Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Excuse me, I was trying to pre-empt the inevitable complaints that I was treating the whole thing like an incorrigible Blackhawks homer who didn't want his team to be punished. Besides, I was pretty much liveblogging my analysis; way to not include the next few lines where I blew up at hitting up the big markets for more money just to dump it on Nashville and Raleigh, no strings attached.

I did stop reading as soon as I quoted you; my mistake. I did not see further comments.

Honestly, please pardon me for having issues with the politically-popular, hard-to-actually-define riff of "pay their fair share", no matter the context. Perhaps a hasty retort on my part.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it so terrible that Roger Goodell needed 3/4 of the NFL owners to approve the CBA? Oh no, those rogues like the Oakland Raiders could torpedo everything!

It's terrible when the NHL has a disparity among owners that other leagues don't. I don't think it's right that MLSE, Molson, MSG, Wirtz, Chipman-Thomson, and Aquilini, the guys who make the money for this garage league, could theoretically be vetoed by the likes of Peter Karmanos, Tom Cigarran, Cliff Viner, and whichever bobo is voting on behalf of the Coyotes this year. What the hell have they ever done to earn that power except spend taxpayers' money and lose everyone else's?

Except this isn't happening at all. Who do you think is blocking revenue sharing? The minority of super rich teams. Who are the two biggest proponents of locking out the players forever until they cry uncle? Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider.

but go ahead it's one more thing for the "gary bettman is an egomaniac Bond villain out to destroy the NHL forever" file

1zgyd8w.jpg

But Bettman wants revenue sharing. Johnny No-Cash in [insert Non-Essential Market Here] wants revenue sharing. And as the proposal shows, this new form of revenue sharing, save for no longer stupidly dicking the Islanders, is terrible. No more benchmarks, no more spending requirements, just deign to merely operate and "the committee" will decide how much NESN/CSN money you get to leech.

Snider and Jacobs are being miserly assclowns (something decidedly out of character for Snyder), and yet I still trust them over a minority cabal of cash-poor hucksters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Good reduction to absurdity, but I wouldn't go lower than 28, and even then I'm not a fan of contraction. We can be in thirty places, just not these thirty.

I hate to be That Guy, but I'm not entirely certain that you've built up the requisite equity to lament when something can only be the goddamn NHL. That despair needs to come from within.

I don't have a 28-team league in mind. I said I don't want contraction. As long as there are places where the NHL is leaving good money on the table, then there's no need.

That said, I would've stopped at 28 if it were up to me (from 21, expand to San Jose in '91, Tampa and Ottawa in '92, Denver and Dallas in '93, Seattle and someplace else in '94, cease).

I don't have a 28-team league in mind. I said I don't want contraction. As long as there are places where the NHL is leaving good money on the table, then there's no need.

That said, I would've stopped at 28 if it were up to me (from 21, expand to San Jose in '91, Tampa and Ottawa in '92, Denver and Dallas in '93, Seattle and someplace else in '94, cease).

In all likelihood, if your plan had come to fruition, I believe Atlanta or Phoenix would have been that "someplace else", based on market size and 90s population growth. Kansas City probably a choice C, Milwaukee choice D.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• NHL Clubs who draft European Players obtain four (4) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. If the four-year period expires, Player will be eligible to enter the League as a Free Agent and will not be subject to re-entering the Draft.

That's up from two. Solid move. NCAAers were getting more than a two-year window as well, so now you're basically just down to major-juniors who can plausibly re-enter the draft.

Any chance this might cut down on the number of homesick Euros who decide to go home after a few months in the minors? If you're an NHL team's exclusive North American property for 4 years, might you be more willing to stick it out for a year or two playing in decaying rust belt cities, small New England towns, 20 different places ending in "-ford," and Peoria rather than returning to the non-OSHA-compliant radioactive Russian hellhole from whence you came? I can't help but think it would be different from a system in which you could go back home, wait it out, and try again in a year or two.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't really see how it would. This only concerns the time between selection and signing, not the service clock. If you really don't want to ride the bus to Glens Falls, you just won't, and most teams aren't that insistent on developing European prospects in the A, anyway (though our own Marcus Kruger could profit from a physical atmosphere).

Any chance this might cut down on the number of homesick Euros who decide to go home after a few months in the minors? If you're an NHL team's exclusive North American property for 4 years, might you be more willing to stick it out for a year or two playing in decaying rust belt cities, small New England towns, 20 different places ending in "-ford," and Peoria rather than returning to the non-OSHA-compliant radioactive Russian hellhole from whence you came? I can't help but think it would be different from a system in which you could go back home, wait it out, and try again in a year or two.

Plus, there's the added benefit of playing in organizations owned by people who just act like gangsters, rather than organizations owned by actual gangsters.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, Daryl is gonna have to play Hardball

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/10/17/edmonton-council-arena.html

"Edmonton city council has unanimously passed a motion by Coun. Dave Loken to immediately cease all downtown arena negotiations with Oilers' owner Daryl Katz."

"Although council passed the motion, Loken said council is still open to communicating with Katz — but only in person, not through letters.

"If you want to negotiate, get to the table," he said. "If you want to talk to us, we have a meeting in two weeks."

Glendale... Take notes morons.

baltimoreravens.png

Here we go. The pa is going to make 4 counter proposals to the league to see what, if anything sticks.

Edit: Bettman- "They gave us three proposals, none of which approached 50/50. I'm obviously thoroughly disappointed."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I hate the people who run this league. Gary Bettman enjoys this I think he gets a perverse pleasuyre :censored:ing the fans because they boo his whinny little ass and he can go over to Darth Sideous and say he ruined hockey forever. At which point Darth Sideous reveals his true indentity David Stern same initals. As they laugh, Stern turns to Bettman and says what about Canada, Bettman says :censored: em they ruined by dream of hockey being played on in warm weather cities and states, like New Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Mississippi and Alabama

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Bettman: "We are nowhere close."

That's it boys. Season's over. They're going to do this to us again.

Reading the NHL's reaction to the counter proposals that's my read as well. Seems the offer the NHL made was their "best" offer, and it obviously is no where close to what the PA is willing to accept. This thing is going the distance... again.

Archived