Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Completely disagree with your argument. To hit 600 home runs in a career, you have to be at the very least, consistent. Thome was consistent, and to me, consistency can't out of nowhere, all of a sudden mean nothing. Consistency is used as a barometer for a lot of HOFers and I think that it is disingenuous to not use that barometer for Thome. I don't know if you use consistency as an argument or how much emphasis you put on it, infrared, but I think that because the consistency factor is used on other HOFers, Thome has to be in.

- 16 seasons of 20+ HRs

- 12 seasons of 30+ HRs

- 6 seasons of 40+ HRs with a career high of 52

- 2,287 hits

- 1,674 RBI

A lot of strikeouts at 2,487 and not the greatest batting average at .277, but I think he's in.

Fake edit: Slight thread jack, I guess.

Fair enough. I'll give you all of you guys credit, you've persuaded me to reassess Jim Thome. Every once in a great while, the debates here actually lead to something productive. It's rare, but it does happen. Well argued gentlemen.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Madsen - they had little choice. They didn't have a closer inside the organization, and they'd end up overpaying for a vet that nobody else wanted. Might as well pay a little more and go with someone you know can pitch in Philadelphia and who is still young enough to be effective. Of course it's probably too much money, but Madsen would've gotten that much of not even more elsewhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Re: Madsen - they had little choice. They didn't have a closer inside the organization, and they'd end up overpaying for a vet that nobody else wanted. Might as well pay a little more and go with someone you know can pitch in Philadelphia and who is still young enough to be effective. Of course it's probably too much money, but Madsen would've gotten that much of not even more elsewhere.

Apparently the Madsen deal is off for now. Not sure why, but one story is that ownership refused to sign off on it due to payroll constraints, so they are now targeting Jonathan Papelbom. Things could always change and I guess they could go back to Madsen, but I guess they feel Papelbom is a cheaper alternative that would help them afford other players.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

SBerthiaumeESPN Steve Berthiaume

CSNPhilly.com reporting, #Phillies have reached agreement with #RedSox free agent closer Jonathan Papelbon.

Good riddance. Guy was a showboater and all talk. Problem is now the Sox need a new closer. Daniel Bard isn't even ready to be a set-up man, never mind a closer.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

SBerthiaumeESPN Steve Berthiaume

CSNPhilly.com reporting, #Phillies have reached agreement with #RedSox free agent closer Jonathan Papelbon.

Good riddance. Guy was a showboater and all talk. Problem is now the Sox need a new closer. Daniel Bard isn't even ready to be a set-up man, never mind a closer.

Plenty of closers on the market.

Heath Bell (34) - Type A

Jonathan Broxton (28)

Matt Capps (28) - Type A

Francisco Cordero (37) - Type A

Frank Francisco (32) - Type B

Ryan Madson (31) - Type A

Joe Nathan (37)

Jon Rauch (33) - Type B

Francisco Rodriguez (30)

But jeez... Papelbon and the Phils just set the market at a steep price.

Jim Salisbury

Sources say Papelbon deal is four years and approaches $50 million, pending physical

Dumb.

So dumb. Really dumb. Fo' real.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Those numbers can't be true. What the hell was Madsen asking for that made them do this? Unbelievable.

Bora$ probably pushed for 5/$55M and Rube said GTFO and went for the better pitcher. Supposedly he apologized to Ryan for the misunderstanding about the verbal agreement (if there really was one).

Stark is now saying there's a 5th-yr vesting option that could make the deal $60M

Enjoy him Philly. I've never jumped on the Papelbon bandwagon, always found him to be a bit too over-confident and just a total :censored:. Sure he's a serviceable pitcher, but he relies way too heavily on his fastball - which isn't fast enough to feature it exclusively. Hitters know it's coming, the crowd knows it's coming, but he throws it anyway.. always. Maybe having a new battery mate and different coaching will change his approach on the mound. He was great when he mixed in his other pitches and kept hitters off balance. Oh, and good riddance to that stupid face he makes while looking for the sign.

Oh, and good riddance to that stupid face he makes while looking for the sign.

And his absolutely horrendous Dunkin' Donuts commercials on NESN.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived