2011-12 NBA Season

LeGooo

I cant believe the NBA All Star Game in 2013 is going to Houston, why is the NBA putting the game in the same cities year after year, when places like Portland and Toronto don't get a shot?

I really don't know why they haven't spread it out better myself. Its been all South in terms of where the game has been held for the past decade now. Denver was the last game they had that was at the 40th parallel and that was back in '05. Houston will be the eighth straight game to keep that trend going. Even when virtually the entire league was up north they didn't go that long without giving it to a southern city.

We'll see who gets the 2014 game. I know Orlando is bidding for it again because the only rule pertaining to hosting the NBA all-star game is that you can't host the game back to back years.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant believe the NBA All Star Game in 2013 is going to Houston, why is the NBA putting the game in the same cities year after year, when places like Portland and Toronto don't get a shot?

On Wikipedia, it says that the 2014 game is going to Toronto, but I haven't seen anything else yet saying that the game will be in Toronto.

Don't teams/cities have to "want" the All-Star Game in order to "get" the All-Star Game?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't want to host or even that they haven't expressed interest, I'm just saying that it's too easy to lament why the game isn't in [insert city here] without knowing who has actually tried to get the game. We're missing some info in our rush to bitch judgement.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Does Portland have the infrastructure to cope with an All Star game? At least on the scale that the NBA wants? Hotels etc?

I'm pretty sure if Indianapolis has the infrastructure to handle the Super Bowl, Portland can handle the NBA all-star game.

As mentioned previously, Indianapolis has historically sought to, and been, a major convention center and host to large scale athletic events. The Super Bowl was far from Indy's first rodeo.

Conversely, Portland, to my knowledge, hasn't done this. It's more than a city size issue.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Wolves are.....*gasp*......above .500. And even more astonishing - they are only 2 games behind Denver for 4th in the West. I'm glad they can win games without Kevin Love, but tomorrow will be a tougher test on the road against Memphis.

And this is why the Paul trade is going to be even more embarrassing for the league. Gordon's only played two games, wasn't extended, couldn't even trade out Kaman and the Minnesota pick likely won't even be in the Top Ten.

GR30a5H.png

Does Portland have the infrastructure to cope with an All Star game? At least on the scale that the NBA wants? Hotels etc?

I'm pretty sure if Indianapolis has the infrastructure to handle the Super Bowl, Portland can handle the NBA all-star game.

As mentioned previously, Indianapolis has historically sought to, and been, a major convention center and host to large scale athletic events. The Super Bowl was far from Indy's first rodeo.

Conversely, Portland, to my knowledge, hasn't done this. It's more than a city size issue.

Let's not forget that Indy has the 500 every year, so has had to develop the infrastructure.

I think it's easy to underestimate the impact that a sporting event of the size even of an All Star weekend can have on a city, especially one not used to dealing with the numbers of press and fans invading their town.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Let's not forget that Indy has the 500 every year, so has had to develop the infrastructure.

I think it's easy to underestimate the impact that a sporting event of the size even of an All Star weekend can have on a city, especially one not used to dealing with the numbers of press and fans invading their town.

Fine then put it another way. If Portland can't play host to an NBA all-star game it doesn't deserve an NBA franchise, because I can't see how a city could support the NBA Finals but not the NBA All-Star game.

Every NBA city has the right to bid on the NBA all-star game as well which leads me to believe the NBA also feels every NBA city is capable of hosting the game as well, otherwise why have that rule other then the NBA doesn't want to tell small market owners to their fact that they can't host the All-Star game if they want to.

Fine then put it another way. If Portland can't play host to an NBA all-star game it doesn't deserve an NBA franchise, because I can't see how a city could support the NBA Finals but not the NBA All-Star game.

Every NBA city has the right to bid on the NBA all-star game as well which leads me to believe the NBA also feels every NBA city is capable of hosting the game as well, otherwise why have that rule other then the NBA doesn't want to tell small market owners to their fact that they can't host the All-Star game if they want to.

1. Hosting NBA Finals Games and hosting the All Star Game are two vastly different logistical undertakings. The NBA Finals is effectively just another playoff series-a very important one, but from the standpoint of who is going to show up in town to watch the game, it's not that much different from a Round 1 game. Most of the people showing up are fans of the team and therefore live close enough to attend-limiting stress on hotels and convention facilities. There's also a lot shorter notice. The All Star Game, on the other hand, is pro basketball's biggest party, with fans, hangers on, entourages, and other players all showing up to be feted from throughout the league, and oh yeah planned months in advance. You are pretty much trying to find accommodations for the fans of 30 different teams. 28-29 of which aren't local. This is, to put it mildly, a problem.

2. Well, there is the issue of said market and team wanting to host the All Star Game. I don't think many do, for many and various reasons that are almost certain to ignite flame wars.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Hosting NBA Finals Games and hosting the All Star Game are two vastly different logistical undertakings. The NBA Finals is effectively just another playoff series-a very important one, but from the standpoint of who is going to show up in town to watch the game, it's not that much different from a Round 1 game. Most of the people showing up are fans of the team and therefore live close enough to attend-limiting stress on hotels and convention facilities. There's also a lot shorter notice. The All Star Game, on the other hand, is pro basketball's biggest party, with fans, hangers on, entourages, and other players all showing up to be feted from throughout the league, and oh yeah planned months in advance. You are pretty much trying to find accommodations for the fans of 30 different teams. 28-29 of which aren't local. This is, to put it mildly, a problem.

2. Well, there is the issue of said market and team wanting to host the All Star Game. I don't think many do, for many and various reasons that are almost certain to ignite flame wars.

Look don't try to say the media coverage in the NBA Finals is roughly the same as that of a 1st round series.

As far as the All-Star game goes its something that's always had a very variable scale as far to how big it is with all of the three major sports that have a rotating schedule.. Depends on the city and how much it puts into it. This year's all-star is nowhere near where Dallas was two years. I also think its going to be a long time if ever before that game is topped.

The only point I'm trying to make is every NBA city should be capable of hosting the NBA all-star game. I feel that's a fair minimum requirement to ask for a city to have an NBA franchise. Not saying they have to, just that they could. If they can't then they don't deserve a franchise. I think every NBA city could in fact do it. Some better then others but every city I feel could do a somewhat decent job at hosting the game.

Look don't try to say the media coverage in the NBA Finals is roughly the same as that of a 1st round series.

As far as the All-Star game goes its something that's always had a very variable scale as far to how big it is with all of the three major sports that have a rotating schedule.. Depends on the city and how much it puts into it. This year's all-star is nowhere near where Dallas was two years. I also think its going to be a long time if ever before that game is topped.

The only point I'm trying to make is every NBA city should be capable of hosting the NBA all-star game. I feel that's a fair minimum requirement to ask for a city to have an NBA franchise. Not saying they have to, just that they could. If they can't then they don't deserve a franchise. I think every NBA city could in fact do it. Some better then others but every city I feel could do a somewhat decent job at hosting the game.

Media Coverage for the NBA Finals means "We might have to reserve another row for the press and their computers," and a few more parking spots for TV vans. Media considerations aren't the logistical choke point. Finding space for the thousands upon thousands of camp followers that show up for an NBA All Star Game (well above and beyond the NBA Finals) is the logistical choke point. With the NBA Finals, all you have is a game. With the All Star Game, you have a giant party. And then you have a game.

Today, we are all otaku.

If Columbus can host the NHL ASG, I don't see why Portland can't host.

Apples and Oranges. Ovechkin's entourage doesn't even begin to approach say, Andrew Bogut's

Today, we are all otaku.

On Wikipedia, it says that the 2014 game is going to Toronto, but I haven't seen anything else yet saying that the game will be in Toronto.

It's Wikipedia. Anyone can edit stuff out and jump the gun on anything.

Archived