Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Maybe we'd have had more rabble if the league had doubled down on the northeast and cemented its status there instead of overextending itself into goddamn Nashville and Raleigh.

You would think that New York, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Detroit and DC would be enough. If only we had Hartford and Saskatoon. The real players in the national media.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get rid of all of them and unchain myself from the burden of having to like sports.

I just meant that the NHL should have focused on making hockey equivalent with basketball and baseball wherever possible, rather than being complacent with just sort of existing, which is sort of the feeling I get with a lot of teams. It's not so much about the footprint as it is doing something constructive with it. Their marketing efforts have lagged behind everyone else's for years. New England and New York should be just as irate over the loss of hockey as they'd be over the loss of basketball, but here we are.

Or take the Islanders. They should've been working to really supersaturate the Long Island market. Three million people, make sure as many of them are hockey fans as you can.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd get rid of all of them and unchain myself from the burden of having to like sports.

That is the truth.

As for the rest. That is a fair point. I had a hunch that was what you were getting at. That is why the Chicago question.

You may be right.

By over-extending the league's footprint where it wasn't particularly wanted, they've made the NHL a lot less relevant.

Less relevant than what? The NHL always has and always will be fourth place out of the big four in the United States

That is true. There being a team in Nashville has nothing to do with the fact that people in American hockey markets still care about football, basketball and baseball more than hockey.

They could easily end up fifth place out of five.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Rex Ryan's head is humongous.

Literally and figuratively.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but think that Gary Bettman only gave the All-Star game to Columbus this year so that in the event he had to cancel it, he wouldn't distemper a bigger, more-important NHL city.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived