Which MLB cap style do you prefer.....

johnnysama

Not too long ago, Paul Lukas of Uni Watch made a column about how some people prefer New Era's MLB BP caps over the standard-issue on-field models. Reasons have ranged from them having a lower crown (and some saying the 5950s look boxy), their flex-fit aspect (side-note: I have noticed sizing discrepancies in the 5950s.... in other words, some 7 3/8 caps are not created equal), and how the BP cap has breathable fabric, ideal for those hot summer days.

Now, I ask ya this: Which cap do you prefer? I staunchly prefer the 5950s. Call me a traditionalist in this aspect, but despite the aforementioned sizing discrepancies, I don't mind the so-called 'boxiness' of the 5950s. They just look great. And, since 2007, when I run/walk around for long periods of time wearing them, the sweatband of my caps remain dry to the touch, where in the past, it would be damp, and my sweat stains would show on the underbill.

Your turn, folks.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually just bought a new phillies bp hat the other day, my old one definitely served me well the past 5 years.dscn5185p.jpg

Old one got really loose, but I think my hat size is goin don a bit too since Ive been losin weight since jan 27th (43 pounds today :) )

The old bp hat was a large-extra large

the new one is a medium-large.

I do like the 5950 as well, Id say I like both equally, even tho I will probably wear the bp hat more since I like that fit more. Heh I guess my answer would be the bp hat.

Personally I love the quality and structure of a 59Fifty on-field compared to a 39Thirty practice hat. I find the 59Fifty's way more durable and comfortable. I usually curve the lids on my hat somewhat close to what a 39Thirty would be curved like and it stays just fine. I find 39Thirty's not very durable and also don't fit very comfortably. Oh and I love the higher crowns (boxiness) on the 59Fifty's.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I like the 5950 for its looks. I think its boxiness is really overblown by a lot of people, it's really not that bad (unless it's Chinese-made, in which case the boxiness does tend to be more apparent). As for the performance aspect, BP caps are my favorite. Sure, the newest 5950s take sweat much better than their predecessors and do stay pretty dry. But the lightweight, breathable BP caps are incredibly comfortable, as silly as some of them look with that stupid piping. So overall, I like the 5950s for looks and BPs for performance.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

59Fifty in a landslide. Flat brim, better shape, more comfortable for me, and there isn't any of that ugly piping.

I did like this style of BP cap, though:

-23031304102875460.jpg

I have an Expos cap in that style. Can't wear it, though, way too small for me. I think it was an impulse buy on my part several years ago.

spacer.png

On 3/4/2012 at 9:47 PM, Lights Out said:

59Fifty in a landslide. Flat brim, better shape, more comfortable for me, and there isn't any of that ugly piping.

I did like this style of BP cap, though:

I loved that style. Still have a Twins one as my primary Twins cap.

I prefer 5950, because I prefer "game" to BP, but I think that's rooted in my traditionalism.

If I was not OCD about it (like so many on this board), I may choose BP...I do like the lower profile. My first New Era authentic (WAY back in the day) made me look like a chef. At that time, I loved the Sports Specialties cap. New Era ("Diamond Collection") were the "onfield", but Sports Specialties looked roughly the same (save for a lag period after the introduction of the MLB logo on back). I still have a couple Sports Specialties caps, and they were hands down my favorite baseball cap of all time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I actually just bought a new phillies bp hat the other day, my old one definitely served me well the past 5 years.dscn5185p.jpg

Old one got really loose, but I think my hat size is goin don a bit too since Ive been losin weight since jan 27th (43 pounds today :) )

The old bp hat was a large-extra large

the new one is a medium-large.

I do like the 5950 as well, Id say I like both equally, even tho I will probably wear the bp hat more since I like that fit more. Heh I guess my answer would be the bp hat.

your old bp cap looks exactly like mine, if i didn't know better i'd swear you stole it out of my cloest lol. i do like the flex fit but i don't like the new bp cap style the raised lines on the brim look awkward and the back around the mlb logo looks awful IMO.

on a related note congratulations of loosing all that weight! i just lost 25 myself. looking at dropping another 15 over the next few months and maybe 30 by the end of the year. keep up the good work and good luck staying away from the cheesesteaks. ^_^

21dh5qp.png

I'm probably one of the few who prefer the 3930, for the reasons stated in the OP: for me, I prefer the low crown look, and I just plain find them more comfortable because they stretch a little.

side-note: I have noticed sizing discrepancies in the 5950s.... in other words, some 7 3/8 caps are not created equal), and how the BP cap has breathable fabric, ideal for those hot summer days.

I usually wear 7 1/8 but I have a 7 that fits, and I've found some 7 1/8 caps are actually too tight. Generally Chinese made caps are larger than American made hats, but other than that it's pretty random.

I find the 39Thirty (including BP caps) to be a little more comfortable, but I prefer the overall look of a 59Fifty. In my opinion, the best cap is a broken in American made polyester 59Fifty. Unfortunately it's not usually easy to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone think they should make 3930 BP style caps, but in teams' normal game design as an alternative? Id love a plain red 3930, with no piping and a white Phillies P

Yes, absolutely. BP caps have a bunch of stupid piping, as everyone knows. If they just made them in the normal game designs, I'd be more willing to buy one. I'd still prefer a 59fifty, but still.

spacer.png

I really like my Low-Crown (Tigers) 5950. I just don't look good in the regular 5950 as it sits too high on my head. I'm a low crown guy.

As for the 3930's, they are very comfortable, but I have not cared for the past two styles (the "ear flap" look and the current "piping" look).

To be honest, I usually wear my Twins Enterprises/47 Brand fitted "Franchise" caps. Sure they fade quick, but they are super comfortable.

Archived