Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief.

Thank God. That's one turrible signing out of town. If Frank Wren can find a way to sucker some team into absorbing Kenshin Kawakami's contract, then I will cry tears of joy. Derek Lowe was one of the top reasons behind the Braves collapse: The man just couldn't get a good start together, and most of his starts came in situations where the Braves were just hurting for a win. If he can have a revival in Cleveland, then more power to him, but IMO, Lowe's pretty much done as a dependable starter.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief. It is also official that the Indians picked up the option on Fausto Carmona but did NOT pick up the $9 million option on Grady Sizemore.

I see that sizemoredoesntmatter.

:P

Tony Rizzo of ESPN 850 WKNR is reporting that the Atlanta Braves just traded Derek Lowe to the Indians for financial relief.

Thank God. That's one turrible signing out of town. If Frank Wren can find a way to sucker some team into absorbing Kenshin Kawakami's contract, then I will cry tears of joy. Derek Lowe was one of the top reasons behind the Braves collapse: The man just couldn't get a good start together, and most of his starts came in situations where the Braves were just hurting for a win. If he can have a revival in Cleveland, then more power to him, but IMO, Lowe's pretty much done as a dependable starter.

Kawakami is a free agent now. So that means no more KK, no more Lowe, and no more McLouth.

Kawakami is a free agent now. So that means no more KK, no more Lowe, and no more McLouth.

Oh word? I thought he still had a year left. Sweet, Wren's got a decent amount of cash to play around with, now. Nice!

Oh word? I thought he still had a year left. Sweet, Wren's got a decent amount of cash to play around with, now. Nice!

From what I have been hearing some of that money will be going to salary increases of current players. But I really don't see them spending a lot on Free-agency. A Jurrjens trade still might happen for an outfield bat. But the biggest spot they can improve is Shortstop. The SS of the future for Atlanta is still a year away from the show, so Reyes and Rollins are out as far as potentials. I would LOVE to see Furcal sign a 1-year deal...but it looks like they might bring Gonzo back for one more.

I love this dude. I'm almost positive he would of gotten a better deal in free agency. Money wise, no... but probably more years.

Who would have given him even close that the money the Yankees are? I don't think any of the other large market teams would be all that interested. Money wise it likely wouldn't have even been close enough to make going elsewhere for more years a viable option.

IUe6Hvh.png

I love this dude. I'm almost positive he would of gotten a better deal in free agency. Money wise, no... but probably more years.

Who would have given him even close that the money the Yankees are? I don't think any of the other large market teams would be all that interested. Money wise it likely wouldn't have even been close enough to make going elsewhere for more years a viable option.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7098230/texas-rangers-pursue-cc-sabathia-opts-source-says

The Texas Rangers, likely to lose starter C.J. Wilson to free agency over the winter, are preparing to make a strong bid to sign CC Sabathia if the New York Yankees ace chooses to exercise the opt-out clause in his contract, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"I hear they're going to throw a boatload of money at him,'' said the source, who requested anonymity. "But I think he'll stay with the Yankees. He's talked so much about how much he loves New York, and besides, the Yankees can't afford to lose him from that pitching staff.''

^^^^

Too bad he's going to rot the rest of his career away in the AL. I really enjoyed seeing CC go "heavy lumber" during that one month he was in Milwaukee.

What the heck does that even mean? Because he doesn't get to hit a few times a game?

From what I have been hearing some of that money will be going to salary increases of current players. But I really don't see them spending a lot on Free-agency. A Jurrjens trade still might happen for an outfield bat. But the biggest spot they can improve is Shortstop. The SS of the future for Atlanta is still a year away from the show, so Reyes and Rollins are out as far as potentials. I would LOVE to see Furcal sign a 1-year deal...but it looks like they might bring Gonzo back for one more.

Same idea that I had. Just lock up the key players that haven't already been and we'll be A-OK. I'm sure that's on Wren's radar, so it's mainly just a scenario of wait and see. Not a fan of bringing Gonzo back, though...but I'd be willing to live with one more year of that if it means that Pastornicky can get some big league reps in September and be the guy at SS in 2013. Just gotta hold the fort until help comes. :P

BTW. CC makes A-Rod look bad. He could have done exactly this, made some extra money, saved the Yankees a bunch of money with the Texas arrangement and gotten a lot of good pub.

It was not, is not and will never be possible for A-Rod to get good pub. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived