What should replace Fighting Sioux?

winghaz

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just stay put with "University of North Dakota?" Sports franchises around the world are known by the official name instead and have somewhat unofficial nicknames. They should just be called North Dakota and the fanbase can continue to support them as the Fighting Sioux

Short of any better alternatives, I've always liked this idea. Now, though, i'm really into this Fighting Norse idea. The university celebrates Norwegian culture just as much, if not more, than American Indian culture. It has long had a grant Norwegian transfer program. If you look at the UND home page right now, it has a piece discussing reaction on campus to the Norwegian shootings from a few months back. This might seem like a good opportunity to tap into a different portion of the university's heritage.

After reading all that, "Fighting Norse" might not be such a bad idea, after all.

Good luck coming up with an identity that'll top this, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Why not go back to being the North Dakota Flickertails?

*dodges rotten fruit*

Okay...how about something that pays homage to the booming oil industry that's making the state prosperous? You could go with the Oilers, Roughnecks, Drillers, Derricks, etc.

Earthquakes?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Always been a fan of Bison as a college nickname.

Doesn't look like they will be changing anytime in the near future though.

North Dakota State is the Bison, anyway

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You could also go the route of airplanes/air force. UND has I believe the top ranked pilot program in the nation, and grand forks has an AFB. Thunderbirds? Might be too close to ndsu's nickname, bison aka the thundering herd.

I would think the university would be reticent to showcase one academic program over another, even if the aersospace school gets the most notoriety. I'd worry that it miscasts the university's brand as a whole, telling the world that we're known for aviation while underselling everything else.

I know athletic and academic branding can be two separate things, but I could see this as a stumbling block to an aerospace-themed identity.

(And are we finished with the "Fighting Sue" jokes yet?)

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

This is based off the local Air Force base and their new Global Hawks squadron. Starting in May 2011, Grand Forks will also station a detachment of RQ-4 Global Hawks, operated as a detachment of the 9th Reconnaissance Group out of Beale AFB, CA. Some of the aircraft will transfer from Beale AFB. The base is also scheduled to receive several new Block 40 Global Hawks, beginning in 2012. The first Global Hawk arrived at the base on or around 26 May 2011.[4]

061003-F-7441T-003.jpg

spacer.png

Hawks does sound good but I was also think of anything that has to do with horses like Mustangs or Stallions. I think of this because the Native Americans rode/ride Nokota horses and there is still some wild ones in Teddy Rossevelt National Park.

Nokota_Horses.jpg

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Lost amongst the tired-ass puns and whatnot...

Thirty-Niners (after being the 39th state to join the Union)....

...Dude might be onto something here.

Think about it...who's to say what a "39er" looks like, or what type of imagery could be tied to it? So far, I've seen two ways a new ND identity could tilt: Native American, or Norwegian. Why not find a way to combine the two and unite them under a new banner..."39ers"? Both are intertwined into the state's history, and as Tygers mentioned, ND was the 39th state admitted to the Union...and as far as college nicknames go, it'd definitely be among the more unique and distinct ones out there. (And then there's the whole "unity" aspect that would result from a combined identity.)

To me, it just makes too much sense.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived