TCU to unveil new graphic identity

gdu

What could have been *sigh*

TCU.png

Not really diggin' the stripes on top, but that helmet would work.

.... and when I look at this and my avi, it would be a pretty good nod to a throwback.

Still, I'd much rather have the Frog that the school used to re-build its image in the national spotlight.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I must be in the minority. I hated that "new" frog. The body looked awful, and the head certainly wasn't a masterpiece either.

You must have been reading a different board, because you are NOT in the minority.

This logo change (happening or not) isn't exactly the greatest thing goin' for the school.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Here's some of the views from other Frog fans on the new logo on Spit Blood:

Spit Blood: The New TCU Frog

... the facebook comments aren't any more positive.

Sounds very similar to when Michigan State was going to change its logo. It's tough to update something alumni, students and fans hold in high regard.

Even if it is a little goofy looking and cartoonish, this is TCU's best and *most successful identity*.

*I would say second most successful, but (1) I don't think the 1930's look would work today and (2)... I can't really find their 1930's logo. I'm sure it was posted somewhere on this forum but cannot find it.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

I hate how anonymity turns people into a-holes. This could have been designed by one of our own, and it certainly wouldn't garner the same response in the concept forum.

Not to mention that the client has the final say, and the artist works with what they want.

I hate how anonymity turns people into a-holes. This could have been designed by one of our own, and it certainly wouldn't garner the same response in the concept forum.

A lot of the designers in the concept forum aren't getting paid...that's the big difference.

Professional designers on this board have already said they don't mind the criticism. It comes with the business. And if I was a professional designer, I'd rather hear people tell me what they don't like about it, rather than stroke my ego with false pretenses.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A lot of the designers in the concept forum aren't getting paid...that's the big difference.

Professional designers on this board have already said they don't mind the criticism. It comes with the business. And if I was a professional designer, I'd rather hear people tell me what they don't like about it, rather than stroke my ego with false pretenses.

That is the key. Criticism is welcome, encouraged even. Making snide comments about tuition dropping, "Oh :censored:, what have they done?!" "Oh dear mother of God"...come on. Especially when some suspected that it is Davidson's work.

I'm not happy with this. The new logo was a great starting point and could've been made into a better logo. The old frog looks obese

But... it wasn't going to be made into a better logo. It was what it was. I'd rather have an old logo than the 'starting point' for a new logo as the cornerstone of my identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

True, but all too often you hear people (on this board, too) make really disparaging remarks about how 'The designer could have at least put in a tiny bit of effort.' or 'This is so amateurish. I can't believe this guy has a job.' when they don't know who designed it or under what circumstances, what the client gave as a brief, etc. People take advantage of that anonymity and truly do take the criticism far beyond a healthy level.

For example: A member of this board designed the Buffaslug. I'm sure he loved reading all the s#!t that was written about him without being able to defend himself properly (s#!t that was written without knowledge of the ins and outs of the development of professional athletic identities in general, let alone that particular identity).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

True, but all too often you hear people (on this board, too) make really disparaging remarks about how 'The designer could have at least put in a tiny bit of effort.' or 'This is so amateurish. I can't believe this guy has a job.' when they don't know who designed it or under what circumstances, what the client gave as a brief, etc. People take advantage of that anonymity and truly do take the criticism far beyond a healthy level.

For example: A member of this board designed the Buffaslug. I'm sure he loved reading all the s#!t that was written about him without being able to defend himself properly (s#!t that was written without knowledge of the ins and outs of the development of professional athletic identities in general, let alone that particular identity).

Bingo. I know who you are talking about, and he has made some really solid designs.

What the client ends up choosing may not be what you think is best. Sometimes their decisions are real head-scratchers, and you can't change their minds.

Bingo. I know who you are talking about, and he has made some really solid designs.

What the client ends up choosing may not be what you think is best. Sometimes their decisions are real head-scratchers, and you can't change their minds.

Good points (both of you guys).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the main reason people had a problem with this "new frog" is because of the success that came with it. Patterson is a very superstitious coach, as we know TCU started last season WITHOUT the frog underneath the arching 'TCU' on the helmet. The team lost 2 games with it, one of them being the first home loss in a while.

After the SMU debacle, the original frog was placed back on and TCU won the rest of the season.

Call it superstition, but that could be another reason. Besides, the Nike designed frog just... doesn't... fit. And if they put the full body on the helmet, I think it would have been a downgrade.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

It's an awkward animal to begin with, and then you sneak out this clunky design that doesn't really flow well at all...dumping the change was for the best.

It's an awkward animal to begin with, and then you sneak out this clunky design that doesn't really flow well at all...dumping the change was for the best.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm sorry--could you repeat that once more, sir? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nah seriously, I know the dude that designed the Buffaslug too... he deserved all the criticism. He's a slouch.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Nah seriously, I know the dude that designed the Buffaslug too... he deserved all the criticism. He's a slouch.

You make a good point. He could probably learn a thing or two from the guy who did this, for example.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=3g5wchibh2ltoh617fcpgmfio

I like that guy's style!

I think the main reason people had a problem with this "new frog" is because of the success that came with it. Patterson is a very superstitious coach, as we know TCU started last season WITHOUT the frog underneath the arching 'TCU' on the helmet. The team lost 2 games with it, one of them being the first home loss in a while.

After the SMU debacle, the original frog was placed back on and TCU won the rest of the season.

Call it superstition, but that could be another reason. Besides, the Nike designed frog just... doesn't... fit. And if they put the full body on the helmet, I think it would have been a downgrade.

I happen to think that the current frog looks more like the classic collegiate animal mascots...it has somewhat of an angry look on it's face and the squatting position gives a it a much stronger presence...the new frog may look more anatomically correct but it looks like a sleeping lizard that's been basking in the desert sun all day.

Archived