2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

If you subtract shootout wins and loser points so that you're just looking at outright won-lost-tied, the NASCAR Division gets all shuffled. To wit:

Washington: 68 pts. (32-31-4)

Florida: 65 pts. (27-28-11)

Winnipeg: 64 pts. (28-32-8)

Tampa Bay: 63 pts. (29-33-5)

Carolina: 56 pts. (25-36-6)

Bearing this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington winds up winning the division after all. At some point, being the best team has to catch up with them in the actual standings. I think. And if not, hey, parity is magic!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but what really is "best team" in a division that horrific?

I mean, I agree, but even then, Washington is a 33-34 team on the season that could've lost all five games on their last home-stand (their only two wins were helped by late game rallies finished in OT).

I think Washington gets the credence they have based on 2008-2011 season results, which is somewhat deserved. Doesn't mean their 2012 team is really any good, at all.

That said, the three teams beneath them register at 31-35, 32-36, and 31-36. So I guess shinier turd is better than dull turd.

spacer.png

The Blue Jackets will let fans hand in their Jeff Carter jerseys and replace his name and number on the back with Johnson's. That's a pretty classy move by the organization considering these fans dished out $200 for a jersey of a player that showed no heart and was traded less than a year later.

Sucks for the people who staged the effigy burnings. (I assume there were effigy burnings)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

again, it's not a taxpayer bailout. Nobody is going to pay a dime more in taxes to keep the Blue Jackets in town.

Sure. Just don't leave your house at night in Columbus and they'll get right on that sewage line break next Tuesday. They swear they will!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Kings @ Grand Rapids Griffins tonight?

"Bro! We're totally going to Windsor tonight!"

"I know, Bro!" *fist bump*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

God, watching the Jets is so fun. It's like watching someone race a swivel chair against a bicycle and not necessarily lose. Hang in there, kiddos.

Sign spotted at the Saddledome: "Thank you Atlanta for both of our teams!" lol

The Jets making a run to squeeze in at 8th place is nice, but why can't they just accept being bad? They should just tank and get some picks!

I said that all the way through January, to be fair. They need picks/prospects so badly, but man, the home crowds and the composition of their division are really conspiring to make sure they can't sink. They can't even let themselves lose this Flames game! I've come to embrace the mediocrity.

The Jets making a run to squeeze in at 8th place is nice, but why can't they just accept being bad? They should just tank and get some picks!

Any other year I'd agree with you, but I love the idea of the Winnipeg Jets winning the Southeastern Division.

It's not "7-9 Seahawks to the Playoffs" good, but it's still good.

It can still be that kind of good.

Jets are 32-37. Panthers and Lightning are 31-36.

I honestly think Washington has enough pride left to make a run to finish with at least 41 wins, which I think will win this division, but imagine the indignity of a 37-38 win team being the #3 seed in the playoffs, surrounded by 47-50 wins teams from the northeastern region seeded 1-5 otherwise. Odds are, the three lesser-than's in the SE will end up with win totals around that.

spacer.png

Really, if any team should just tear it all down and start from scratch, it's the team the Jets just lost to. They've been a kinda-ninth-place-ish team for three years now, but apparently they're too proud to go back to square one. Is Calgary really so bereft of winter entertainment that they can't wait out a year or two of bad Flames games for the greater good? The Calgary Flames are like a game of Jenga with blocks coated in pine tar. You can pull as many pieces out as you want, the damn thing just won't topple. Alternatively,

holygrail018.jpg

A scratch? Your Dion Phaneuf's off!

Is Calgary really so bereft of winter entertainment that they can't wait out a year or two of bad Flames games for the greater good?

Last time Calgary had a couple solid years of bad games, the team damn near bankrupted and moved. Granted the Canadian dollar was at 65 cents U.S. back then, but maybe everyone's still freaked out over that and has vowed to remain pseudo-competitive since.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I stand corrected. Sign Iginla and Kiprusoff to retirement contracts and make them play the whole things out, then. Things will improve under head coach Brandon Sutter.

I'm sure the fans would still come out if the Flames went for a rebuild, but that's just not in cards with this current regime. So I just embrace it and wait to see what happens in the summer.

Also tonight's game. Easily the funnest I've been to in a while, atmosphere off the charts just like a playoff game. More importantly picked up the two points and the Bros lost. Sven Baertschi didn't look out of place, granted he played against the third line all night, but he brought something this team has lacked for many years a potential top skilled forward.

Good night it has been!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived