Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Sawks and Cubs are thinking about pursuing John Ferrell as their manager. According to AA not gonna happen. Ferrell is a Jay.

I could see the Jays asking for some compensation if he had been around a couple of years, but they just hired him, so I would be very surprised if he leaves the Jays as well.

Also John Lackey is set to undergo Tommy John surgery and hopefully some lipo. Needs to start staying away from the colonel.

So the Sawks and Cubs are thinking about pursuing John Ferrell as their manager. According to AA not gonna happen. Ferrell is a Jay.

I could see the Jays asking for some compensation if he had been around a couple of years, but they just hired him, so I would be very surprised if he leaves the Jays as well.

Also John Lackey is set to undergo Tommy John surgery and hopefully some lipo. Needs to start staying away from the colonel.

Popeye's. There's one right down the street from Fenway.

Cubs + Epstein = 82-80

Cubs + Epstein + Francona = 86-76

So if the Cubs sign Francona, the Cubs are about 5 wins better than they are with someone else.

25yzwqg.png

You really think a manager can add you 5 wins?

No, AnythingChicago thinks a manager can add them 4 wins :P

EXACTLY!!!!!! ;)

But, seriously, of course he can. Where would the Cardinals be without La Russa (no bullpen phone jokes, please) this year? On their couches watching the Brewers-Rangers series. Because that little 4-5 (even if it was only 1-2) game difference put the Cardinals ahead of the Braves for the wild card.

25yzwqg.png

You really think a manager can add you 5 wins?

No, AnythingChicago thinks a manager can add them 4 wins :P

EXACTLY!!!!!! ;)

But, seriously, of course he can. Where would the Cardinals be without La Russa (no bullpen phone jokes, please) this year? On their couches watching the Brewers-Rangers series. Because that little 4-5 (even if it was only 1-2) game difference put the Cardinals ahead of the Braves for the wild card.

I think Dave Duncan has made a greater impact to that team than La Russa ever has.

ST. LOUIS — The Yankees are close to completing a new contract proposal for the left-hander C.C. Sabathia, which they intend to present to him before he can opt out of his current contract, according to a baseball executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

It is not known what the new offer entails, but it would sweeten Sabathia’s already lucrative deal because the Yankees are committed to bringing him back.

Continue Reading

By the way, from here on out, the Yankees should really have a policy of no opt outs. Having CC at his current deal, which has only 4 years left on it would be really ideal. I'm not sure any ball player deserves the kind of money these guys get, but CC has really lived up to the contract he signed 3 years ago. Can't say the same for a lot of starting pitchers who got long term deals.

ST. LOUIS ? The Yankees are close to completing a new contract proposal for the left-hander C.C. Sabathia, which they intend to present to him before he can opt out of his current contract, according to a baseball executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

It is not known what the new offer entails, but it would sweeten Sabathia?s already lucrative deal because the Yankees are committed to bringing him back.

Continue Reading

By the way, from here on out, the Yankees should really have a policy of no opt outs. Having CC at his current deal, which has only 4 years left on it would be really ideal. I'm not sure any ball player deserves the kind of money these guys get, but CC has really lived up to the contract he signed 3 years ago. Can't say the same for a lot of starting pitchers who got long term deals.

So does this mean that Cashman will not be testing the water in the Yu Darvish extravaganza then?

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

9:00am press conference scheduled at Busch Stadium today. I think every Cardinal fan is hoping for one thing, but it'll probably just end up being them announcing that LaRussa's coming back, at the most.

Not quite...La Russa announces retirement.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief. It is also official that the Indians picked up the option on Fausto Carmona but did NOT pick up the $9 million option on Grady Sizemore.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived