NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

I hope the move the Kings to Vegas I want to see some team have the balls to go to Vegas and I hope the A's move to Sac Town and have success there and laugh at the Mal-dofuses.

See I have always thought a team in Las Vegas would work even with the gambling. I mean the Las Vegas 51's haven't had any trouble. I also think a basketball team would work especially in a basketball rich city.

The Las Vegas 51's are on the verge of moving. And it's not just the gambling that's been a concern for leagues (though it's a big one), it's also the small market, small media market size, the off hours population, and the fact Vegas has been hit even harder than most cities by the recession. Not to mention every plan they've had to build an arena there so far has failed to materialize.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Las Vegas really considered a small market?

With only 1.9 million people in the whole metro area and the 43rd media market by size in the US... yes. Las Vegas is a very small market.

• 3 weeks later...

And then there were two:

http://www.bellevuer.../163792826.html

Wayne Gretzky, who was seen at a Seattle Mariners game Wednesday, took a meeting with Bellevue officials to discuss the possibility of a NHL arena in the city, according to KJR radio's Dave "Softy" Mahler.

Doesn't this make it now at least THREE mythical Seattle arena plans?

1- Chris Hansen's plan

2- The Port of Seattle plan

3- This Bellevue "plan"

4- Any plan with the Key Arena site.

I hope any hockey team is called the Seattle Metropolitans

As much of an advocate for honoring previous teams (especially one that won the first Stanley Cup), the name sounds way too 1910s. It would have to be abbreviated to either Mets, which wouldn't work for obvious reasons; or Metros, and that just doesn't ring. Someone here did a solid Seattle Sea Lions concept a while back.

sig.png

And then there were two:

http://www.bellevuereporter.com/news/163792826.html

Wayne Gretzky, who was seen at a Seattle Mariners game Wednesday, took a meeting with Bellevue officials to discuss the possibility of a NHL arena in the city, according to KJR radio's Dave "Softy" Mahler.

I think NBA back to the Puget Sound is basically a given at this point, but people with wealth are probably dubious that the Seattle process will let an arena get through. It will be a real shame if Seattle do-nothings force the arena to the suburbs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And then there were two:

I think NBA back to the Puget Sound is basically a given at this point, but people with wealth are probably dubious that the Seattle process will let an arena get through. It will be a real shame if Seattle do-nothings force the arena to the suburbs.

Although, depending on where it is sited in Bellevue, it may be the next best place for an arena. East Link should be complete by 2023. By then, it will have the same light rail connections that the SODO arena would. It's certainly better than putting it in Renton like they wanted to (and, I believe, is where the Seahawks ended up moving). Seattle Center is a non-starter for a location.

Speaking of transit, if they really want to make the SODO arena work, they are going to need some sort of late evening service on Sounder. If that happens, then the whole thing can be a success.

As much of an advocate for honoring previous teams (especially one that won the first Stanley Cup), the name sounds way too 1910s. It would have to be abbreviated to either Mets, which wouldn't work for obvious reasons; or Metros, and that just doesn't ring. Someone here did a solid Seattle Sea Lions concept a while back.

I presume the obvious reason being "why the hell would anyone even want the chance that someone mistakes them for the New York Mets" and not any possible trademark issue, yes?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I presume the obvious reason being "why the hell would anyone even want the chance that someone mistakes them for the New York Mets" and not any possible trademark issue, yes?

Other teams have same-name counterparts in other leagues (Panthers, Giants, etc.), so why couldn't we have two "Mets"?

I like the name of Seattle's WHL team, the Thunderbirds. I think that could work in the NHL.

With only 1.9 million people in the whole metro area and the 43rd media market by size in the US... yes. Las Vegas is a very small market.

Sacramento only has 1,400,000. That's an extra 500,000 people in Vegas.

In fact, Vegas is bigger than a lot of metro areas, including Milwaukee, Winnipeg, etc. I still don't think Vegas would work with all of the financial problems, entertainment competitors, gambling, and the type of town it is, but it's not that small.

In fact, Vegas is bigger than a lot of metro areas, including Milwaukee, Winnipeg, etc. I still don't think Vegas would work with all of the financial problems, entertainment competitors, gambling, and the type of town it is, but it's not that small.

Sacramento's metro population is 2.5 million actually, you are counting the urban population. Vegas' metro is 1.9 as you mentioned so Sacramento does have a bigger market.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Sacramento's metro population is 2.5 million actually, you are counting the urban population. Vegas' metro is 1.9 as you mentioned so Sacramento does have a bigger market.

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

Plus you also have to consider media market in this day and age which is arguably even more important that actual market size. And in this case the disparity is even worse. Sacramento is the 20th largest media market in the US. Vegas is way down at number 42 below such places as Birmingham and Kalamazoo. Add in Vegas' financial issues and inherent market issues being "Vegas" and it's not conducive to a good sports atmosphere for any team. Which is why no league has seriously considered it.

And then there were two:

Although, depending on where it is sited in Bellevue, it may be the next best place for an arena. East Link should be complete by 2023. By then, it will have the same light rail connections that the SODO arena would. It's certainly better than putting it in Renton like they wanted to (and, I believe, is where the Seahawks ended up moving). Seattle Center is a non-starter for a location.

Speaking of transit, if they really want to make the SODO arena work, they are going to need some sort of late evening service on Sounder. If that happens, then the whole thing can be a success.

The "Stadium" station on Link is a kind of a joke, as getting off at the ID is generally faster -- certainly for Century Link games. It'd probably be about half a mile from Stadium to a SODO arena, which isn't terrible.

An arena in Bellevue could actually be a good thing if Seattle ever went after an Olympics bid. Once Link is built out and a new basketball arena is open, you've got a pretty could regional case for global athletics. And not having all of the event locations bunched up in a row like the SODO location would have them might actually be a good thing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And then there were two:

The "Stadium" station on Link is a kind of a joke, as getting off at the ID is generally faster -- certainly for Century Link games. It'd probably be about half a mile from Stadium to a SODO arena, which isn't terrible.

An arena in Bellevue could actually be a good thing if Seattle ever went after an Olympics bid. Once Link is built out and a new basketball arena is open, you've got a pretty could regional case for global athletics. And not having all of the event locations bunched up in a row like the SODO location would have them might actually be a good thing.

Indeed. And if Bellevue happens, perhaps someone steps up and maintains Key Arena to current condition. Good enough for NHL or NBA? Absolutely not, but perfect for WNBA, Seattle U basketball, Rat City Rollergirls, etc. And would make a great handball or badminton or volleyball Olympic venue.

I'm sure it was pre-DG arrival in Seattle but the 1990 Goodwill Games were held here and, at least as far as venues went, was a pretty solid success. Only thing missing would be a track as Husky Stadium won't have one anymore.

Back to SODO, Stadium station wouldn't be so bad if the Weller Street overpass didn't exist. Stadium is a much better choice for Mariner games, however. It's too bad that the SODO station itself isn't a little bit further north although there is precedent around the country for stations only open during events. Maybe if we had the money, we could stick one in at Holgate and have Link stop there only after events at the new arena.

• 1 month later...

Just saw it on the local news a bit ago. The deal is finally done. And the timing seems right with the Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Coyotes situations simultaneously imploding (albeit in extreme slow motion). I am allowing myself to be optimistic about this.

Seattle Times article posted just an hour ago

The hardest part of this comeback quest is all but over now. The Seattle City Council has reached an agreement with Hansen on his $490 million arena plan. And for once, the city's annoying affinity for process, debate and universal pacification appears to have resulted in a digestible situation for Hansen, the Port of Seattle and all businesses concerned with how even more Sodo congestion will affect their bottom line.
nhl94vansigpng.png

All that's left to do is put those ridiculous Jamison rumors to rest and then we can figure out if the Coyotes will move to Quebec City or Seattle.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived