CCSLC Badges

raysox

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png

http://s53.photobuck.../NFL/?start=all

Not every special helmet could be made, like the Bengals and Rams

The stripes on the Dolphins and Redskins are off, and the Bills should have a little taper. Other than that, these look great.

And I'm assuming the gold NFL one is for completing a league? Do past completed leagues count?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, all this will do is encourage feedback posts like "nominate for a badge" or "badge worthy" (followed by "yeah I agree") or something like that. The concept forum has already been destroyed over the past 4 or 5 years by 13 year-olds posting crappy feedback like "needs stripes" or "no." or "I like it". My feeling (again, unless I'm misunderstanding) is that this is only going to lead to even poorer feedback. Could be wrong though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not feeling the fantasy team or whatever badge. It just seems like that would open up a whole new Pandora box of badges that you guys want.

Awesome idea ray, but you do need a 'category' for original team/league concepts.

Personally, I'd much rather create something from scratch than 'tweak' someone else's creation.

Also this is a great idea, but a big one; a lot of work for a few people.

What if...you created a few 'panels'-

- a logo design panel (red)

- a uniform design panel (blue)

- a wordmark/script/ typography panel (green)

- a concept panel (black)

Each panel can award a badge at any time. Their badge would have the corresponding coloured outline.

So, for example, a great wordmark for the Yanks, could win you a Yankee badge in a green border.

Each badge would also be nomination for the CCSLC Awards at year end.

A generic logo could be created for concepts/designs for fictional teams/leagues.

Again, it's a cool, big idea, and I think you could get a lot of help on this.

I think that the "Drawbrawl" was too much work for too few people.

I'd certainly help on this one ray if you need it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, all this will do is encourage feedback posts like "nominate for a badge" or "badge worthy" (followed by "yeah I agree") or something like that. The concept forum has already been destroyed over the past 4 or 5 years by 13 year-olds posting crappy feedback like "needs stripes" or "no." or "I like it". My feeling (again, unless I'm misunderstanding) is that this is only going to lead to even poorer feedback. Could be wrong though.

Agreed. The badges look nice, it sounds like a good idea on paper, a lot of thought has clearly been put into this, but let's be honest. All I can see this doing is replacing "I LOVE IT DO MY TEAM LOLZ" with "I LOVE IT CAN I HAS BADGE PLZ".

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Agreed. The badges look nice, it sounds like a good idea on paper, a lot of thought has clearly been put into this, but let's be honest. All I can see this doing is replacing "I LOVE IT DO MY TEAM LOLZ" with "I LOVE IT CAN I HAS BADGE PLZ".

Those members are going to be here no matter what you do, just like on every other board. Also, the members doing the C&C don't get the badge, the member creating the concept does. Its a great idea, and some more tweaking to the criteria to get a badge need to be addressed, but the whole purpose i think raysox was trying to get to was to get better quality concepts, and to encourage members to try harder.

t8ojkk.jpg24fhb3a.pngopr7er.png23tfsx.png

Yeah, this is what I meant by my last post. I applaud the idea of every concept competing for badges. I should have worded it better. The comments will either be (good, badge) or (bad, no badge). Like BBTV said, this could actually encourage better feedback as it will take more scrutiny to see if the member deserves a badge. I hope that's the route it goes.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Which is why I said have the committee. We could just give the committee the power to say badge/no badge.

It's better to have a committee so there's no "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" going on.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

If you do a great D-backs concept and then you do a completely different D-backs concept 6 months later, do you get 2 badges or do you just keep one? And if you do a league and 10 of the concepts are badge worthy and the rest are not, do you still get a badge? And are gold league patches only for league series or for when you do a badge worthy concept for every team in a league?

Another idea would be that you are only allowed to nominate badges if you give constructive criticism (something like a minimum of 15 words of C&C before you nominate for a badge). This badge thing could either revive or bury the concepts section, but seeing the direction the forum is going, I'd say go for it.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Yeah, this is what I meant by my last post. I applaud the idea of every concept competing for badges. I should have worded it better. The comments will either be (good, badge) or (bad, no badge). Like BBTV said, this could actually encourage better feedback as it will take more scrutiny to see if the member deserves a badge. I hope that's the route it goes.

That's actually the exact opposite of what I said.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think this has some potential to help the situation that has slowly arisen on the concept forum, but I dont think it will solve the issue entirely.

I hate to have to say this because I know the amount of time and work certain members put into producing them, but I cant help but feel that the ease of template availability has a lot to do with the number of poor rushed concepts we've been seeing lately. It's become way to easy to throw together a concept as the templates are now so easy to use that any newb can pick it up and literally 5 mins later have a "concept series" on the go with little or no thought involved whatsoever. Now I'm not blaming the people who made the templates they were created with the best of intentions and have helped improve the work of those willing to put the effort in ten fold, there's no denying that, but a sad by-product is that the concept forum is now awash with "paint by numbers" concept threads.

This wont please the masses I'm sure but personally I think the only hope for saving the concept forum is to take it right back to grass roots. The site this forum is attached to is Chris Creamers Sports LOGOS Community, not Chris Creamers Sports FASHION Community. There are FAR to many concepts that just involve tweaking uni's, they dont even touch the logo AT ALL, not even a colour swap! Frankly I reckon that's the biggest problem. These cookie cutter concepts can and are being produced so fast they push all the original stuff off the front page before people get a chance to see it.

Designing a logo takes time, effort and skill, the latter develops the more of the first two you put in. But the large influx of Newbs we've had recently doesn't seem to want to put in that effort when changing up the colours on a template is easy and gives them better results than they could manage on their own.

Judging by some of the efforts I've seen in here lately that's exaclty what the majority are now doing with varying degrees of success, or rather failure looking at the results. I'm all for including uni's as PART of an over all redesign package, they are an important part of a redesign and a teams aesthetic after all, but I feel the emphasis of the forum has swung totally to far towards uni's and as a result the best logo designers on here are leaving in their droves. I think a blanket ban on uni only concepts is about the only way to save the concept forum.

It may seem like overkill but I've only been a member a few years now and I can remember when I joined you would see at the very least a new logo every other day, sometimes you would get multiples on the same day. Now we're lucky if we see that in a week, and the sad part is there are probably more threads started now than when I joined.

What needs to change is what IS posted, sure offering rewards for good work could help change that, but the question is will it change it fast enough to save the community and I'm not sure it will. I'll happily help out in whatever capacity I can if people want me to, but no disrespect to this idea which has potential I cant help feeling more drastic action than merit badges is needed.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

@9erssteve:

So what you're saying is that newbs shouldn't publish their work because they aren't as skilled as the experienced members of this forum? I can't help but ask you how can someone develop without the C&C they need in the start of this hobby. Everyone needs somewhere to begin. As a newb myself who just finished their first concept I was so happy to see that people were trying to help me make my work look better and at the end I was thrilled to see that the guys here at CCSLC and I created this awesome concept. I realize it's frustrating for someone as experienced as you to see a bad concept, but that's the way us newbs start. What you should take away from there being a lot of newb concepts on the boards is that it's great to see more and more people get into this kind of thing. I think very few people put up concepts that they've worked 5 minutes on, and if they do, then don't comment on them and they won't get bumped.

I partially agree with you on too little logos being posted on CCSLC, I was a little surprised when I joined here that there aren't more logos put up. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't any. There are more uniform concepts currently made, but all I can say to that is that it's a current trend on the boards right now. I myself love uniform concepts and I'd want there to be even more of them posted (as well as more logos), so I don't really have an issue with this. I think you're also slightly over-exaggerating with only one new logo every week, or at least I've already seen three or four new ones in since I joined about 5 or 6 days ago. And besides, uniforms just as well as logos are part of sports design!

As for a ban on uniforms... That's not a smart idea. If a ban came into action than a lot of people who make good concepts and want to improve would be totally unable to create and share! If we want more logos, then we should definitely come up with another way than banning uniforms.

Archived