2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Both Redmond and Daniels called the head the principal point of contact.

Here is the rule:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head ? A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

I'm sure the non-bolded will save him from a fine or suspension.

Exactly. It was a blow to the head, but it wasn't "targeted," like the Kris Letang hit from last week. Kronwall was going to hit him square, but Voracek put himself in the vulnerable position.

Love the bitter Hawks fans who would take Kronwall on their team in a heartbeat.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blues currently lead the NHL w/ 91 points right now. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing all of you that he wasn't Ken Hitchcock.

Love the bitter Hawks fans

You and every non-blackhawks fan on this board. The glowing contempt for the franchise/it's fans isn't well-hidden. Just saying.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Love the bitter Hawks fans who would take Kronwall on their team in a heartbeat.

Who wouldn't want a hitter that is immune to suspension? :P

If you want to eliminate Kronwall's hits from the game, might as well do away with open ice checking all together.

If you want to eliminate Kronwall's hits from the game, might as well do away with open ice checking all together.

All I want is for the rule to be applied equally to all players (yes, that means Maple Leafs too).

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

You and every non-blackhawks fan on this board. The glowing contempt for the franchise/it's fans isn't well-hidden. Just saying.

Thank you for completely missing the point of what I was trying to say.

Thank you for completely missing the point of what I was trying to say.

Anytime!

I always picture Kronwall in the locker room watching replays of his dirty hits and how they just escape violating NHL rules, and doing the following:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

All I want is for the rule to be applied equally to all players (yes, that means Maple Leafs too).

But the ruling has been been clearly set from the previous incidents, that a player skating with the puck and his head down has put himself into a vulnerable position (or as the law states, the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable).

The Blues currently lead the NHL w/ 91 points right now. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing all of you that he wasn't Ken Hitchcock.

If the season ended today, they would be the winners of the Presidents Trophy, which is absolutely amazing considering the fact that they don't even have a top 30 scorer on their roster. Gotta thank their goalies for that. Watch out for them in the playoffs, Halak can win a series all by himself. Now that the Habs are close to last, that infamous trade from 2 years ago has brought back a bitter taste in the mouths of Canadiens fans.

Flames hang on and win, despite leaky defense all night against a not so good team. No help tonight, but here's hoping the Oilers can pull one out of their a*s in the shark tank.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

*Looks around*

Aw, :censored: it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7QWknxeFc&feature=player_embedded#!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the season ended today, they would be the winners of the Presidents Trophy, which is absolutely amazing considering the fact that they don't even have a top 30 scorer on their roster. Gotta thank their goalies for that.

Or that they clog the neutral zone like Hitchcock clogs his arteries. Numerous teams have reaped great rewards from the cessation of obstruction fouls; the Blues have just been the best at it. Goal scoring around the league is on pace to be down like 200 goals from last year! That's not because Brian Elliott is suddenly really good at goaltending.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the season ended today, they would be the winners of the Presidents Trophy, which is absolutely amazing considering the fact that they don't even have a top 30 scorer on their roster. Gotta thank their goalies for that. Watch out for them in the playoffs, Halak can win a series all by himself. Now that the Habs are close to last, that infamous trade from 2 years ago has brought back a bitter taste in the mouths of Canadiens fans.

Not so fast. The Rangers also have 91 points, and have played two fewer games. They both have 42 wins and 39 non-SO wins to 38 non-SO wins of the Blues.

NHLMar612.png

Also, note the Atlantic & Central make up 8 of the 10 best teams point-wise as of the close of play on March 6. Unreal.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

If the season ended today, they would be the winners of the Presidents Trophy, which is absolutely amazing considering the fact that they don't even have a top 30 scorer on their roster. Gotta thank their goalies for that.

Or that they clog the neutral zone like Hitchcock clogs his arteries. Numerous teams have reaped great rewards from the cessation of obstruction fouls; the Blues have just been the best at it. Goal scoring around the league is on pace to be down like 200 goals from last year! That's not because Brian Elliott is suddenly really good at goaltending.

Maybe not, but it probably helps. Maybe that's why they are taking advantage this year, because last year was tougher.

Of course... any team that wins by playing D is simply obstructing all the time.

And for your next whine...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

My take on the Kronwall hit.

First off, the NHL has changed the definition of "target." While you and I and the rest of the world know that target inherently means with intent, the NHL has stated that they define target as "intentional or reckless." So There's really know way around it. By the NHL's definition, this was a targeted hit that made the head the principle point of contact.

Beyond that, hockey is changing. This is a major safety issue. Yes, Voracek put himself in a vulnerable position. DOESN'T MATTER. The onus is on the defending player to not hit his head. If Voracek was leaning forward with his head down (and he was, but none of it was sudden), then it becomes Kronwall's responsibility to find another way to separate him from the puck.

Athletes are developing all sorts of problems from concussions and professional sports are finally starting to crack down on it. They know they must be removed for the game as much as possible. And if it means taking out some of the macho-ness, that's just how it is. And if it means eliminating some hits that were once deemed totally legal, that's just how it is.

These hits are DANGEROUS. Players are responsible for their actions, and you simply cannot lineup a hit like that.

Now, unfortunately players are not actually held responsible for their actions in any consistent manner, so it's ridiculous hard to figure out what the league is deeming legal/illegal and what's better and worse than others.

But we do know that they say this sort of hit is illegal, and rightfully so. And we do know that SOME players have been suspended for it.

Of course... any team that wins by playing D is simply obstructing all the time.

And for your next whine...

I've been watching Oilers-Sharks tonight, and they've been talking about what a bummer it is that the Oilers have the league's best power play now that the pendulum has come all the way back from 2005-06 with regard to unfettered obstruction. If it's just whining, at least I'm not alone!

And as always, my real anger is directed at the Blackhawks for building a finesse team in what's no longer a finesse league. I guess I get the moral victory of "my guys don't run a trap," but it sucks as far as winning games goes.

then it becomes Kronwall's responsibility to find another way to separate him from the puck.

But all Kronwall really knows how to do is line a guy up along the boards, hit him in the head, and then get on all fours with his ass in the air so no one can hit him back. If he weren't a Red Wing and a Swede, he'd be seen as what he is.

I'm fine with cutting out the sorts of headshots that knock guys like Crosby and Pronger out for years or permanently. Scott Stevens almost killed Eric Lindros, all we got was "blah blah gotta keep your head up out there they teach ya that in midget," and I hate Eric Lindros.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived