Bmac

Naming Team Colors After Players...?

I am currently working on a Minnesota Twins concept and came across what I find to be an interesting potential topic of discussion. As we well know thanks to our good friend Colorwerx, teams have all sorts of names for the colors they use. From Royal Blue to Periwinkle, we've seen it all. But what about using player names as color names?

In my concept I wanted to choose unique names for the colors, names that fit the team. The first thing that popped into my head was "Killebrew Cream". Then I thought of other name colors.

TwinsColors.png

I thought they all fit nicely.

But I am not sure about the whole idea. Is it acceptable? Is it plausible? What are your thoughts?

You never cease to amaze me with your ideas. This is an absolutely fantastic idea for a concept.

Just a suggestion: Even though I absolutely love Killebrew as a player, maybe you could try out Carew Cream? I know that he spent some time with Angels and Killebrew was a long-time Twins, but Blyleven played for other teams as well.

I had thought about Carew for cream as well, thanks. In fact, here is my alternate list:

TwinsColors1.png

For some reason that yellow/gold just looks like it could be called "Winfield."

Thoughts?

Where's Puckett?

Puckett Purple ^_^

I love Carew Blue, haha. Great idea like the other person said.

The Montreal Canadiens could wear Beliveau Bleu, Boom-Boom Blance and Richard Rouge.

"Selmon-sicle"?

That's about the best I could come up with for my Buccaneers for right now.

(Awesome thread idea btw.)

Just a suggestion: Even though I absolutely love Killebrew as a player, maybe you could try out Carew Cream?

There would be a certain historical irony in assigning the off-white color to Rod Carew, considering why he left the Twins....

First and foremost, I will always advocate for alliteration.

Second, it seems cool, but I think it would only be cool for 2 maybe 3 players, max. Once you get passed 3, it just seems to be cheap and cheesy.

Bondra Blue, Kolzig Copper with White and black for the old 90's caps?

Yankees: Babe Blue, Gehrig Gray, DiMaggio White

Mets: Seaver Blue, Hernandez Orange, Mike White, Mookie Gray, Reyes Black ;)

Red Sox: Ted Red, Bobby Blue, Fisk White, Yaz Gray

First and foremost, I will always advocate for alliteration.

Second, it seems cool, but I think it would only be cool for 2 maybe 3 players, max. Once you get passed 3, it just seems to be cheap and cheesy.

Well hell, your NFL team has the names built in.

Paul Brown (for who the team was named), Jim Brown...every team ain't got it that easy. :P

For the Yankees, white has to be Whitey Ford White. Or Roy White White.

I was thinking that too, but it seemed a disservice to skip DiMaggio and Mantle.

That's all part of the problem. On the want hand you want to make sure the color names sound appropriate and make sense. At the same time you want to make sure the proper players are accounted for in terms of naming. Like it would probably be good to honor Puckett and Oliva, but what if their names don't fit in?

I watch the Atlanta Falcons pretty often (Though I don't follow really any specific team right now), so I've made some colors:

Ryan Red

Roddie White

Turner Black

Gonzalez Gray