Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

I'm really hoping the Yankees get Mark Buehrle. They could use another solid left hander, and he's been workhorse type material over the past few seasons. I think he'd thrive with the Yankees and be a great pick up. I think we can get him for a decent deal, less than Wilson, and he will end up working out well.

Yankees could never have too many LHPers, so...why not sign both? Pretty sure they are in the market for 2 starting pitchers.

1. CC Sabathia - LHP
  2. C.J. Wilson - LHP
  3. Ivan Nova - RHP
  4. Mark Buehrle - LHP
  5. A.J. Burnett - RHP

I think I would cry if that was the starting pitching.

That would actually be an awesome move for the team. Solidify the iffy starting pitching.

We have the bats, but getting them to actually hit in clutch situations is different.

I also want to see Matsui back. But that's just for sentimental reasons. I loved that guy.

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really hoping the Yankees get Mark Buehrle. They could use another solid left hander, and he's been workhorse type material over the past few seasons. I think he'd thrive with the Yankees and be a great pick up. I think we can get him for a decent deal, less than Wilson, and he will end up working out well.

Yankees could never have too many LHPers, so...why not sign both? Pretty sure they are in the market for 2 starting pitchers.

1. CC Sabathia - LHP
  2. C.J. Wilson - LHP
  3. Ivan Nova - RHP
  4. Mark Buehrle - LHP
  5. A.J. Burnett - RHP

I think I would cry if that was the starting pitching.

That would actually be an awesome move for the team. Solidify the iffy starting pitching.

We have the bats, but getting them to actually hit in clutch situations is different.

I also want to see Matsui back. But that's just for sentimental reasons. I loved that guy.

Loved Matsui, but no room for him. Same can be said about Posada.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiWlnZiBTYhSe7UCGqxKUqE5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_hardball_verlander_cy_young_111511

The Miami Marlins aren’t messing around. Their standing offer to Albert Pujols(notes) is believed to be for nine years. With a competitive average annual value (say $25 million), that’s $225 million, minimum, and that’s more than what the St. Louis Cardinals are believed to have offered in the spring. Is it possible that two weeks into November Pujols could already have what will be his best offer?

Whoever signs Pujols to a 9-10 year contract will regret it. Learn from the Yankees and A-Rod. It was and still is BEYOND DUMB to sign someone who will be 32 before the season starts to a 10 year deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiWlnZiBTYhSe7UCGqxKUqE5nYcB?slug=ti-brown_hardball_verlander_cy_young_111511

The Miami Marlins aren?t messing around. Their standing offer to Albert Pujols(notes) is believed to be for nine years. With a competitive average annual value (say $25 million), that?s $225 million, minimum, and that?s more than what the St. Louis Cardinals are believed to have offered in the spring. Is it possible that two weeks into November Pujols could already have what will be his best offer?

Whoever signs Pujols to a 9-10 year contract will regret it. Learn from the Yankees and A-Rod. It was and still is BEYOND DUMB to sign someone who will be 32 before the season starts to a 10 year deal.

The Cardinals offered 9/$195. Even if they just came up to 9/$210, he'd probably take it over leaving St. Louis for Miami. Not saying that'll be the final pricel, though.

Cubs offer Sveum the job, but he's apparently stuck between the Red Sox and the Cubs, scales tip towards Cubs since Sox management is split on who they prefer, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sveum has the Cubs as a second choice.

edit: nvm, looks like Sveum goes to Cubs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Cubs offer Sveum the job, but he's apparently stuck between the Red Sox and the Cubs, scales tip towards Cubs since Sox management is split on who they prefer, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sveum has the Cubs as a second choice.

edit: nvm, looks like Sveum goes to Cubs.

As long as he isn't managing the Red Sox, that's great. Too bad to see Mackanin out of the running for Boston. I guess I'm cheering for Alomar now.

spacer.png

It's official! Dale Sveum has accepted the Cubs' offer and will be the new manager for 2012.

Cubs to Announce Sveum Tomorrow

Ryno was never considered a viable candidate because he didn't have managerial experience, right?

*Yes, I know Sveum had a 12-game trial run a few years back, but still...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ryno wasn't hired (and possibly will never be hired) for the Cubs job because they in all likelihood will have to fire him someday. As great as it is being the GM to hire one of the all-time greats in a Cubs uniform, its even worse to be the one to fire him.

Maybe that's not the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if you got Cubs higher ups drunk enough they'd admit it.

http://sports.yahoo....cy_young_111511

The Miami Marlins aren't messing around. Their standing offer to Albert Pujols(notes) is believed to be for nine years. With a competitive average annual value (say $25 million), that's $225 million, minimum, and that's more than what the St. Louis Cardinals are believed to have offered in the spring. Is it possible that two weeks into November Pujols could already have what will be his best offer?

The Cardinals offered 9/$195. Even if they just came up to 9/$210, he'd probably take it over leaving St. Louis for Miami. Not saying that'll be the final pricel, though.

First off, who REALLY knows that he is actually 31? How credible is his birth certificate?

I could see Miami going 5 years for $125M since they know that their early stadium revenue will cover that cost for at least the first two years off of stadium newness alone. They are going Latino since the ballpark "es circa de Calle Ocho"!

It's official! Dale Sveum has accepted the Cubs' offer and will be the new manager for 2012.

Cubs to Announce Sveum Tomorrow

Ryno was never considered a viable candidate because he didn't have managerial experience, right?

*Yes, I know Sveum had a 12-game trial run a few years back, but still...

It worries me that after Sveum had that trial run, in which he managed not to screw up the Brewers the way Ned Yost was, the Brewers had a chance to name him their official manager but went with Ken Macha instead. Oops. Then they kept him on staff, had another chance to name him manager, and went with Ron Roenicke instead, who has at least done a good job so far. The Brewers front office under Attanasio hasn't been an insurmountable braintrust, but they haven't exactly had their heads up their asses, either. So what did they see or not see that led them to keep him around without putting him in charge, not once but twice?

I don't know that Ryne Sandberg was the answer, but at least he had familiarity with the minor-leaguers who will be populating the major league roster next year and beyond, for whatever that's worth. On the other hand, the "come to a game to see the coach" approach to a season means you're dead before you're born.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ryno wasn't hired (and possibly will never be hired) for the Cubs job because they in all likelihood will have to fire him someday. As great as it is being the GM to hire one of the all-time greats in a Cubs uniform, its even worse to be the one to fire him.

Maybe that's not the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if you got Cubs higher ups drunk enough they'd admit it.

I definately think there's something to that. Nobody wants to be the guy that had to fire Ryne Sandberg. Your never going to win a PR battle with that.

And historically speaking how often has a legend ever come back to manage his former club? Pete Rose and Yogi Berra are the only two ones I can think of and both of those tenures ended very ugly, albeit for very different reasons.

But I can completely understand a GM not wanting to have someone working for them who is always going to be a bigger name then they will ever be and therefore untouchable by you in the fans eyes.

Archived