Houston Astros Flashback Fridays

shaydre1019

I was at MMP yesterday for the day game vs the Dodgers and almost purchased the "shooting star" jersey from the team store, myself. It was around $230 and looked terrific in person. It was more of a cream colored jersey than white. The navy blue and orange just looked great against it.

I found it interesting that, for the throwbacks, the decision was made to use white for the Colt 45's and cream for the Astros shooting stars, when they were both, by all accounts, normal "white" flannel (which is what cream is supposed to replicate).

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jim crane will do hatever it takes to please the fans. And that means hes not in the position to do anything other than what the fans want.

I wonder if they're using the sales of the throwbacks as an indicator of which direction they're going??

The team store is about 50/50 navy/orange vs black/brick merchandise. Just being in there, you can feel like they are going to toss the current set out the door the day the regular season ends.

That, and former Astro Larry Dierker said during the Saturday game opening weekend that he saw some of the mock-ups for the new uniforms. He didn't say what it looked like because the game interrupted the conversation.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the following in the Uni Watch Ticker:

"Astros news from Rob Montenegro, who writes: ?Larry Dierker was in the booth with the ?Stros announcers in the top of the 2nd inning during Friday?s game against the Dodgers. He was wearing a jersey like this one and then said something like, ?If you like this uniform I?m wearing, then I?ve got good news about next year?? Then he caught himself and said he shouldn?t be talking about it."

I was at the game on Friday, so I missed the TV exchange, but I saw Dierker. He wore the shooting star jersey to toss out the first pitch. The idea that they are re-incarnating the shooting star jersey is a whole lot better than re-incarnating the tequila sunrise set. I hope the people who worked on the Blue Jays re-imagining are involved.

Some things will definitely need to be tweaked (the sleeve patch prominently features a park they no longer play in), but there is a lot to work with there.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

"Astros news from Rob Montenegro, who writes: "Larry Dierker was in the booth with the 'Stros announcers in the top of the 2nd inning during Friday's game against the Dodgers. He was wearing a jersey like this one and then said something like, 'If you like this uniform I'm wearing, then I've got good news about next year?' Then he caught himself and said he shouldn't be talking about it."

I was at the game on Friday, so I missed the TV exchange, but I saw Dierker. He wore the shooting star jersey to toss out the first pitch. The idea that they are re-incarnating the shooting star jersey is a whole lot better than re-incarnating the tequila sunrise set. I hope the people who worked on the Blue Jays re-imagining are involved.

Some things will definitely need to be tweaked (the sleeve patch prominently features a park they no longer play in), but there is a lot to work with there.

Awesome news from Dierker.

As for the sleeve patch, how about the shooting star rising out of MMP with the roof open? Or even stick with the Texas outline with a star, as long as the star is updated to that in the new logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

"Astros news from Rob Montenegro, who writes: "Larry Dierker was in the booth with the 'Stros announcers in the top of the 2nd inning during Friday's game against the Dodgers. He was wearing a jersey like this one and then said something like, 'If you like this uniform I'm wearing, then I've got good news about next year?' Then he caught himself and said he shouldn't be talking about it."

Awesome news from Dierker.

As for the sleeve patch, how about the shooting star rising out of MMP with the roof open? Or even stick with the Texas outline with a star, as long as the star is updated to that in the new logo.

LOVE the idea of the Texas outline being used. The current sleeve patch is also the BP hat logo, and I have only seen it once on a non-BP hat (on a 47 Brand hat). If they took the TX outline and incorporated the new star, it would look great.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I am holding in my hands a Colts jersey. White doubleknits, chain-stitched logo, with the pistol. I purchased it at the team store at Minute Maid Park. Their team blogger said there is no plan to sell them online, and the supply they have in store is all they are planning on having. Today was the first day they were on sale (they'll be worn tonight), so I had to get one.

You lucky son of a gun. (bad pun).

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

I will add that, while I would love an updated version of the shooting star jerseys, the home jerseys need to be white, not cream. The cream thing was unique when the Giants did it, but since then it has become played out. Unless teams are wearing throwbacks (like the Twins and even Mets pinstripes), the home jerseys should pretty much always be white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I will add that, while I would love an updated version of the shooting star jerseys, the home jerseys need to be white, not cream. The cream thing was unique when the Giants did it, but since then it has become played out. Unless teams are wearing throwbacks (like the Twins and even Mets pinstripes), the home jerseys should pretty much always be white.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were white. They've worn a white doubleknit version of the shooting stars (the switch to DK happened when they wore that, just before they switched to the rainbows), and the Colt 45's throwbacks are white even though they are replicating a wool jersey. Maybe Crane is thinking the same thing about the white looking better.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It doesn't matter to me whether or not the new unis are white or cream. All they need to do is ditch the train motif and the pointless pinstripes (PSFPSS anyone?), and bring back the orange and navy, and the Astros will looks like the Astros once again.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Yeah i really dislike the pinstripes and have wanted them to wear the all whites and reds full time.

And the stros wore cream aways back in the day did they not?? Kinda weird..kinda cool.

Man i'm really excited to see what they come up with :)

• 2 weeks later...

So i was watching some astros highlights and they were wearing the white alts today, Wenesday. Kinda odd, maybe they'll takeover the pinstripes this year, that would be great.

The Astros typically wear their all white alt at home for midweek day games and Saturdays. Sadly the pinstripes aren't disappearing this season.

The 60's shooting stars are up next (the ones that Dierker said look like the early design for the new 2013's). On MLB Shop, the photoshopped image is of a white jersey, but Alyson Footer tweeted out a pic of the cream version they wore last season. I can't imagine the Astros going to all the trouble of redoing the throwbacks that they used last season. That is, unless Crane REALLY dislikes cream.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Cardinals_Astros_Baseball_263785_game.jpgCardinals_Astros_Baseball_263773_game.jpgCardinals_Astros_Baseball_263777_game.jpg

Oh man. Even got the stars on the stirrups! Just beautiful.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

It's so nice to see the Astros doing this throwback promotion so well. Hopefully next year's look is a cleaned-up revision of what they wore tonight.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Those shooting star uniforms are really sweet.

If the Astros do go to those unis for next year, I hope they keep the shooting star look on the road uniforms, unlike what they did before. Just have Houston on the front instead of Astros.

I've never understood the love for those shooting-star uniforms. They look really corny (not to mention sloppy). Plus the road uniform from that era didn't even come close to matching even though it would have been relatively easy to do so.

As far as "shooting star" Astros jerseys go, nothing tops these:

nl_1996_houston.gif

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I've never understood the love for those shooting-star uniforms. They look really corny (not to mention sloppy). Plus the road uniform from that era didn't even come close to matching even though it would have been relatively easy to do so.

As far as "shooting star" Astros jerseys go, nothing tops these:

nl_1996_houston.gif

>>>>>>

Oh I disagree to the fullest.

The ones worn yesterday are USDA Prime!!!

Cardinals_Astros_Baseball_263785_game.jpgCardinals_Astros_Baseball_263773_game.jpg

Archived