Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief. It is also official that the Indians picked up the option on Fausto Carmona but did NOT pick up the $9 million option on Grady Sizemore.

I see that sizemoredoesntmatter.

:P

I mean... outside of his 1 and 1/2 good seasons, he really didn't matter. He had got to be one of the most overrated baseball players in the last 25 years. He had a hell of a season when he made his first All Star Game, but the league adjusted fairly quickly and his gaping flaws showed. People ignored it because of the 2007 playoff run and "Grady's Ladies" but when you actually watched him play, it was disappointing.

More like he never really got the opportunity to hit in the 3-hole like he should have and then couldn't stay on the field the last couple seasons?

I can only hope that Cecil Fielder had a good time playing in Toronto.

Assuming you want Prince to be a Blue Jay, you wouldn't want that... Prince hates Cecil, I believe.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only hope that Cecil Fielder had a good time playing in Toronto.

Assuming you want Prince to be a Blue Jay, you wouldn't want that... Prince hates Cecil, I believe.

That's my understanding as well... also, I think Cecil had a better time in Japan than Toronto ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Konerko as player-manager: Getting on Adam Dunn's case for striking out four times a game; pot calling kettle black.

I imagine you are thinking of someone else. Konerko's career high in strikeouts is 110, which isn't crazy at all.

Konerko might make a good manager someday, but it would have been a horrible choice to go with him now. His problem up until about two years ago has been that he was a headcase who would linger on every AB and missed swing, thinking too much and spending 5 hours in a batting cage, and then getting into slumps because of it. The last thing you want to do with a guy like that is give him a lot more responsibility. As AJ Pierzynski said, it would have taken him 3 hours to make a lineup card.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

@ TheOldRoman - Yeah, I think you're right.

Anyway, CBS's FA Predictions just came out. Gregg Doyel's cracked me right up.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/33089612

Seeing CJ Wilson going to the Royals just kind of calls the whole credibility of this into question.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/33089612

The comments from the people that don't "get it" make it even more hilarious.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

http://eye-on-baseba...297882/33089612

Seeing CJ Wilson going to the Royals just kind of calls the whole credibility of this into question.

Well, he is probably not returning to the Rangers.

His constant bragging (samples here) have not made him a clubhouse or media favorite in the Metroplex.

To betray glorious father Cleveland and destroy the dreams of another generation of baseball fans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He wanted to come back at the August trade deadline but was never going to make it through to the Phils. He loves Manuel, he liked Philly, they need power off the bench (he won't replace Howard at 1B while Ryan recovers) and it could be his last shot at a ring...

He wanted to come back at the August trade deadline but was never going to make it through to the Phils. He loves Manuel, he liked Philly, they need power off the bench (he won't replace Howard at 1B while Ryan recovers) and it could be his last shot at a ring...

God, I hope so.

The guy is great but I seriously thought this season was the last one, and what a way to end it by heading back to Cleveland. I guess not but this SHOULD be the end in 2012 ...

Ballpark in Arlington is such a clusterfrack. Too many outfield angles, too many things going on at once, too much everything. Texas is excess.

What's not to love about a ballpark that looks like it was put together with leftover parts from other parks?

BB52Big.jpg

God, I hope so.

The guy is great but I seriously thought this season was the last one, and what a way to end it by heading back to Cleveland. I guess not but this SHOULD be the end in 2012 ...

Except that he really isn't. Someone around here came up with the perfect description of Jim Thome. If memory serves, it was after he hit HR #600 and the Thome to the HOF talk started. They said something to the effect of "Jim Thome has 600 home runs yet he has never, at any point in his career, even been the best player on his team." There were a few times during Thome's career where he was really good, but at no point along the way do I think he's ever been "great."

Thome hit a lot of home runs. No offense, but he's is closer to being Dave Kingman than he is to being a great ballplayer.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived