2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess tonight in Washington they are going to party like its 1933.

Wrong. There will be more alcohol than in 1933.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Legal alcohol, that is.

---

When the White Sox miss the playoffs this year, they'll have that brutal 6-12 record against the crappy Royals to thank for it.

Except for Bryce Harper, who shared sparkling grape juice with Adam LaRoches 10 yr old son Drake tonight.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Legal alcohol, that is.

---

When the White Sox miss the playoffs this year, they'll have that brutal 6-12 record against the crappy Royals to thank for it.

Except for Bryce Harper, who shared sparkling grape juice with Adam LaRoches 10 yr old son Drake tonight.

I rather have the Grape Juice myself. I had had a total of 4 drinks my entire life.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Unbelievable. Hard to believe the Dodgers...

-let the Nats be the first DC team since 1933 to be in the playoffs.

-can let the Reds win the Central tomorrow (with a Cardinals loss as well).

-are 8-14 since they unloaded $300+ million in Red Sox assets.

-have fallen apart offensively, while the pitching is horrendous and of course, the injuries.

-can surrender the West to the hated Giants as soon as Saturday.

It sucks in LA right now. The Dodgers and Angels are screwed out of the playoffs, USC's national championship chances are dead, there's no Kings cup defense because of the lockout, and AEG's sell is in danger of killing our chances of getting an NFL team. Thank God basketball season is right around the corner...

You know, in the end this all just goes back to the semantics argument of being the best player in the league, versus the most "valuable" player, value obviously being a relative term.

Different sport example, but if we're going to be sticklers for "value", then Peyton Manning should've been the unanimous 2011 NFL MVP. It was clear how steep the difference was between some awful schmucks like Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky, and one of the greatest QB's to ever play in the sport.

Hell, to apply this to MLB, the AL MVP should be Yoenis Cespedes, not Mike Trout. Why? Oakland is 12-22 without him in their lineup, while they're 73-42 with him in there. Anaheim doesn't have that good a win percentage with Trout vs. without Trout.

That Peyton thing was a cute joke that's not meant to be taken seriously. Since he didn't play it's impossible to say how much better the Colts would have been. And of course you can't quantify value just by looking at a team's wins and losses with a player.

Trout is the MVP and it's really not close. Something like the triple crown being a tiebreaker is just what the voters would use to avoid doing any actual research and thinking. It's ridiculous.

Unbelievable. Hard to believe the Dodgers...

-let the Nats be the first DC team since 1933 to be in the playoffs.

-can let the Reds win the Central tomorrow (with a Cardinals loss as well).

-are 8-14 since they unloaded $300+ million in Red Sox assets.

-have fallen apart offensively, while the pitching is horrendous and of course, the injuries.

-can surrender the West to the hated Giants as soon as Saturday.

It sucks in LA right now. The Dodgers and Angels are screwed out of the playoffs, USC's national championship chances are dead, there's no Kings cup defense because of the lockout, and AEG's sell is in danger of killing our chances of getting an NFL team. Thank God basketball season is right around the corner...

That's a double edged sword because of the Clippers.

Legal alcohol, that is.

---

I'm sure Bryce Harper wishes they were still in Montreal.

You know, in the end this all just goes back to the semantics argument of being the best player in the league, versus the most "valuable" player, value obviously being a relative term.

Different sport example, but if we're going to be sticklers for "value", then Peyton Manning should've been the unanimous 2011 NFL MVP. It was clear how steep the difference was between some awful schmucks like Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky, and one of the greatest QB's to ever play in the sport.

Hell, to apply this to MLB, the AL MVP should be Yoenis Cespedes, not Mike Trout. Why? Oakland is 12-22 without him in their lineup, while they're 73-42 with him in there. Anaheim doesn't have that good a win percentage with Trout vs. without Trout.

That Peyton thing was a cute joke that's not meant to be taken seriously. Since he didn't play it's impossible to say how much better the Colts would have been. And of course you can't quantify value just by looking at a team's wins and losses with a player.

Trout is the MVP and it's really not close. Something like the triple crown being a tiebreaker is just what the voters would use to avoid doing any actual research and thinking. It's ridiculous.

It might be impossible to know how Peyton would've done when healthy in 2011, or how the Colts would've done, but given Peyton's impeccable track record, you can get a pretty damn good idea that he would've been enormously better than Painter and Orlovsky.

I was taking MVP at it's literal form there. I know the Colts had other issues last season, but you go from nine years in a row in the playoffs with Peyton, to nearly going 0-fer. That jumps right off the damn page at me, and should for everyone.

spacer.png

The Reds clinched a playoff spot yesterday as well. Basically that collapse Cardinals fans were talking about in August isn't going to happen.

Sidethought: I really hope teams hold off on the champagne celebration for simply making it to the wildcard game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Maybe the U.S. economy needs to be in the toilet for a DC team to be in the playoffs (Great Depression, Great Recession).

Well Washington went to the World Series in 1924 & 1925 winning it in 1924.

Those were boom times, that was the height of the roaring Twenties.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Maybe the U.S. economy needs to be in the toilet for a DC team to be in the playoffs (Great Depression, Great Recession).

Well Washington went to the World Series in 1924 & 1925 winning it in 1924.

Those were boom times, that was the height of the roaring Twenties.

Mid 20's-mid 30's the Senators were pretty good. Walter Johnson, Joe Cronin, Goose Goslin, Sam Rice. They were some talented teams. They were just totally inept as a franchise in virtually every year thereafter. Sad part was they were just starting to get good when they bolted for Minnesota. Would be interesting to see what would have happened had the original Senators remained in D.C. and Minnesota had gotten an expansion team. Would have probably made for a great regional rivalry with the Orioles during the 60's and they may still very well be going as a franchise.

Sidethought: I really hope teams hold off on the champagne celebration for simply making it to the wildcard game.

I agree, but from what someone posted, the Nats popped champagne last night. That's dumb, especially for a team like them who will assuredly win the division. I think the Rays did the same thing in 2008, popping champagne when clinching a spot, then again when winning the division. I like what LaRussa did a few years back, telling the players they wouldn't celebrate until they won the division.

It will be silly seeing teams celebrate for clinching one of the two wildcards, especially since they aren't really in the playoffs, it's a play-in game, and they have a 50% chance of their season ending after one game. Champagne celebrations are one of the things unique to baseball. The long season and the small number of playoff teams means it is a huge accomplishment to make it in, unlike the other pro leagues. Champagne celebrations still meant something after divisions were created in '69, and even after '95 since you still had to be one of the top four out of 14 or 16 teams. But if we are at the point of teams essentially celebrating making a play-in game, then celebrating winning that game before even playing in the playoffs, I think that might be when the shark is jumped.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree, but from what someone posted, the Nats popped champagne last night. That's dumb, especially for a team like them who will assuredly win the division. I think the Rays did the same thing in 2008, popping champagne when clinching a spot, then again when winning the division. I like what LaRussa did a few years back, telling the players they wouldn't celebrate until they won the division.

It will be silly seeing teams celebrate for clinching one of the two wildcards, especially since they aren't really in the playoffs, it's a play-in game, and they have a 50% chance of their season ending after one game. Champagne celebrations are one of the things unique to baseball. The long season and the small number of playoff teams means it is a huge accomplishment to make it in, unlike the other pro leagues. Champagne celebrations still meant something after divisions were created in '69, and even after '95 since you still had to be one of the top four out of 14 or 16 teams. But if we are at the point of teams essentially celebrating making a play-in game, then celebrating winning that game before even playing in the playoffs, I think that might be when the shark is jumped.

Agreed. It's no different than the one game playoff, the only difference is now we'll know who will be in it before the last day of the season, and that we'll have one every year. I kinda want to see a one game playoff to get into the one game playoff.

I know the Reds didn't do anything special for clinching the playoffs yesterday and I think that's the right move. They've been in first since the All-Star break and the Wildcard game has never been the goal going all the way back to Spring Training. From the sound of it a lot of them didn't even know yesterday. I expect they'll pop bottles when they clinch the division though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived