2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

It's a travesty that Teemu is not on there instead of Corey Perry as the Ducks representative. Perry does have 4 more goals (18 to 14), but Teemu bests him in assists (27-17), points (41-35), and +/- (+4 to -11). And because each successive year could be his swan song, with a season like he's having to boot, Teemu Selanne should be an All-Star. Heck I would've advocated him as a captain for that reason as well.

I've gotta think they took Perry over Selanne because he's the reigning Hart/Richard Trophy winner. Either that or the goal/points lead on the Ducks. If there is an injury/backout of a forward, Teemu has to be at the top of the replacement list, though.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there's no James Neal why? He has more points than Ovechkin. He has more goals than all but four of those forwards.

And I love how four of the top vote-getters are Ottawa players. Yeah, a couple may deserve it, but if something like that happened in Pittsburgh everyone would be all like "OMG da penz fans r stuffin da ballot box dis iz unfair dey are in cahoots wit bettman i hate dem!!11!1!"

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

And there's no James Neal why? He has more points than Ovechkin. He has more goals than all but four of those forwards.

And I love how four of the top vote-getters are Ottawa players. Yeah, a couple may deserve it, but if something like that happened in Pittsburgh everyone would be all like "OMG da penz fans r stuffin da ballot box dis iz unfair dey are in cahoots wit bettman i hate dem!!11!1!"

It's a simple marketing move. More fans want and will pay to see Ovechkin at the ASG than James Neal. However, based on their performances to date, I agree that Ovechkin doesn't deserve to be there.

Is there really any perfect All Star system? Every team has at least one guy playing in the game. There will always be a few, or in the NHL's case a lot of snubs. That's why this 'Draft' crap is a terrible way of doing it. Go back to West vs. East or North America vs. the World. Gives you a bigger pool of players.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

It's a travesty that Lidstom and Selanne are not All-Stars - they should replace Giroux and Timonen. For that matter, Matt Read and Sean Couturier have no business being on the All-Star team (why not replace with Gragnani and Enroth?)

Lidstrom requested not to be invited. Apparently that's allowed but bowing out after you've been picked isn't, or something like that.

Just saw on twitter from the Ducks' OC Register beat writer, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun and TSN's Bob McKenzie, Teemu was asked to go by the league, but politely declined because he wanted to rest and so forth. Teemu suggested Perry in his stead. So the NHL obliged. It's too bad. I understand Teemu's reasons, but he definitely deserved to go. I don't know why they don't just name the team so he gets the honor, then replace them in due time. How is declining the invite any different than being named and backing out (besides the thread of suspension)?

Apparently the same thing happened with Lidstrom as well. He was asked and declined for rest.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1. Why do people get so worked up about players not making it to an exhibition game? (Seriously, though, where the :censored: is P Bergeron?)

2. Why are people so surprised about the Senators numbers? Those have been out for at least a week. And, they aren't starters, they are the first 6 announced.

Ummm...the same thing did happen to the Pens. Gonchar broke the vote record despite not even playing one full preseason game.

Also, let's try to guess the captains. I say Iggy and Alfie. The players vote, so I'd assume they'd go with 2 well respected veterans, with one being the hometown guy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Is there really any perfect All Star system? Every team has at least one guy playing in the game. There will always be a few, or in the NHL's case a lot of snubs. That's why this 'Draft' crap is a terrible way of doing it. Go back to West vs. East or North America vs. the World. Gives you a bigger pool of players.

The Draft is terrible. I know nothing like this happens in the minor leagues, but it comes off as minor league like. It's to gimmicky.

The only way to do the ASG is East vs West, in my opinion. The Draft is silly and North America vs the World was a bad attempt to try and piggyback the general audience's fascination with Olympic hockey.

The Draft is terrible. I know nothing like this happens in the minor leagues, but it comes off as minor league like. It's to gimmicky.

The only way to do the ASG is East vs West, in my opinion. The Draft is silly and North America vs the World was a bad attempt to try and piggyback the general audience's fascination with Olympic hockey.

I guess with the NA v World, Nagano was a success, and tried to carry it over here so your right there.

I hope we see a return to the East-West format, and I think if the ratings are piss poor for the draft, which I believe was moved from Friday to Thursday this year, and how bad they will be for the game in the States which really only has College Basketball and the Pro Bowl to contend with. We could see it go back to that, these are professional hockey players that have to be picked off a fence practically, it's sad to watch.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't have a problem with 6 Senators on the team as Ottawa is the host city and truthfully they are all doing well. As far as the draft. I like it. It's different, but they should change it up a bit. Go back to east vs west, let the fans pick the starters and then the captains. Then from that have a night where the Captains choose the rest of the teams from a pool given to them from the GMs and writers. For example if Joe Thorton was the captain of the West, he'd have a pool of Western players to choose from.

It has to be gimmicky, because otherwise the NHL All-Star Game is a total afterthought relative to both the Winter Classic and the other leagues' all-star games. East versus West doesn't mean anything. Besides, it's not even East and West, it's East and Not As East. It's meaningless. Let them have some fun with it and just have it be A Bunch of Dudes Playing. I care not for determining the theoretical supremacy of one arbitrary conference over another.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't worry, PK Subban. I wouldn't want to fight Andrew Ference either.

That was cute.

Best part of the game BY FAR.

EDIT: No, actually, Cammaleri being traded mid-game was the best part of the game (but Ference-Subban was a close second).

Any guesses on where he's been traded?

spacer.png

Mike Cammelleri has been traded to the Colorado Avalanche for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko.

Really, though, I'm seeing Calgary on Twitter, but obviously, it's far from official.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived