New MLB caps for 2012

The Mojo Maniac

There has been extensive conversation about new MLB caps for the 2012 season under another topic, so I decided to start a new topic solely for that purpose. Here is my two cents to start things off:

-I remember reading under another topic that the Mariners will be adding a cap for next year. Anyone have any details on that?

-There have been rumors that one team will be adding a white panel cap in some capacity. Are we fairly certain that that team will be the Orioles? What about the Blue Jays or the soon-to-be-rebranded Miami Marlins?

-Will the Mets be ditching either (or both) of their horrendous black-infested caps?

-I've seen from various sources that the Red Sox still declare the hanging sox logo cap as the official alternate, but I don't recall ever seeing it worn on the field in 2011. Have I just missed out, or is the team already phasing those out after such a short existence?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the M's are bringing these back (if not, then the teal hat with navy blue brim.)

ichiro.jpg

and i think it's the O's getting white panels if anyone were to, but it's just a guess on my part

this past season, Matt Wieters and the O's 1st and 3rd base coach wore the old style

wieters-cartoon-bird.jpg

Matt+Wieters+Toronto+Blue+Jays+v+Baltimore+5WiqGj_6dkll.jpg

(the top pic is wieters too)

Wayne+Kirby+Detroit+Tigers+v+Baltimore+Orioles+sqqGp2MROInl.jpg

maybe they were breaking it in the way the dodgers did with their logo and the mets with their special latin jerseys this past season (blue, but they won't go into effect as a full time alternate until 2013 if i understand correctly)

idk about the red sox, and as far as i know the mets are wearing the blue hats both home and away. the main site has one of the black hats ending in 2011, so maybe they keep a black alt

It won't be the Blue Jays. Chris said that the new jerseys are a slight modernization of the 93-96 set, in which they wore full blue caps, and ditched the white front-paneled ones.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Angels will go back to the silver halo on all caps next year. No more gold.

-New Blue Jays cap. There could be two(one with the 'T' and one without).

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Well, if that link is to be believed -- and there's no reason not to since most of it falls in line with what we've already heard -- it confirms the Orioles suspicions (and adds an orange-panel option? Personally, I love that cap.) and adds an interesting twist to the Marlins saga: black at home, orange on the road. That's be a switch for MLB, but the gray might actually help tone down the orange.

As a side note, I had no idea the Orioles were using those helmets this year. Guess they didn't get much national exposure this year.

I had no idea the Orioles were using those helmets this year. Guess they didn't get much national exposure this year.

I only knew because their catcher wore it when they played the Braves and Zack frickin' Britton, an AL pitcher, hit a home run... But hey, I wouldn't hold a grudge.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Well, if that link is to be believed -- and there's no reason not to since most of it falls in line with what we've already heard -- it confirms the Orioles suspicions (and adds an orange-panel option? Personally, I love that cap.) and adds an interesting twist to the Marlins saga: black at home, orange on the road. That's be a switch for MLB, but the gray might actually help tone down the orange.

As a side note, I had no idea the Orioles were using those helmets this year. Guess they didn't get much national exposure this year.

I don't know about the coaches but I think Wieters has worn the helmet for a few years. They're following The Twins catchers and coaches who have worn a white front throwbackish helmet for a few years now.

2379216998_9f0498e25e_b.jpg

mets.png

I don't know about the coaches but I think Wieters has worn the helmet for a few years. They're following The Twins catchers and coaches who have worn a white front throwbackish helmet for a few years now.

Actually I am pretty sure that's a legit throwback. I think they wore that for a year or two in the 70s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Pretty sure we're just going to end up discussing caps in multiple threads now. IMO there should be a thread per team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Orioles will wear a black crown with an orange brim, which would be a good look. A black cap with an orange front panel would he horrible. Besides, the post says the one cap will have a "white panel", but it never mentions an orange panel, it just says "two tone" for the other cap.

As for the Marlins, I think we all see what is coming. The players will dislike the orange cap and start wearing the black one fulltime on the road. I will guess the black cap is worn on the road within the first month of the season and it's fulltime by July. Also, I hope they made an orange batting helmet to go with the cap, but I imagine they cheaped out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the Orioles will wear a black crown with an orange brim, which would be a good look. A black cap with an orange front panel would he horrible. Besides, the post says the one cap will have a "white panel", but it never mentions an orange panel, it just says "two tone" for the other cap.

As for the Marlins, I think we all see what is coming. The players will dislike the orange cap and start wearing the black one fulltime on the road. I will guess the black cap is worn on the road within the first month of the season and it's fulltime by July. Also, I hope they made an orange batting helmet to go with the cap, but I imagine they cheaped out.

Both the Marlins home and road caps are black

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Both the Marlins home and road caps are black

So, does one have an orange brim or is there an orange alternate cap?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It won't be the Blue Jays. Chris said that the new jerseys are a slight modernization of the 93-96 set, in which they wore full blue caps, and ditched the white front-paneled ones.

I believe in 93 they started out wearing the white panel hat at home, but ditched it part way through the season because they thought it was bad luck.

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Angels will go back to the silver halo on all caps next year. No more gold.

-New Blue Jays cap. There could be two(one with the 'T' and one without).

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

Actually there isn't any sand in the current SD road cap. They dropped that last off season and used the white SD's on the road this year.

If the Mariners really are bringing back the teal bill, I will be one happy man. The last time they wore those, ironically, was in 2001--the last year they made the playoffs (they did wear them two or three times in '02 but I won't count that). They need to make it their full-time home cap, no more of the mixing-and-matching crap they did in the late '90s-2001 by pairing the home whites with the solid navy cap. It's a bland and boring look, and the teal bill gives it more character. The solid navy cap should never be worn at home again. Plus, the till bills will look much better with the Monday/Friday teal home alt jerseys than the all-navy cap does. Now if the teal *crown* is the one they bring back...that will be interesting. I could see them wearing those for each game they wear the teal alt jerseys, and maybe pair them with the home whites once in awhile? They did that occasionally from '94-'96 and it was an interesting look.

Blah to the Royals supposedly eliminating their powder blue-crowned alt caps. Why do teams always have to be so boring? They have only used that cap for two years, come on!

Disappointed that the Jays will not have a white panel cap, I always loved those. At least they are still making a total upgrade though.

Sadly, it figures that the Marlins will wear black caps both at home and on the road. Come on, at least give one of them an orange bill or something!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I believe in 93 they started out wearing the white panel hat at home, but ditched it part way through the season because they thought it was bad luck.

Correct (I watched my parents' Back2Back VCR a few weeks ago ;) ). If he meant the white front panel, he would've said 89-93. The full-blue caps then are thus 93-96.

Correct (I watched my parents' Back2Back VCR a few weeks ago ;) ). If he meant the white front panel, he would've said 89-93. The full-blue caps then are thus 93-96.

I can't believe that required explanation

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Sorry, I just thought he didn't get it. It sounded like what he said was that they might use a white front-panel because they wore one in 93. I hope I didn't come off as condescending.

Archived