Best goalie mask of all time?

johnnysama

I'm a huge hockey fan, huge Islanders fan, and huge goalie fan as it was the position I played. There are so many masks I really like, but every DiPietro mask he has had over the years has been an amazing display of patriotism and honoring the military and his dad. I love these.

[Tons of Rick DiPietro masks]

I think the more impressive thing is that 30 pictures exist of Rick DiPietro playing NHL hockey.

yawning.jpg

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad he can't stay healthy, he was a man child at BU, would've loved to have seen his career at full speed.

This thread starts and ends with Cheevers. Call me a homer but that mask was something fierce. Every time I bought a new mask I picked up a white Itech just to mimic his idea. Turns out I never really get hit anywhere but the cage, oh well, I may or may not have a few embellished stitch marks on there.

My top 5

For me Curtis Joseph's mask is still at the top of the list, I'm including his lid from St. Louis because I liked the increased color variance compared to his one in Toronto. I've got Prisma Color pencils and a big art pad ready to draw the version from St. Louis.

curtis-joseph-toronto.jpgMASK03.jpg

Roy didnt wear this one for too long, I think only a season or so. There was a profile photo of him wearing it I got out of a magazine in high school that I made a nice gray scale drawing from.

PatrickRoy96-97Pinnaclemask.jpg

Mike Richter's was another classic imo. I liked the '94 version the best, each subsequent time he had it repainted Lady Liberty seemed to get more and more distorted I thought.

richter.jpgrichter.gif

Kirk McLean

hmcleanclose.jpg

And Kenny Wregget's Danny Devito Penguin mask, he didnt wear it long, it eventually became a backup mask to his robo-penguin mask but I loved this one.

ken-wregget.jpg

In addition I'll second the comment from page 1 that you can't beat Tommy Soderstrom cage

MSgallery40.jpg

Finally, Don Beaupre's masks I liked since he didnt use a cat-eye cage on them, his Capital Dome Washington mask was nice, but I thought the design from Ottawa was a bit better

beauot.jpg

Don't think Gary Bromley's mask's been posted yet:

gary-bromley(2).jpg

When I was a kid I had a book about various sports. There was a picture of Bromley in the ice hockey section that gave me nightmares for years...

This is the first time I ever saw that mask.

I'm a fan of Tugnutt's splash mask with the Penguins. Pieterangelo's triangles are another favorite. As well as Wregget's ice penguin:

pit-tugnutt3.jpgpit-frankie2.jpgpit-wregget4.jpg

No penguin mask matches the Wregget DeVito Penguin one posted earlier, though.

And while it didn't match the team at all, it seemed to be part of the charm of Johan Hedberg his rookie season when he seemingly came out of nowhere. Also there was the "penguins waddling into the igloo" mask Aubin had. As a child, these were my absolute favorites.

moose-hedberg.jpgpit-aubin.jpg

oBIgzrL.png

Turco's last Stars mask's were spectacular. Particularly the Black one with the cracked earth in gold

martyturco.jpg

Somebody already posted Belfour but I always thought the design looked best during his tenure with the Leafs. Wish I could find a better picture.

fecd790647acbb44574a2b3.jpg

Lastly we have Wade Dubielewicz. Who else would put Yoda, the Fisherman and pictures from the dynasty years on the same design?

dubielewicz.jpg

Actually, many of today's current masks suck. First of all, they are so friggin' busy that they look horrible and then when you check out the details, they look even worse because it has nothing to do with the team. Look at Felix Potvin's mask, it was a stylized cat in the Leafs colors. Simple, it was personal to him, but it stood the test of time because it didn't matter what team he was on, it worked. I'd say a good majority of the designs today are horrible because they have nothing to do with the team and can't transfer to another team. Would Mike Richter's mask work well if he was playing on the Canadiens or the Sharks? No, but it worked because it was a simple design that had the colors of the team a simple rendition of a team logo and that is an identity to NYC. That's one reason why I hated Jonas Hiller's black mask, it had no personality to the team, him, or Anaheim in it whatsoever.

Actually, many of today's current masks suck. First of all, they are so friggin' busy that they look horrible and then when you check out the details, they look even worse because it has nothing to do with the team. Look at Felix Potvin's mask, it was a stylized cat in the Leafs colors. Simple, it was personal to him, but it stood the test of time because it didn't matter what team he was on, it worked. I'd say a good majority of the designs today are horrible because they have nothing to do with the team and can't transfer to another team. Would Mike Richter's mask work well if he was playing on the Canadiens or the Sharks? No, but it worked because it was a simple design that had the colors of the team a simple rendition of a team logo and that is an identity to NYC. That's one reason why I hated Jonas Hiller's black mask, it had no personality to the team, him, or Anaheim in it whatsoever.

Agreed, this one however was great....

79740811.jpg

This post makes absolutely no sense. You present different arguments, all of which contradict each other.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

John Blue, a journeyman from the early 90's.

blue.jpg

Is that black or blue? You'd think it would be blue.

Doug Favell, my childhood fave.

favell.jpg

The Drydster. Both amazing.

drydenpuckface__2_.jpg

dryden.jpg

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

BTW here's the one he wore:

carey.jpg

Wore that during his stint with the Portland Pirates AHL team.

These two Tim Thomas masks are pretty damn cool:

tim-thomas.14374032.jpg

tim-thomas.jpg

I like his whole equipment set on this one.

One more Carey. This is actually Byron Dafoe. Still a great mask.

dafoe.jpg

I personally like this one

~~~~

boston-tim-thomas.jpg

Eh, the Tea Party stuff kinda ruins it for me, and I'd prefer if it had more colors.

~~~~

I'm a huge hockey fan, huge Islanders fan, and huge goalie fan as it was the position I played. There are so many masks I really like, but every DiPietro mask he has had over the years has been an amazing display of patriotism and honoring the military and his dad. I love these.

[Tons of Rick DiPietro masks]

I think the more impressive thing is that 30 pictures exist of Rick DiPietro playing NHL hockey.

Ha!

spacer.png

Archived