Bowl Mania: Uniform Edition

Bmac

What is the appeal of matte helmets? I don't get it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because somtimes they look good.

These

93062528.jpg.16101.0_display_image.jpg?1259979666

Look better than they would with a regular finish.

The baylor helmets do not (IMO).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

These

They only work with jerseys that are matte like Oregon's and TCU's. They look awful with uniforms like Wyomings, Southern Miss' and Baylor's.

But "good" is so subjective. It looks flat and dull to me.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

These

They only work with jerseys that are matte like Oregon's and TCU's. They look awful with uniforms like Wyomings, Southern Miss' and Baylor's.

I agree completely. The same goes with matte jerseys and pants (see Notre Dame, UCLA).

Well, I think that flat helmets look really cheap. Do you think that Oregon helmet would look good flat?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well, I think that flat helmets look really cheap. Do you think that Oregon helmet would look good flat?

If it was a normal finish like other helmets, it would look just fine.

If it was a normal finish like other helmets, it would look just fine.

I don't know how they could do the kind of finish they put on their green helmets on their black ones. I think the matte was the closest they could come to their normal finish.

Both helmets are worse than their standard helmets.

That pretty much sums it up.

Like the rest of you, I'm not a fan of either.

Actaully, I really like the white Washington helmets. It would make a great alt. But yeah, Baylor helmet does not work for me.

I don't know how they could do the kind of finish they put on their green helmets on their black ones. I think the matte was the closest they could come to their normal finish.

They don't need that finish like the green helmets. Just do what every other team that normally wears a black helmet, like Mizzou or Wake Forest or Texas Tech or Iowa does.

They don't need that finish like the green helmets. Just do what every other team that normally wears a black helmet, like Mizzou or Wake Forest or Texas Tech or Iowa does.

Yes, but oregon has matte jersesy and matte pants. You need a matte helmet with that.

Yes, but oregon has matte jersesy and matte pants. You need a matte helmet with that.

Then don't wear matte jerseys and matte pants.

Then don't wear matte jerseys and matte pants.

And have a super icky shiny uniform? No thanks.

Both helmets are worse than their standard helmets.

Bingo. And in a bowl game you should dress your best.

These

I agree completely. The same goes with matte jerseys and pants (see Notre Dame, UCLA).

By flat I trust you actually mean gloss finish. Most helmets are a gloss finish (Atlanta Falcons for example use a black gloss finish). Flat and matte in paint terms are actually the same thing.

To chime in on your question, my answer is yes, I think that black Oregon helmet would look better in gloss form than the matte does. I have yet to see a matte helmet that wouldn't have looked better if they'd used a gloss finish.

Now, if it were a hypothetical metallic black helmet, I would prefer the matte finish because they wear matte pants, otherwise you get a Jacksonville Jaguars situation and that's a disaster. My personal rules are simple; metallic helmet, you should wear metallic pants or pants with a sheen. Gloss helmets, your pants can go either way. Gloss helmets are nuetral, they work with everything and they look good without overtaking the rest of the look. And matte helmets should always be paired with matte pants.

To expound on this idea, I think that Oregon uniform would look so much better if their jerseys and pants incorporated a sheen and weren't matte themselves and it was paired with a glossy dome. It just looks more put together. Plus, matte jerseys and pants look homemade, like someone's mom sewed them together using cotton t-shirts.

It's your opinion that "flat" helmets look cheap, I feel just the opposite.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived