Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

I love this dude. I'm almost positive he would of gotten a better deal in free agency. Money wise, no... but probably more years.

He's 31 years old and was obese for most of his career (and it still extremely fat after losing weight last year). It is a modern miracle he has stayed healthy and performed well to this point, but eventually he is going to hit a wall hard. That's what happens when you weigh 350 (and I don't care what he says, he was a stone's throw from 350 before this year). His body hs a lot of wear and tear on it. Nobody would have offered him more than 5 years. I will be amazed if he is still a starter by year five.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief. It is also official that the Indians picked up the option on Fausto Carmona but did NOT pick up the $9 million option on Grady Sizemore.

I see that sizemoredoesntmatter.

:P

I mean... outside of his 1 and 1/2 good seasons, he really didn't matter. He had got to be one of the most overrated baseball players in the last 25 years. He had a hell of a season when he made his first All Star Game, but the league adjusted fairly quickly and his gaping flaws showed. People ignored it because of the 2007 playoff run and "Grady's Ladies" but when you actually watched him play, it was disappointing.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I love this dude. I'm almost positive he would of gotten a better deal in free agency. Money wise, no... but probably more years.

He's 31 years old and was obese for most of his career (and it still extremely fat after losing weight last year). It is a modern miracle he has stayed healthy and performed well to this point, but eventually he is going to hit a wall hard. That's what happens when you weigh 350 (and I don't care what he says, he was a stone's throw from 350 before this year). His body hs a lot of wear and tear on it. Nobody would have offered him more than 5 years. I will be amazed if he is still a starter by year five.

He's one of the most durable pitchers in the game. Only 1 pitcher has thrown more innings than he has since he made his debut in 2001. I'm also pretty sure he's been a big dude that entire time. At this point, he's no more risky than any other 31 year old. I highly highly doubt that CC Sabathia wouldn't get more than a 5 year deal in a pitching thin market.

And apparently you don't read Hardball Times. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/does-size-matter-part-6/

Tall pitchers, we find, are slightly worse-off than short pitchers, and overweight pitchers tend to perform better than their skinny brethren. Given that overweight pitchers also survive for much longer time periods in the major leagues, all else being equal, invest in fat guys. But generally, all else is not equal, in which the case the answer should be obvious: Go for the better ballplayer, always.

My predictions for some of the bigger Free Agents and where they will end up:

Albert Pujols: Cardinals

Prince Fielder: Cubs

Jose Reyes: Nationals (wishful thinking... my honest pick is probably the Tigers)

C.J Wilson: Angels

Yu Darvish: Yankees

Edwin Jackson: Nationals

Jimmy Rollins: Phillies

Jonathon Papelbon: Phillies

David Ortiz: Blue Jays

Carlos Beltran: Red Sox

90758391980.gif

Some of my predictions:

Jose Reyes: Marlins

Edwin Jackson: Yankees

Fransico Rodriguez: Angels

Ryan Madson: Red Sox

Carlos Beltran: Giants

Where do you guys have Ryan Madson going? If they had their choice of giving Madson $11M/yr or Papelbon $12M/yr, they're gonna re-sign their own guy...

Also I don't think the Mets are gonna throw $10M+/yr at a closer when they're gonna finish 4th. MLBTR predicts they'll take a chance on Broxton...

Jays will be active, especially with the bigger names. Pujols, Fielder, Papelbon. Just wonder if they can get anyone of them, money is no problem. Ortiz is all fine and dandy if this was 2004-2007.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Buster Olney https://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/131509741368262656

NYY figure a lot of their winter work will be in trade discussions, because they've got prospects to deal -- and they will talk pitching.

Anyone have ideas on who could possibly be available? I wonder what it would take to get John Danks and Matt Thornton from the White Sox. Also, most Yankee fans I hear from are dying for King Felix, some even mention Clayton Kershaw. I don't see either being traded. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants dangle Matt Cain, who will be a free agent this time next year.

My predictions for some of the bigger Free Agents and where they will end up:

Jose Reyes: Nationals (wishful thinking... my honest pick is probably the Tigers)

Edwin Jackson: Nationals

Carlos Beltran: Red Sox

BITE YOUR TONGUE! I don't want that (inevitably) overpaid, rapidly aging outfielder anywhere near the Red Sox! Let Reddick and Kalish battle it out for right, and sign either Cody Ross or Josh Willingham to be the fourth outfielder (because there's no way that Darnell McDonald is staying in the majors).

spacer.png

My 2 and only 2 crazy predictions for the big off season free agents:

Pujols to Angels (Cardinals)

Fielder to Nationals (Cubs)

How's that for covering my tracks?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

My 2 and only 2 crazy predictions for the big off season free agents:

Pujols to Angels (Cardinals)

Fielder to Nationals (Cubs)

How's that for covering my tracks?

I could definitely see the Nats scooping Fielder. Half of our team are Boras guys, he's probably going to tell Fielder we will go above and beyond what he might be worth. I just fear him turning into a Albert Belle/Mo Vaughn like meatball in a few seasons.

90758391980.gif

BITE YOUR TONGUE! I don't want that (inevitably) overpaid, rapidly aging outfielder anywhere near the Red Sox! Let Reddick and Kalish battle it out for right, and sign either Cody Ross or Josh Willingham to be the fourth outfielder (because there's no way that Darnell McDonald is staying in the majors).

Haha just a guess! I could see you all replacing Drew with a vet like him. And yes he will be overpaid and will have mediocre production. It'd be like JD Drew never left!

90758391980.gif

Who's Sanchez?

Sorry, I was trying to say that the Yankees will trade for Giants pitcher Jonathan Sanchez, but he came up in my free agency list. Anyways, J. Sanchez is expiring after 2012, and the Giants don't really need him, so I thought the Yankees could trade for him. The guy was 13-9 with a 3.07 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP in 2010 and is only 28. He was injured a lot this year, but he was still better than Hughes and Burnett (who is 34), Colon is 38 and Garcia is 35.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Who's Sanchez?

Sorry, I was trying to say that the Yankees will trade for Giants pitcher Jonathan Sanchez, but he came up in my free agency list. Anyways, J. Sanchez is expiring after 2012, and the Giants don't really need him, so I thought the Yankees could trade for him. The guy was 13-9 with a 3.07 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP in 2010 and is only 28. He was injured a lot this year, but he was still better than Hughes and Burnett (who is 34), Colon is 38 and Garcia is 35.

His 2010 season appears to be an outlier compared to the rest of his career. I would consider him as a lefty out of the bullpen. He also pitches half his games in AT&T Park and the other big ballparks in the NL West.

I'll play along....

Albert Pujols: Cubs

Prince Fielder: Nationals

Jose Reyes: Tigers

C.J. Wilson: Yankees

Jonathon Papelbon: Red Sox

Fransico Rodriguez: Marlins

Ryan Madson: Mets

Edwin Jackson: Yankees

David Ortiz: Rays

Carlos Beltran: White Sox