Best goalie mask of all time?

johnnysama

For over half a a century, when Jacques Plante became the first goaltender in the NHL to wear a mask full-time, the goalie mask has evolved from a utilitarian way of protecting a goaltender's face/head to an intricate part of a teams design- almost everyone's mask design is rather amazing these days. :D

Anyway, what do you think is the best goalie mask of all time? The fiberglass masks used for the first 20-odd years were OK, but evoke memories of the Friday the 13th films, so your mileage may vary on that.

I'm a sucker for this design: DSCF1782.JPG

My fave modern mask: jonathan-quick.jpg

As an aside, I would like to someday have one of those helmets like the first one above. What am I supposed to do, get a goalie cage + put it togethere w/a normal hockey helmet?

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the simple Pelle Lindbergh mask

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Might be biased, but I always loved Irbe's mask. Hell, he had the best goalie equipment in the NHL over the last 30 years in my opinion. Absolutely loved his beat up white pads.

thumbnail.jpg

I also liked the mask he had towards the end of his career with the Latvian flag on the back.

03_04_03_archie1.jpg

T1oYViW.png

J.S. Giguere's old Mighty Ducks mask has always been a favorite of mine:

js_giguere2.jpg

Some other favorites:

roy.jpg

richter.jpg

weekes_0506_match_1.jpg

(The facemask is my favorite part)

...and last, but certainly not least...

dal_split1x_576.jpg

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

On 1/25/2012 at 9:56 AM, charger77 said:

Gee Dan, when did you grow up?

I agree with -Dan on his masks...Team-based designs > unrelated designs.

And even: basic team logo-based designs > abstract team-based designs.

(also it appears that I grew up about when -Dan did).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Agreed. I tend to like simpler designs, basic shapes and colours. This overly complex air brush trend that's going on right now is the worst thing to happen to goalie mask design in a while. If you can't make out the design from the stands then it's not really a good mask design. Besides, no one needs to wear a mural on their head.

Some of my favourites that haven't been posted.

potvin_leafs_match_1_display_image.jpg

jimmywaitemask.png

hexy4.jpg

byrandefoemask.png

641572203_aa339b8781.jpg

guyherbetmask.png

I may not like the Disney identity, but this was a sweet mask to compliment it.

Clemmensen.jpg

Scott Clemmensen's got a bit of a Potvin thing going on at the moment. The clear design/bold lines in the Panthers' bold colour scheme really works for me.

Mikhail Shtalenkov

week17.jpg

Looked especially fantastic with this jersey.

shtalenkov.gif

As for cages, no one did it better.

MSgallery40.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived