Which league has the best throwbacks?

Chawls

MLB started it. The NHL does it. The NFL does it. The NBA does it. Even the CFL does it. So as a whole, who has the best throwbacks. Also, please state WHY you feel the way you feel. I don't want this to be another thread where people just post pictures. There are many aspects to wearing a throwback we can discuss: colors, fabrics, how it fits a modern template, significance of the era represented, etc.

As a whole, even though I don't watch it (I live in Louisiana), I'll say the NHL has the best group. The modern template doesn't force them to be inaccurate fauxbacks, which is refreshing. As sweaters, they have much more material to work with than a short-sleeved or sleeveless jersey. The array of colors are beautiful. The eras span over 100 years! That's why I choose the NHL.

Favorite individual sweater (just for the heck of it):

NHL%20Jerseys%20Montreal%20Canadiens%2091%20GOMEZ%20Red%20Green.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Hard to say. MLB has the longest and richest US history, so their throwbacks (for the most part) come across as classics. I also love when NBA teams pay tributes to ABA teams that used to play for that same city.

I suppose I rank true throwbacks in this order:

1) MLB

2) NBA

3) NFL

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

hockey used to do them the best, except for the latest trend of faux-backs like the bruins winter classics, or the flyers with black nameplates on a white jersey. i'd also like to see some other kind of collar on throwbacks than a draw-string. maybe a rounded collar for those white canadiens chest-stripe throwbacks? just an idea.

i'm not much of a basketball fan, but i think they do throwbacks pretty well. especially when the players really get into it and wear retro headbands and shoes and high socks and all that.

MLB hands down. With NHL a distant second. Like JohnnySeoul said MLB has the longest and richest history of all sports leagues in the US. Thus, making throwbacks more varied and less stale than other leagues.

MLB hands down. With NHL a distant second. Like JohnnySeoul said MLB has the longest and richest history of all sports leagues in the US. Thus, making throwbacks more varied and less stale than other leagues.

True. But we don't have to limit this to the United States alone. That's why I mentioned the CFL in my OP.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Hard to say. MLB has the longest and richest US history, so their throwbacks (for the most part) come across as classics. I also love when NBA teams pay tributes to ABA teams that used to play for that same city.

I suppose I rank true throwbacks in this order:

1) MLB

2) NBA

3) NFL

Ooops...forgot about the NHL.

1) MLB

2) NBA

3) NHL

4) NFL

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

What I hate about MLB throwbacks is how baggy they make the jerseys. It seems that every pullover jersey worn the past few years has been two sizes too big on every player. Then there are too many teams that wear their current batting helmets with a throwback that doesn't match. MLB still has a lot of room for improvement for me to consider them the best. I think the NHL is at the top right now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

What I hate about MLB throwbacks is how baggy they make the jerseys. It seems that every pullover jersey worn the past few years has been two sizes too big on every player. Then there are too many teams that wear their current batting helmets with a throwback that doesn't match. MLB still has a lot of room for improvement for me to consider them the best. I think the NHL is at the top right now.

The size differential in MLB bothers me as well. It just doesn't look right (for example) when Heath Bell, Orlando Hudson, and Cameron Maybin don the San Diego Padres "Taco Bell" uniforms of the 1970s and 80s in the modern baggy style, when players like Goose Gossage, Tony Gwynn, and Graig Nettles wore them the exact opposite way--tight-fitting and pants bloused to expose stirrups. Before MLB throwbacks go any further, some of the players need to be taught lessons on how to wear them properly.

And don't even get me started on the crappy job that Majestic does in reproducing the unis themselves!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

1, MLB. No question. Baseball is about tradition. Baseball makes throwbacks fun.

2, NFL. It's kind of nice to see some of the old uniforms again.

3, NBA. Almost as good as the NFL, except a lot of the old looks aren't as well known as the NFL ones.

4, NHL. Yeah, at the bottom, but still a pretty good No. 4. Good, but just not as good as the top three.

I don't really see why hockey is even on this list? Throwback games are incredibly rare. Outdoor games, and the Kings-Canucks game last year, plus a handful of others since the 1991-92 75th anniversary, and that's literally it. throwback third jerseys don't really count, they're used as third jerseys and the other team rarely wears a throwback to correspond with it.

Baseball is by far the best simply because they do throwback games on a regular basis, not just anniversary years, not just thanksgiving or new years, they actually try.

If hockey stepped up and the teams had some fun with throwbacks on their own, it would be different, but they don't.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived