Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Gothamite, I'm usually with you on topics like this, and while I do feel the same way as you on this one, I think you need to step down off your horse for a minute and accept that you might not know everything that's going on. It's incredibly easy to slam an entire culture right now, and paint with a broad brush, but the facts are simply that the overwhelming majority of students and alumni are appalled at this whole mess, feel for the victims, and fear for what's going to happen to their university. Of course there are drunk teenagers and delusional alums, just like there is in nearly every major scandal. They're more vocal, more visible, and easier to put on TV. I'm not blaming the media, because those idiots are certainly out there and should be shown, but reading your posts, you'd think that every man, woman, and child in State College was in on this and was probably raping kids themselves.

I have no affiliation with Penn State at all, nor am I a college sports fan (I did play football in high school with a player who was a star for a few years there, but I couldn't care less about the school.) While Penn State is generally considered a "western PA" school, there's still a huge alumni contingent in Southeast PA and Lehigh Valley, and when you're in an area like this (where it's getting even more coverage than it is nationally) and you hear these people and what they have to say and what they're doing (the good as well as the bad) you realize that it's not the way that you are making it out to be.

Sort of off-topic - I've never understood hate for colleges in general (there's been a few posts in this thread from people claiming to "hate Penn State" even before the scandal). I can understand "hating" a college's football team, or basketball team, or an arrogant coach, etc., but to hate a school is pretty immature ("I HATE Boston College. Their physics labs are so lame!")

Couldn't have said it better myself, BringBackTheVet.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that the media blows stories out of proportion. Train wrecks sell.

But that doesn't excuse the support that Paterno and even Sandusky are getting, online and financially.

FWIW, I'm trying to be intellectually consistent - it is my opinion that every diocese that sheltered a pedophile ought to be declared a criminal enterprise, shut down and have its principals prosecuted under RICO. I've said that for years, and am having trouble figuring out a reason why the exact same shouldn't be done to both Second Mile and Penn State.

But that doesn't excuse the support that Paterno and even Sandusky are getting, online and financially.

FWIW, I'm trying to be intellectually consistent - it is my opinion that every diocese that sheltered a pedophile ought to be declared a criminal enterprise, shut down and have its principals prosecuted under RICO. I've said that for years, and am having trouble figuring out a reason why the exact same shouldn't be done to both Second Mile and Penn State.

Because they are football coaches with faces you see on TV. This generates a false feeling of acquaintance, common ground.

Technically, yes, people like us are "jumping the gun," innocent until proven guilty, etc. I look at all articles and evidence put in front of me, keeping an open mind - I feel like you've done the same.

Fact is it's extremely hard to be well-rounded in an opinion on this issue. The grand jury report really made my mind up for me, as has all the information about the foundation and subsequent information that's come to light since this story broke. It's all piled up into this horrific totem that needs to be torn down as soon as possible.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well that's it - I'm starting from the perspective of shuttering the program, since that's consistent with positions I've taken in the past.

The only reasons I've come up with to treat Penn State any differently are along the lines of "but Paterno has had so much good press in the past! He has a friendly nickname!"

Broom the place, salt the earth. No more football for you, you've shown that you can't handle it.

Valid points for discussion, though impractical. I assume you're referring to the Penn State football program specifically and not the whole college or even the athletic department.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That's usually Jerry's specialty.

God, I hope the media doesn't let up on this. You get the feeling there's so much more ugly business in the story, and all it's going to take is some persistent digging to keep uncovering it all.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How do you even think of letting up when you get a new cookie every day? Every day! It's like harvesting cranberries. You dig down about an inch deep and you scoop up like ten thousand at once.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who is Sandusky getting support from that you've seen? Everything I've seen is the exact opposite. Sandusky is rightly a pariah at Penn State, with the alums, and with the general public/press.

As for your assertions against the Catholic Church, I'm afraid you can't label an entire diocese as a criminal enterprise by the actions of a scant few miscreants. Just as you can't condemn the entire Penn St football program for the misdeeds of a few.

Who is Sandusky getting support from that you've seen? Everything I've seen is the exact opposite. Sandusky is rightly a pariah at Penn State, with the alums, and with the general public/press.

As for your assertions against the Catholic Church, I'm afraid you can't label an entire diocese as a criminal enterprise by the actions of a scant few miscreants. Just as you can't condemn the entire Penn St football program for the misdeeds of a few.

There are efforts among former PSU players to fund Sandusky's defense.

Also, apparently Enron was not a criminal enterprise, and was unfairly punished for the scant actions of a few.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There are efforts among former PSU players to fund Sandusky's defense.

Also, apparently Enron was not a criminal enterprise, and was unfairly punished for the scant actions of a few.

Difference was Enron wasn't taken down by the criminal sanctions against a few of it's members. It was taken down by the resulting civil actions against those members and the company as a whole. The Catholic Church was not taken down by the Civil actions against it and neither will Penn State. That's the difference.

As for a few ex-PSU players funding Sandusky's defense, obviously they still have something to hide (and obviously Sandusky has something on them or the program). That said, it's again a small few who should rightly be cleaned out of association with Penn State. Dismantling the program is neither the answer nor an appropriate response. It punishes far too many people who were not involved with the scandal.

As for a few ex-PSU players funding Sandusky's defense, obviously they still have something to hide (and obviously Sandusky has something on them or the program). That said, it's again a small few who should rightly be cleaned out of association with Penn State. Dismantling the program is neither the answer nor an appropriate response. It punishes far too many people who were not involved with the scandal.

Based on what exactly? It could be that they simply can't believe the charges and they want to help. I'm not saying your theory isn't possible, I'm just not sure it's "obvious."

BB52Big.jpg

Based on what exactly? It could be that they simply can't believe the charges and they want to help. I'm not saying your theory isn't possible, I'm just not sure it's "obvious."

Maybe some of the players took part? I shudder to to think about that, but considering all that has happened, it's possible.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

From Ben Jones, writer from StateCollege.com who's been on the front lines for most of this thing:

You think the Sandusky story is mixed up already, just wait til somebody realizes McQueary used to live with Tom Bradley

Archived