New MLB caps for 2012

The Mojo Maniac

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Angels will go back to the silver halo on all caps next year. No more gold.

-New Blue Jays cap. There could be two(one with the 'T' and one without).

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

Actually there isn't any sand in the current SD road cap. They dropped that last off season and used the white SD's on the road this year.

That is correct. They used the cap with the sand "SD" as an alternate cap to go along with the navy blue jerseys (which still sported the sand lettering). Be interesting to see what kind of blue alternate uniform the Padres have, perhaps they are dropping it in favor of keeping the camo uni set as an alternate.

From what the local press have been saying I suspect we'll see something that is more like the blue jersey that the blue and sand one replaced (ie: just blue with white lettering). Bigger question is which historic logo are they going to replace the "shampoo" logo with. The 70's/80's logo or the PCL logo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Red Sox wore their alternate exactly one time this season. I'm hoping for a side Fenway 100 patch in 2012, and my ultimate would be a return to the 1975-78 model with the red crown and blue brim - just on the road to spice up the away unis a bit.

If they're going to return to red hats then use them with the red alternate and possibly the home jerseys. I'd stay with solid navy on the road.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I hope the Orioles go back to the cartoon bird but don't go with the white panel on the hat. To me it doesn't look that good on top of a white jersey. The white paneled hat on a orange jersey would look good in my opinion.

This is the winner:

pMLB2-10219385dt.jpg

Actually I am a fan of this one, I know it sorta looks like a chicken but I would love to see this one on field:

am-needle-orioles-fitted-cap.jpg

Those :censored:ers better get matching batting helmets with a white front.

Will the Orioles be using the above pictured black and orange cap on the road?

Yes.

Well the black and orange one is definitely a plus compared to the paneled one, so here's hoping it becomes the unofficial primary home and away cap within a short period of time. B)

I agree. I would prefer if they decided to wear the black bird cap home and road. I dislike the "O's" cap much more than the new home cap. As I said before, I hope they don't cheap out and wear black batting helmets at home. That would be the worst outcome.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

Actually there isn't any sand in the current SD road cap. They dropped that last off season and used the white SD's on the road this year.

That is correct. They used the cap with the sand "SD" as an alternate cap to go along with the navy blue jerseys (which still sported the sand lettering). Be interesting to see what kind of blue alternate uniform the Padres have, perhaps they are dropping it in favor of keeping the camo uni set as an alternate.

From what the local press have been saying I suspect we'll see something that is more like the blue jersey that the blue and sand one replaced (ie: just blue with white lettering). Bigger question is which historic logo are they going to replace the "shampoo" logo with. The 70's/80's logo or the PCL logo.

I didn't hear that one - a historic logo you say? I would think maybe the friar they used on the Tucson Padres AAA team?

I agree. I would prefer if they decided to wear the black bird cap home and road. I dislike the "O's" cap much more than the new home cap. As I said before, I hope they don't cheap out and wear black batting helmets at home. That would be the worst outcome.

There are 162 games in the season, I think it's cool when teams mix it up now and then and not just stick to one cap. Hell, I know it's probably way over the top for just about everyone, but I wouldn't even mind if they brought this style back as a 2nd alternate:

ReggieJacksonOrioles.jpg

Alright, maybe I'll settle for a TBTC game ;)

Also, I never understood the hate for the "O's" logo. I think it's pretty clean and sharp, and looks great with the black jerseys. After all, it is only a once a week alternate, it's not like it's their primary.

And yeah, I hope they don't "cheap out" on their helmets as well.

There are 162 games in the season, I think it's cool when teams mix it up now and then and not just stick to one cap. Hell, I know it's probably way over the top for just about everyone, but I wouldn't even mind if they brought this style back as a 2nd alternate:

ReggieJacksonOrioles.jpg

Alright, maybe I'll settle for a TBTC game ;)

Also, I never understood the hate for the "O's" logo. I think it's pretty clean and sharp, and looks great with the black jerseys. After all, it is only a once a week alternate, it's not like it's their primary.

And yeah, I hope they don't "cheap out" on their helmets as well.

Yeah, that was the cap I was referring to (mistakenly, apparently) earlier. They wore that as a throwback a few years back and I loved it. I'm not a huge fan of white front-panel caps, I guess because they remind me of the generic Little League caps that were handed out when I was a kid, so I'd love the black and orange version. However, just like the road pinstripes in the Rockies thread, I won't fault a team for taking a style and making it their own, especially when they are the last ones left doing it. So go ahead and take back that white panel, Orioles. Own it.

Is showtime029 a legit source? Not tryin to be facetious, I'm just really wondering.

You make a great point.....however, what he has said so far about other teams has been confirmed by others like CC and CWX, so I would think he knows what he is talking about.

But we'll wait and see. All I know is, unlike you, I would be esctatic if this white-panel news is true, because I always liked that hat, and it would be different and unique to everybody else in Baseball, but not too over the top crazy.......a homeage to Oriole greats of the past (both white panel and all-black to be accurate) for a team in the future that might be closer than any of us think to respectability.

yes, showtime029 is a legit source and on other threads has stated that he needs to be very careful with his disclosures.

I didn't hear that one - a historic logo you say? I would think maybe the friar they used on the Tucson Padres AAA team?

They already use the friar from the AAA team as a patch on the jersey, but I doubt it'll ever make a cap appearance. Padres have worn "SD" on the cap for half a century and that won't change (heck it's the only bit of continuity they DO have). No the historic part would be the jersey font from what they've hinted at, be it the 70/80's jersey font Tuscon is using or the actual PCL font which the "shampoo" logo was based on and supposed to honor.

Bigger question is which historic logo are they going to replace the "shampoo" logo with. The 70's/80's logo or the PCL logo.

+1

I GOTS TO KNOW!!!

Anyway, 2012 will be a great year for uni/cap changes.

-Blue Jays: HUGE improvement. Anything would be an improvement over their 2011 look.

-Marlins: Going from ugly/boring to ugly/interesting. Slight improvement.

-Mets: Dropping almost all the black, fairly big improvement.

-Mariners: Adding teal-billed cap, fairly big improvement.

-Orioles: Bringing back the smiling bird (white front panel or not), fairly big improvement.

-Royals: Powder blue caps are cool as fashion caps but don't work on a MLB field. Slight improvement.

-Padres: Jury's still out. Their current look is awful and they're not really fixing any of the problems. (Unless they're dropping the "bow-tie San Diego" and bringing back some mysterious "historic logo")

-Angels: The only real downgrade (so far), and it's minor. Gold > silver.

Well the silver halo does work really well with the red and navy. They could've really gone either way and it would be fine.

I like the silver better (runs to "unpopular opinions" thread)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well the silver halo does work really well with the red and navy. They could've really gone either way and it would be fine.

I like the silver better (runs to "unpopular opinions" thread)

I have to agree. Silver complements navy and red better than gold could. Silver is more like a secondary color while gold is more of a primary color. Three primary colors are a little much. Speaking of which, I wish there were more red/gold teams in MLB.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Archived