NHL 2012-13 Uniform redesign series

habsfan1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make the logo smaller and that Canucks concept is perfect. I love the inclusion of the Vs in the sleeve stripes and the silver trim is a good touch.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The logo is a little big, and the collar and numbers could use green instead of the silver. Aside from that it's a great concept.

Funny--I looked at the pictures, and thought the exact same thing--so here's another suggestion to decrease the size of the logo.

(And the green on the number-although green & silver might work as well--or it might be overkill)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Can't believe I've missed this thread up until now!

My thoughts

Minnesota Wild: I think you made the right decision to use a green primary jersey, and the primary logo outside the roundel. It's a very strong mark, and can stand on it's own, so I don't know why the team ever hid it in the first place. The only critique I have for you is the helmet on the alternate; Almost exclusively (or maybe exclusively), when an NHL team has a coloured jersey, the helmet matches the pants. Maybe it's just me, but when I see it match the jersey instead, the uniform seems off-balance because of it. Just one man's opinion, though.

Ottawa Senators: So simple, yet so perfect. The Sens should always be a black-first team, and you took care of business on that note. Getting rid of the generic RBK template was pretty much a given, but you chose a good template that matches their old look, but modernizes it an appropriate amount. Also, I have to say I love that mash-up logo yyou put as the crest... definitely a winner in my book.

Winnipeg Jets: I like parts of both uniform sets. Your mash-up logo is clearly superior to their RCAF roundel, and I vastly prefer the blue and red scheme to the double blue. Both uniform styles look pretty good, but I don't really like how the dark blue numbers look on the white parts of the red-and-blue uniforms. When the numbers are white, they seem crisp and readable, but when they are blue outlined in red, they seem to really lose their punch. Having said that, I also like the shorts and gloves on the red-and-blue uniforms... sometimes the small details add to the complete package, and I think this is one of those times.

Florida Panthers: I like the changes you made to the logo, but when it comes to the jerseys, they seem a little boring. There's also a colour-balance issue where it seems like all three colours (and white) are fighting for their piece of the pie, and all of them lost.

Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks: I think you blended the eras just about perfectly here. I really like the shoulder yoke, and you even made me not hate the gold and orange combination, The only very minor tweak I would suggest is matching the striping on the neckline... everything is identical on the two jerseys' yoke areas except the white stripe on the black jersey being gold on the white jersey. I recommend going gold on both of them, just for consistency's sake.

Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning: I'm going to bundle these two together because my comments about both are basically the same. I really like the idea of the black pants and a black-free jersey, but I think you either need more black in the logos and numbers, or none at all. Just the tiny black outlines look a little out of place when there's absolutely none in the striping or anything. When it's worn on the ice with the pants, it'll look alright, but when it's worn for fashion by fans, it'll seem... off.

Nashville Predators: The slash on the jerseys seems a little gimmicky, but it's well-placed and well-done, and it kinda suits a team like Nashville. On an alternate jersey, why not? I'm thinking a plain yellow name-on-back might look better than white outlined with yellow, though... the outline itself might cause readability issues.

Carolina Hurricanes: Fairly simple, which isn't a bad thing. Their silver always seemed a little unnecessary, anyways. I like the striping you have on their pants, but not what you have on their socks. It's a little too RBK Edge-y.

Vancouver Canucks: Aside from Johnny Canuck being ginormous, this is a great set. I like the darker blue and the silver... reminds me a lot of the Whalers, actually. The 'V' on the arms looks a lot better when it's outlined in the silver like you have it, I think. I echo what a couple people have already said about adding some green to the collar area, but I think changing the white neck piping to silver in the process could pay off. Just a thought I had, not really sure how it'll look in practice.

Keep up the good great work.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I prefer the navy, but i LOVE the collar. The one good thing the Thrashers ever gave us.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And here's a response in no particular order to a number of points that aci made in the post above...

- The reason I gave the Wild alt a red helmet was because I got the idea from the 80s New Jersey Devils. Since the jersey is vintage style, I wanted to complete the vintage overall look with a nod to something that's been done in the past.

- I went for a classy type look for the Dallas Stars and for the Lightning, I wanted to paint a picture of what the team might actually do in real life down the line.

- Agreed with your point on the navy outlined in blue numbers for the Jets. Didn't notice that very much until it was pointed out more.

Thank you for your C & C on all of my concepts. I cannot wait to start my graphic design program, this spring!!

Huge improvement on the Canucks set. The royal blue looks good but I still prefer the navy.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The flames set is really good. My one minor nitpick is the black armpits. It looks really practice jersey-esque. Other than that its the perfect flames jersey.

That would be my problem with it--contrasting pits end up looking like stains...

but it is better than what they currently have when not wearing their thirds...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived