NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

I wonder if the construction bonds for Jobing.com Arena were paid for by Arab oil sheikhs who will declare jihad on us if their investment goes bad, and that's why everyone has been so scared to let the Coyotes leave.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the construction bonds for Jobing.com Arena were paid for by Arab oil sheikhs who will declare jihad on us if their investment goes bad, and that's why everyone has been so scared to let the Coyotes leave.

Nah, just drug cartels.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a relatively new hockey fan, at this point, I'm rooting for the NHL to go under and a new hockey league with competent leadership to take its place so I can actually follow the sport. This is ridiculous.

Wouldn't be the first time. The NHL itself was formed when the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Quebec Bulldogs, and Ottawa Senators ditched the NHA.

It would be interesting to see a North American hockey "premier league."

Anyway more on why expansion is a terrible, terrible idea.

Quebec City and Seattle currently represent lifelines for the NHL. The Coyotes' failings are well documented at this point, but there's trouble elsewhere. The Blue Jackets are in a questionable financial state, the Devils' owner can't seem to pay off his debts, and the Islanders still don't have a permanent solution to their arena troubles. Dallas just got a new owner after a year of bankruptcy and league management, and the Predators were just barely making a profit, and that was before they had to pay Shea Weber $110 million. Add the lockout on top of all of this. You have these teams with very uncertain futures in their current market. You'd think the NHL would want to keep the Quebec City and Seattle lifelines open.

Expansion cuts these lifelines off (in addition to adding two more teams to a league that can't handle the thirty it has). What's the league going to do when Quebec City and Seattle have teams and the city of Glendale either goes bankrupt or says "enough is enough"? Folding the Coyotes will look worse in 2015 from a PR perspective then simply moving them to Canada would have looked in 2012.

Thank you for providing the completely factual rebuttal to the asinine "Coyotes have to stay because expanding to QC and Seattle makes more money" defense.

I don't think it's an asinine defense as much as an attempt to predict the backwards thinking of the NHL. Take the quick money and deal with more problem down the road. That's what got us up to 30 teams to begin with.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No, there are plenty of people saying that Quebec should get an expansion team so that we don't lose that sweet, sweet national footprint -- you know, the one that never gets used because NBC only shows the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, and Penguins. But think about 15 years from now!

Go to HF Boards if you ever want to experience the feeling of going insane.

*Posts "The List"*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know this is a REEL LINE MINT thought, but would the NHL benefit from drastic retraction? IceCap has a pretty scary list of unsustainable teams and I can't see how that league plans to exist in 30 years if they continue as is.

Each sports league has it's own issues, but the yearly question of whether or not NHL hockey will actually happen is embarrassing.

I guess I just don't understand what the NHL's goals are. A pro sports league should endeavor to make money while also expanding interest for its sport and ensuring competitive balance. What does the NHL think it's doing?

I know this is a REEL LINE MINT thought, but would the NHL benefit from drastic retraction? IceCap has a pretty scary list of unsustainable teams and I can't see how that league plans to exist in 30 years if they continue as is.

Each sports league has it's own issues, but the yearly question of whether or not NHL hockey will actually happen is embarrassing.

I guess I just don't understand what the NHL's goals are. A pro sports league should endeavor to make money while also expanding interest for its sport and ensuring competitive balance. What does the NHL think it's doing?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wonder if there will be provisions for contraction in the next cba - whenever that is.

I also wonder if they could "expand" by two teams to collect the expansion fee, while contracting several other teams in order to sustain operations. It might seem logical to move Phoenix and Nashville (or whoever), but maybe it makes more sense to just get rid of them and expand

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Go to HF Boards if you ever want to experience the feeling of going insane.

*Posts "The List"*

:)

I also wonder if they could "expand" by two teams to collect the expansion fee, while contracting several other teams in order to sustain operations.

I might be in favor of contracting and dispersing the Coyotes and then expanding to create the Nordiques. It would be the only way to get the stank out.

Archived