Best Major League Sports Team of All Time?

Lebda4Norris

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The '72 Dolphins may have gone undefeated, but I wouldn't rate them the best team ever in the NFL. I keep thinking some of those Steeler teams from the '70s or Packer teams from the '60s were better. Those Steeler and Packer teams were solid in every position.

I'm old enough to have seen the '72 Dolphins in action. As good as the '72 team was, I think the '73 Dolphins were better. With regard to the 70's Steelers, my opinion is both the '75 and '78 Steelers were better than the '72 Dolphins. I'm old, but I'm not so old that I can give you an honest assessment of the 60's Packers. B)

All that aside, for my money, the best NFL team ever is the 1989 49ers.

if memory serves correctly, that team also had the first 1000-yard rushing tandem in league history (meaning both backs broke a stack).

If my memory serves, back-up HB Jim Kiick had about 500 yds rushing himself. Not a bad rushing attack eh? I guess they didn't pass as much back then.

BB52Big.jpg

The 2011 Green Bay Packers have a chance if they go 19-0.

The '11 Pack is good, but I don't see them going 16-0, let alone 19-0. The 2007 Patriots were better and not even they could go 19-0.

I don't follow, nor do I care much for hockey, so I can't really give an informed opinion except to say happily that it is NOT the Philadelphia Flyers!

In the NBA, another sport I don't really follow, I'd have to say the Lakers from the early 80s. They defeated the Celtics in the Finals did they not?

For the NFL, I'd say the 70s Steelers hands down. The 79 Steelers were comprised of nothing but draft picks. Also, they won 4 Super Bowls and they did so against all 3 of the best teams from the NFC in that time period, the Vikings, the Rams and the Cowboys....TWICE! The Steelers are STILL the only NFL team to win 4 Super Bowls in a 6 year period. Dallas & New England have won 3 in a 4 year period, but no other team has done 4 in 6 still. Pittsburgh had to beat the Oakland Raiders & Miami Dolphins & Baltimore Colts during the AFC playoffs, and all of those teams during that time period were the other AFC powerhouses. A very close second would be the early 2000s Patriots. With free agency & parity in the league, it's very difficult to even win ONE Super Bowl let alone back to back, or 3 in a 4 year span. Throw in a 16-0 perfect regular season albeit with a Super Bowl loss at the end of that. I'd love to see the early 2000s Patriots take on the '79 Steelers in a "Dream Bowl" of sorts. Anybody remember the "Dream Bowl" series?

As a former Yankee fan (it faded greatly when they got Clemens, it died when they got A-Rod who I never could stand, seems only fitting the Yankees would blow a 3-0 series lead against the Red Sox in 2004 of all teams, with A-Fraud there), the 1998 Yankees with 114 regular season wins has to rank near the top. I say that vs. the '27 Yankees because the 1998 team had to play 2 rounds of playoffs just to get to the World Series, plus had to play interleague games, thus the Yankees were facing far more pitchers and different clubs than the '27 Yankees who only had to face 8 total (7 AL plus the Pirates in the World Series). The '75 & '76 Reds certainly have to rank very near the top too. Every one of their position players was a household name practically...Griffey, Foster, Rose, Concepcion, Perez, Morgan, Bench, & Geronimo. The '75 Reds won the NL West by 20 games!!!

I can't believe that no one other than the OP mentioned the 80s Oilers. Gretzky, Coffey, Anderson, Messier, Lowe, Kurri, Tikkanen, and even Simpson. Crazy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

MLB: 2001 Mariners

Ehh...that was a heck of a team, but as much as I'd want to, I can't bring myself to think of them in the same class as the '27 Yanks, '29 A's, the Yankees of the 50's, etc. Now, if we were talking greatest teams to never win a title? Then yes, most certainly they're up there or even at the top.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The 2001 Mariners rattled off all those wins after Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, and Ken Griffey left. I think of them as baseball's greatest statistical anomaly more than anything else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The 2001 Mariners rattled off all those wins after Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, and Ken Griffey left. I think of them as baseball's greatest statistical anomaly more than anything else.

You know, I think that'd make for one great "What If" - what if one, two, or even all three of those guys had remained with Seattle into 2001? My gosh, what a team that could have been....

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived