College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Can someone tell me why nike just posted this on there website http://store.nike.co...218/pgid-711217

So folks can buy it? Its does seem strange to roll out an old design. Maybe wanted to use a recognizable pattern and the new wings would look like road rash.

Yeah obviously it was for people to buy it but it is strange to use the old template when they just came out a new one.

Especially when they sell these:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-571525/pgid-571527

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

42-66842-F.jpg

I really like this shirt, BUT Notre Dame is an adidas school, and this is a Nike shirt, which makes it weird.

Nike outfits the BCS teams with fan apparel I have a Michigan one from last years sugar bowl.

True, but the on-field stuff only has a Nike swoosh if the winning team is a nike school.

No swoosh:

ncf_g_michigan04jr_576_576.jpg

Swoosh:

Kevin+Johnson+Tostitos+Fiesta+Bowl+Stanford+RWehJxSQx9Ql.jpg

As an Auburn fan when we won the BCS (Feels like decades after the season we had) I have the USA Today framed from the day after and Cam was wearing the hat and t-shirt with out a logo but a week after i got my locker room gear and the swoosh was on both the shirt and the hat. Long story short they only print the shirts without the logo for on field celeabrations

Right. Which is what I said.

Can someone tell me why nike just posted this on there website http://store.nike.co...218/pgid-711217

So folks can buy it? Its does seem strange to roll out an old design. Maybe wanted to use a recognizable pattern and the new wings would look like road rash.

Yeah obviously it was for people to buy it but it is strange to use the old template when they just came out a new one.

Especially when they sell these:

http://store.nike.co...525/pgid-571527

Seeing the old template now makes it seem like it was forever ago that they wore them. They've changed so much in the past year.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

In a stroke of fate, Nike Yardline @ Champs (Willowbrook Mall; Wayne, N.J.) has the Army/Navy baselayers on sale...I've never seen the Pro Combat Rivalry baselayers drop to the public in four years, so I was excited to scoop them. And yes, the Army map is very detailed.

EDIT: The only difference from the promo pics is that the Army shirt does have the Swoosh up on the mock neck, not on the left chest. I'm not a huge fan of the mock necks but will overlook it in this case.

u2Knn.jpg

Dang you got one?....I want one of those so bad

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

You don't need player name. Numbers are the only useful marker on jerseys for either fans to see (no one can read NOBs from even reasonable distances) or refs to work with (it's a lot easier to know who's eligible by their number rather than looking at a list of players).

NOBs in every single sport - without exception - are superfluous. I have no problem with a majority of teams using them in all sports, but to say you don't understand why teams don't use them - because they don't need to.

NOBs are unnecessary clutter.

You don't need player name. Numbers are the only useful marker on jerseys for either fans to see (no one can read NOBs from even reasonable distances) or refs to work with (it's a lot easier to know who's eligible by their number rather than looking at a list of players).

NOBs in every single sport - without exception - are superfluous. I have no problem with a majority of teams using them in all sports, but to say you don't understand why teams don't use them - because they don't need to.

In the age of TV, that's simply not true. NOBs are easily read from many TV angles, and many casual fans would have a hard time identifying players without them. Plus, you often see announcers use teh NOBs to identify players, especially in college football when you have multiple players on a roster wearing the same number.

In the age of TV, that's simply not true. NOBs are easily read from many TV angles, and many casual fans would have a hard time identifying players without them. Plus, you often see announcers use teh NOBs to identify players, especially in college football when you have multiple players on a roster wearing the same number.

Actually... what you just said isn't true.

When referring to, "reasonable distances," I am clearly talking about fans at sporting events. Obviously NOBs are visible on medium range or closeups on TV. And as you can read here, most announcers - especially in football - use spotters to find out players names, and they use jersey numbers, which can - at times - cause confusion (the last NU game, a TD was credited to a back up QB and not the TE who actually caught it and was not corrected by the booth until after a commercial break... and NU wears NOBs every single game.).

If anything, I'd be so very bold as to say that in today's day and age, numbers on back are superfluous. What info is needed to identify an athlete on the field of play in today's age? His team and his name (and you can argue his position). A limited range of numbers, 0-99, is no longer necessary. Though it'd be a very jarring image, all you need really is a team logo on the front and the players' full name on the back.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

disagree. Numbers are easier and faster to work with especially in a sport like football where certain players are ineligible to be certain places (lineman running down field on pass plays) or do certain things (lineman touching the football in most normal situations). Imagine teams like Oregon who run a fast tempo offense (one play every 13 seconds) who also substitute - sometimes near wholesale changes - play by play and even on extra points, where they start off in an A-11 formation and decide whether or not to run a 2pt conversion, the confusion over which players - determined by name - are eligible would slow down their offense in an extremely detrimental way.

And just to be clear, they're not the only team who do things like this. Arizona, Northwestern, Indiana, Oklahoma, etc. all run similar styles of uptempo no huddle.

And may I just repeat, I don't care if a team has NOBs or not. In fact, I think a few teams - per tradition - shouldn't have them (Yankees, Indiana BBall, USC, ND in the regular season, probably PennState...) but I think the vast majority should have them because why not. It's fun for the student athlete, it's an honor for the professional and I think it just works for most teams.

not sure if anyone noticed this year but in my opinion the numbering system has also been made slightly less relevant in CFB this year...while numbers are absolute, the proliferation of duplicates (even on the same field at the same time), players wearing multiple numbers in a game (stanford and usc come to mind), or weekly number changes for players (usc again) has really marginalized the integrity of having a numbering system as the ultimate unique identifier of players on the field.

the ncaa really needs to crack down and firm up the numbering rules to keep things from getting worse.

-an official roster needs to be submitted before the game with concrete names/numbers

-dupe numbers need a way of designation (10/10a or 10a/10b)

-the only way a player can change numbers in a game is if their existing jersey is destroyed but even then they can simply replace with a blank.

stop the madness already

If anything, I'd be so very bold as to say that in today's day and age, numbers on back are superfluous. What info is needed to identify an athlete on the field of play in today's age? His team and his name (and you can argue his position). A limited range of numbers, 0-99, is no longer necessary. Though it'd be a very jarring image, all you need really is a team logo on the front and the players' full name on the back.

Tell that to the PBP announcers, or even the officials on the field/court/ice. The entire purpose of jersey numbers to begin with was a means of quick identification at a glance. I've never been a game official—perhaps slapshot could shed a little more light on this—but I really don't think many if any officials care one iota about what a player's name is...only that they can quickly and correctly identify a player when/if need be.

But let's play devils' advocate here and say numbers aren't really needed: what then, do you so when trying to identify from the booth, or communicate across a distance or at a moment's glance, names like "Fuamatu-Ma'afala", "Gbaja-Biamila", "Kaheaku-Enhada", or "Biakabatuka"*—names that, aside from being hard to pronounce, would inherently be crammed into an already confined-enough space as it is which would even further limit legibility?

*obviously all extreme examples—but sometimes you gotta think of and take the most extreme possibilities into consideration when critically thinking about a particular subject. /army education

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't think nob's are necessary, but i dont think they are unnecessary either. I really hate team nob's though, those should be exclusive to girls volleyball.

But back to regular nob's, i kinda see as a way to make the player feel like theyre playing for more than themselves, but rather for their family name, to represent the people that helped them to get where they are today. And i wanna say it was MJD that changed his nob to honor his grandfather? I just think it's a cool thing. and they usually don't look bad imo.

I don't think nob's are necessary, but i dont think they are unnecessary either. I really hate team nob's though, those should be exclusive to girls volleyball.

But back to regular nob's, i kinda see as a way to make the player feel like theyre playing for more than themselves, but rather for their family name, to represent the people that helped them to get where they are today. And i wanna say it was MJD that changed his nob to honor his grandfather? I just think it's a cool thing. and they usually don't look bad imo.

:therock:

Archived