside of Pittsburgh would have even half a clue how to pronounce that one upon first glance.

(Or maybe I'm the one that's backwards...you see, I grew up my whole life thinking Andrew Carnegie's last name was pronounced "CAR-nuh-GEE"--after all, that is how LeVar Burton used to say it during the closing credits of Reading Rainbow"--but then I get up to Pittsburgh and all of a sudden it became "car-NAY-gee". Eh well...I digress.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

We've got one of those here in Indiana, too. ;)

We have one in Ohio, too.

Hmm, worth a shot.

• North Dakota Mighty Sioux
  • North Dakota Biting Sioux
  • North Dakota Biking Sioux
  • North Dakota Lightning Sioux
  • North Dakota Fighting Insurgents
  • North Dakota Weapons of Mass Destructors
  • North Dakota Gamblers
  • North Dakota the One Without the Presidents on the Mountain-ers
  • North Dakota Basically Canadians
  • North Dakota Excitement
  • North Dakota Dodgers
  • North Dakota 2012ers

Why not call them what everyone outside of ND calls them--"Fighting Sewage"? It's "green".

Commissioner of the Northern Lights Hockey Association (NLHA), Founded 1981 with Albert M. Tischler. Owner Minnesota Griffins 6 time AURORA BOREALIS CUP winners. Defending Champion 2011 is Houston Roughnecks.

The state law from the special legislative session says there must be a three-year waiting period before UND will have a nickname to replace the Fighting Sioux. As much as I love the Sioux nickname, that piece of legislation really sucks. One has to move on, and the legislature prevented that.

I also thought of another possible nickname: Rattlers. Lots of rattlesnakes in western North Dakota (although UND is in eastern N.D.), and there was a minor league baseball team located in Bismarck called the Dakota Rattlers.

Archived