Which MLB cap style do you prefer.....

johnnysama

I prefer the 59Fifty. The 39Thirty's are either too big or too small for my size head (7 1/4). I own 3 San Francisco Giants on field hats and they all fit differently. My 2010 World Series Patch hat fits me a little big, my Orange Billed hat fits a little too small, and my Gold SF hat fits just right. I wish there was more consistency with how the hats fit. Also I am one of the few people who prefer the newer 59Fifty's that are made of polyester. They keep their look a lot longer and they seem to fit better on my head than the wool 59Fifty's.

raiders-2.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think they should make 3930 BP style caps, but in teams' normal game design as an alternative? Id love a plain red 3930, with no piping and a white Phillies P

Yes, absolutely. BP caps have a bunch of stupid piping, as everyone knows. If they just made them in the normal game designs, I'd be more willing to buy one. I'd still prefer a 59fifty, but still.

Kenny Rogers tried it

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/061023

Go A's!

I hate the feel of the 59FIFTY on my head. I have a 7 3/8 2008 Blue Jays 59FIFTY and a 7 1/2 2012 Blue Jays 59FIFTY. The 2008 one gives me headaches because it's so tight, but the 2012 one practically surrounds my head. I dunno... I'm wearing the 2012 one right now and it's not too bad, I guess. (I barely wear it because it's been autographed).

I hear the 39THIRTY is way more comfortable, but I hate the BP piping. It looks awful. So, 59FIFTY because of that alone.

And yes, I curve the brim. I hate flat brims, and I hate it when the stickers are left on, too.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

I would consider owning a 3930 if not for the piping. I would've owned one of the mesh 5950s from 99-02 had I not been a broke HS kid when they came out...and they had no 8's when I finally got around to looking for one. I've tried on a couple 3930s, though not recently, and though I found em easy on the head comfortwise, I didn't care for the first one's color (why the Cubs chose navy for those caps, I will never know), or the second one's dumb earflaps. I'm rather indifferent either way, though most of my caps are 5950s or fitted.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i prefer 59fifty.

has anyone had this problem? with my mets '10-'11 BP cap, i got caught in the rain at osceola county stadium for a spring training game against the astros. i had never worn the hat before the trip, and when it got wet, it got these terrible white (looks like sweat stains) lines on the underbrim. it's still wearable, it just always bugged me that the underbrim got so messed up essentially the first day i wore it.

sig2024.png

i prefer 59fifty.

has anyone had this problem? with my mets '10-'11 BP cap, i got caught in the rain at osceola county stadium for a spring training game against the astros. i had never worn the hat before the trip, and when it got wet, it got these terrible white (looks like sweat stains) lines on the underbrim. it's still wearable, it just always bugged me that the underbrim got so messed up essentially the first day i wore it.

I've seen it happen, but mostly with sweat. Spray it with something called totally awesome, put in the dishwasher, and let ti run.

I've gotten the sweat out 1k times, especially on the 59/50's.

I prefer the 59/50's mostly because they seem to take a beating, can get filthy and still come out like new. I love finding them at goodwill and the like because i know exactly how to clean them.

I spray them with totally awesome (found at dollar trees), place in the dishwasher after some light scrubbing, and then dry it with plastic bags under the crown to keep it's shape.

Friggin Awesome. Seriously.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

59fifty

Though I too have noticed the sizes do vary. I have some 7 1/2 that feel loose, and then one or two that first tight. A quick stretch over the kneecap with the tighter ones before putting them on usually helps.

70389454.png

My first preference is American Needle's Cooperstown caps. They usually fit really well, they're very high quality (yeah, I know they aren't exact a lot of the time) and they don't have the flat brim that 5950s have. But since we're talking about New Era, I prefer the BP caps for the fit and comfort. I've learned to live with the awful piping.

Are the 3930s the stretch fit ones? If they are, they aren't bad but I've found that they're wildly inconsistent with their fit and look. I bought a Dodgers 3930 online a couple years ago and it looked like I had a cone on my head when I wore it. I also bought the Indians, Mets, Padres, and Angels versions of that cap back then. The Indians hat is much smaller than it's listed size but the Mets, Padres, and Angels caps all fit perfectly and still look really good. New Era needs to find a way to be consistent. It can't be that difficult.

BB52Big.jpg

My first preference is American Needle's Cooperstown caps. They usually fit really well, they're very high quality (yeah, I know they aren't exact a lot of the time) and they don't have the flat brim that 5950s have. But since we're talking about New Era, I prefer the BP caps for the fit and comfort. I've learned to live with the awful piping.

Are the 3930s the stretch fit ones? If they are, they aren't bad but I've found that they're wildly inconsistent with their fit and look. I bought a Dodgers 3930 online a couple years ago and it looked like I had a cone on my head when I wore it. I also bought the Indians, Mets, Padres, and Angels versions of that cap back then. The Indians hat is much smaller than it's listed size but the Mets, Padres, and Angels caps all fit perfectly and still look really good. New Era needs to find a way to be consistent. It can't be that difficult.

The 59/50's for the most part are hand made in the USA, the sizing does vary which is why I never buy them online unless they are super rare, and I prefer to buy them from Lids exclusively.

The 9-11 memorial ones with the US Flag on the side were made in china (ironically) and were of inferior materials i believe but were more standard and universal in sizing.

I tend to try on 7-8 Caps in store when buying one, and finding the one with the least elmer fudd looking crown and the best fit. If i can't find it that time, i just go to another lids.

One way you can get the hats to fit right is to buy one and wear it in the hot show pushing down on the crown. I've gotten many to look like the late 90's jock look that way, especially with an awesomely bent brim.

The 59/50's for the most part are hand made in the USA, the sizing does vary which is why I never buy them online unless they are super rare, and I prefer to buy them from Lids exclusively.

The 9-11 memorial ones with the US Flag on the side were made in china (ironically) and were of inferior materials i believe but were more standard and universal in sizing.

I tend to try on 7-8 Caps in store when buying one, and finding the one with the least elmer fudd looking crown and the best fit. If i can't find it that time, i just go to another lids.

One way you can get the hats to fit right is to buy one and wear it in the hot show pushing down on the crown. I've gotten many to look like the late 90's jock look that way, especially with an awesomely bent brim.

Unfortunately almost all 59Fifty caps are made in China now, and as a result feel different, have higher crowns, and fit larger. MLB on-fields are generally American made, but a lot of that production has moved to China too.

I really like my Low-Crown (Tigers) 5950. I just don't look good in the regular 5950 as it sits too high on my head. I'm a low crown guy.

As for the 3930's, they are very comfortable, but I have not cared for the past two styles (the "ear flap" look and the current "piping" look).

To be honest, I usually wear my Twins Enterprises/47 Brand fitted "Franchise" caps. Sure they fade quick, but they are super comfortable.

Ditto. I love my low crown 5950 [the regular 5950 high crowns are way too tall for my head], but they're so hard to find, even online [since my size seems to sell out like hotcakes]. That being said, I also like the fit of the BP caps [i'd go for one of those '47-brand slouch fit/unstructured hats, but they don't really flatter my head shape haha], but I don't like the design elements with all that piping. Like another poster said, if they could just use the team's regular cap design on a BP cap, that would be awesome.

Unfortunately almost all 59Fifty caps are made in China now, and as a result feel different, have higher crowns, and fit larger. MLB on-fields are generally American made, but a lot of that production has moved to China too.

Incorrect, all are made in USA, and the special ones (Flags, ASG, WS) that they need in a hurry are overseas I believe. Almost all of my recent ones are "Hecho en EEUU" or Made in USA

Incorrect, all are made in USA, and the special ones (Flags, ASG, WS) that they need in a hurry are overseas I believe. Almost all of my recent ones are "Hecho en EEUU" or Made in USA

No. A metric :censored:ton are manufactured in China. You've just been lucky with the ones you've picked up.

spacer.png

eo6B7.jpg

Like RedSox44 said, you're pretty lucky if you can find American made caps.

59Fifty in a landslide. Flat brim, better shape, more comfortable for me, and there isn't any of that ugly piping.

I did like this style of BP cap, though:

-23031304102875460.jpg

I love this cap. I used to wear a Red Sox one for ball practice in the early 2000s.

Archived