TCU to unveil new graphic identity

gdu

I hate how anonymity turns people into a-holes. This could have been designed by one of our own, and it certainly wouldn't garner the same response in the concept forum.

A lot of the designers in the concept forum aren't getting paid...that's the big difference.

Professional designers on this board have already said they don't mind the criticism. It comes with the business. And if I was a professional designer, I'd rather hear people tell me what they don't like about it, rather than stroke my ego with false pretenses.

True, but all too often you hear people (on this board, too) make really disparaging remarks about how 'The designer could have at least put in a tiny bit of effort.' or 'This is so amateurish. I can't believe this guy has a job.' when they don't know who designed it or under what circumstances, what the client gave as a brief, etc. People take advantage of that anonymity and truly do take the criticism far beyond a healthy level.

For example: A member of this board designed the Buffaslug. I'm sure he loved reading all the s#!t that was written about him without being able to defend himself properly (s#!t that was written without knowledge of the ins and outs of the development of professional athletic identities in general, let alone that particular identity).

Believe me I heard it all when one of my designs that ended up on the ice was hated and is one of the most hated jerseys in the NHL (I didn't do the jersey but I did the crest)

But what they don't understand is that was one of about 30 options and what was chosen was completely out of my control. Also the concept was not mine but the teams.

But I don't care since it was my first I have it framed in my house and am proud of it.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn that...which crest did Pat create??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I hate how anonymity turns people into a-holes. This could have been designed by one of our own, and it certainly wouldn't garner the same response in the concept forum.

A lot of the designers in the concept forum aren't getting paid...that's the big difference.

Professional designers on this board have already said they don't mind the criticism. It comes with the business. And if I was a professional designer, I'd rather hear people tell me what they don't like about it, rather than stroke my ego with false pretenses.

True, but all too often you hear people (on this board, too) make really disparaging remarks about how 'The designer could have at least put in a tiny bit of effort.' or 'This is so amateurish. I can't believe this guy has a job.' when they don't know who designed it or under what circumstances, what the client gave as a brief, etc. People take advantage of that anonymity and truly do take the criticism far beyond a healthy level.

For example: A member of this board designed the Buffaslug. I'm sure he loved reading all the s#!t that was written about him without being able to defend himself properly (s#!t that was written without knowledge of the ins and outs of the development of professional athletic identities in general, let alone that particular identity).

Believe me I heard it all when one of my designs that ended up on the ice was hated and is one of the most hated jerseys in the NHL (I didn't do the jersey but I did the crest)

But what they don't understand is that was one of about 30 options and what was chosen was completely out of my control. Also the concept was not mine but the teams.

But I don't care since it was my first I have it framed in my house and am proud of it.

While it is true that the project may be heavily influenced by the client, let us not fully divorce the designer of all responsibility. Just because a concept is steered by the client, that is no excuse for poor execution of it. It may not be an inspired piece of art, but it should still be correctly-drawn and have a polished finish.

I admit... I'm the proud papa of the Buffaslug.

I co-sign on Pat, Matt, Harry's and Funkatron's comments as well.

I've actually spoken on this on these boards before, but it was about a year ago.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

I've actually spoken on this on these boards before, but it was about a year ago.

Since we're on the subject of sharing, I designed the silhouette of the maple leaf in this logo. Not the beveling, or any of the text, though. Literally just the outline of the maple leaf.

Winnipeg%20Jets%20New%20Logo%2002.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Since we're on the subject of sharing, I designed the silhouette of the maple leaf in this logo. Not the beveling, or any of the text, though. Literally just the outline of the maple leaf.

Winnipeg%20Jets%20New%20Logo%2002.jpg

Hey, the question was asked...

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Wow. Your logo is notorious in the history of sports. I'd totally embrace that if I were you. The Notorious KPBL! Notorious doesn't have to be to your detriment. It helped him:

Notorious+BIG.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Pardon my ignorance. Which one?

Thanks guys!

I went " diggin' through the crates" last night and found previous rounds of work on that project... it was good for a few laughs, for sure!

Honestly, I think that taste of negative feedback really drove me to become a better designer... Did I like it? No. Did it turn out to be worthwhile? Absolutely!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Thanks guys!

I went " diggin' through the crates" last night and found previous rounds of work on that project... it was good for a few laughs, for sure!

Honestly, I think that taste of negative feedback really drove me to become a better designer... Did I like it? No. Did it turn out to be worthwhile? Absolutely!

Can you post them? We saw some early sketches on Icethetics a while back, but I'd love to see some of the early logos.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Thanks guys!

Can you post them? We saw some early sketches on Icethetics a while back, but I'd love to see some of the early logos.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

It's coming up as "blocked/private" when I open the link.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Give this a go, and let me know if this works!

I better break out the poncho and get ready for the $#!+storm!

Buffalo Sabres Concepts

I'm excited! I'd love to see that stuff. Just get the image URL, paste it, highlight it, then click the picture icon above the text space(Two to the right of the smiley face.)

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

While we're on the subject of the sabres, did anyone ever see this logo as like some sort of creature facing the left with his mouth open?? It took me forever to realize it was a buffalo

220px-Buffalo_Sabres_Logo_1996-2006.svg.png

Oh and Raysox, that's the best advice i've ever read on here, never knew you could directly post pictures with urls, thank you!

While we're on the subject of the sabres, did anyone ever see this logo as like some sort of creature facing the left with his mouth open?? It took me forever to realize it was a buffalo

220px-Buffalo_Sabres_Logo_1996-2006.svg.png

Oh and Raysox, that's the best advice i've ever read on here, never knew you could directly post pictures with urls, thank you!

I updated the link... and I'm slow... I still couldn't figure that ish out!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Archived