Canton NBA D- League Name/Logo Unveiling

BigSack

Eh...it's okay. Definitely sounds D-League/WNBA. Not a fan of the colors. I know they are Cavs colors but meh.

Definitely will hit up a few games since I'm only an hour away.

Their sword is bigger than Cleveland's

From Wikipedia:

Ownership models vary across the NBA D-League. Independent owners control most of the league?s teams, but growing willingness among NBA organizations to invest in the D-League has led to two other models: direct ownership of D-League teams by parent NBA clubs and single-affiliate partnerships in which the D-League team remains independently owned while the parent club runs and finances basketball operations.

The Houston Rockets and Rio Grande Valley Vipers pioneered the single-affiliate partnership, also known as the hybrid model, in 2009?10. In November 2010, the New Jersey Nets and Springfield Armor announced they will enter into a single-affiliate partnership beginning in 2011?12. In June 2011, the New York Knicks and Erie BayHawks announced they will be single-affiliated.

Independent ownership: Bakersfield Jam, Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Idaho Stampede, Iowa Energy, Maine Red Claws, Reno Bighorns, Sioux Falls Skyforce, Texas Legends

Parent club ownership: Austin Toros (by the San Antonio Spurs), Canton Charge (by the Cleveland Cavaliers), Dakota Wizards (by the Golden State Warriors), Los Angeles D-Fenders (by the Los Angeles Lakers), Tulsa 66ers (by the Oklahoma City Thunder)

Hybrid affiliation: Erie Bayhawks (by the New York Knicks), Rio Grande Valley Vipers (with the Houston Rockets), Springfield Armor (with the New Jersey Nets)

I accept that team names have gotten more abstract over the years; oftentimes using verbs or phenomena as nickname inspiration. But I still question the wisdom of picking a term that is also an illegal act/personal foul within the very sport you play. Toledo Travel? Odgensville Over-The-Backs? Glendale Goaltenders?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Although I am struggling to not make the "D-league existing" joke, why in the blue hell don't the TImberwolves have a stake in Dakota? It's only like, right there.

Because the Warriors bought Dakota last year and are moving them to San Jose for the 2012-13 season. This is their final year up there in Dakota.

Speaking of the D-League, are they still playing this year lockout or not?

Although I am struggling to not make the "D-league existing" joke, why in the blue hell don't the TImberwolves have a stake in Dakota? It's only like, right there.

Because the Warriors bought Dakota last year and are moving them to San Jose for the 2012-13 season. This is their final year up there in Dakota.

Well, that's a damn shame. The last of the IBL teams, too.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well, that's a damn shame. The last of the IBL teams, too.

Yeah, and the worst part is the whole reason they did it isn't because they wanted to own a D-League team or develop their own talent. No they're doing it as a :censored: block to ensure that the Hornets or Kings don't end up playing at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. The development aspect is just icing on the cake for them.

Speaking of the D-League, are they still playing this year lockout or not?

Still playing, lockout or not. They have a separate CBA, which confuses me since players move between the organizations.

Anyway, this is a perfect identity for a Cavs minor league affiliate. The logo isn't better than that of the parent club, but it isn't terrible. As you smart people have said, thicken up the lines and make it feel more like a logo than a pencil drawing and we can have a more serious discussion about it. I also don't like how the sword takes up most of the space. A sword can be shown but it definitely shouldn't take up 80% of the 'logo' area. Despite all that, I like this look and think it uses the colors very well and works without having to add Black or Gray or anything outside the Cavs identity.

Archived