Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

The fact that negotiations went past midnight tonight (in a undisclosed location!) has to be a good sign, right?

http://www.usatoday....urday/1678535/

Could be. At the same time, Gary Bettman is an evil bastard and Donald Fehr is quite stubborn, so it could have just been the two of them screaming across a table at each other without any real progress.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT'S NOT JUST GARY BETTMAN

Oh and for the people saying that Seventh-Best League Soccer is going to overtake the NHL now, please note that they, like the other four leagues, have hired Bob Batterman to disembowel their labor force.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh and for the people saying that Seventh-Best League Soccer is going to overtake the NHL now, please note that they, like the other four leagues, have hired Bob Batterman to disembowel their labor force.

What does Batterman's presence have to do with whether the MLS will overtake the NHL eventually?

What does Batterman's presence have to do with whether the MLS will overtake the NHL eventually?

Dunno, unless he's suspecting that MLS will become beset by the lockouts and labor trouble crippling the NHL.

Personally, I don't see it. MLS owners might want to break labor like anyone else, but they're a much higher caliber of owner than you see in the NHL and I doubt they'd be willing to scuttle their own ship just to score fantasy points against the players.

Dunno, unless he's suspecting that MLS will become beset by the lockouts and labor trouble crippling the NHL.

Personally, I don't see it. MLS owners might want to break labor like anyone else, but they're a much higher caliber of owner than you see in the NHL and I doubt they'd be willing to scuttle their own ship just to score fantasy points against the players.

They're businessmen though. Really that's all it takes. The NFL and NBA also have higher caliber owners and well, look what they did.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The MLS owners don't need to worry about that since they have all the negotiating power. Where are the MLS players going to go if there's a lockout? If they could get a decent wage anywhere else in the world they'd already be there.

1zgyd8w.jpg

All owners who initiate lockouts have all the negotiating power. It's a lockout.

Anyway, hard to buy the case that MLS owners are benevolent gentlemen when 1) they hired the same union-busters as the other leagues and 2) many of them are already owners in those other leagues. Judging by the way diehard hockey fans have verbally sold their players up the river because Big Daddy Jeremy Jacobs took away their crackpipe, I expect the lunatic fringe that composes MLS fandom to just start stabbing soccer players for having the audacity to think they can negotiate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

At least the MLS owners are more diligent in resolving labor disputes with their players before a season begins than the NHL is (or ever will be). Case in point: The MLS Players Union voted to strike five days before the 2010 season, however, the players and owners worked out a compromise in which said strike was averted and the season began as scheduled.

So to answer your question Gothamite, yes, I believe that the MLS owners are "benevolent gentlemen". However, my opinion might change in the event that the next round of their collective bargaining agreement discussions with the MLS Players Union devolve into an NHL-style pissing contest.

All owners who initiate lockouts have all the negotiating power. It's a lockout.

It's not only that. Keep in mind that with the exception of a handful of franchises that are valuable brand names in their own right, most NHL teams are little more than expensive hobbies for owners who have made their fortunes outside of sports. The owners simply don't have as much to lose, financially or emotionally, by scuttling a season as the players (who in most cases would lose a whole year of their pro careers), which gives them a big advantage regardless of whether it's a strike or a lockout.

And losing a season isn't even the worst-case scenario. As most of you know by now, I follow the National Lacrosse League, and in reading up on its 26 years of history I was shocked - but definitely not surprised - to learn that early in its history, the league (then called the Eagle Pro Box League) came very close to dissolving itself in the midst of a labor dispute with its players. Alas, I am unable to find a link to the article, but suffice it to say the team owners thought it preferable, either business-wise or in terms of power and control, to abandon the league altogether, and write off whatever money they had invested in it, rather than make any concessions to the players (who, needless to say, quickly caved at that point).

Of course, for the proto-NLL to push the button on itself wouldn't exactly have sent shockwaves across the North American sports landscape, then or now. Even so, if we lose the entire 2012-13 NHL season - and maybe even 2013-14 as well - and corporate sponsors, partners, suite-holders etc. start bailing on the NHL, would you put it past its owners to consider that same nuclear option, for the same reasons? I wouldn't.

CCSLC signature.png

It sucks that for the 2nd time in only 8 years, there won't be any Stanley Cup Champions crowned.

That's a lot of missed hockey in such a short time span...

Did I miss something here? I thought the NHL and NHLPA are at a "secret location to talk about the CBA". This doesn't mean that the season is officially dead - yet.

It sucks that for the 2nd time in only 8 years, there won't be any Stanley Cup Champions crowned.

Did I miss something here? I thought the NHL and NHLPA are at a "secret location to talk about the CBA". This doesn't mean that the season is officially dead - yet.

I believe! because i'm a sucker who loves his sports, but I still believe.

The sides are meeting today somewhere in New York. Meetings are good unless one of the sides storms out, but that hasn't happened yet.

Talking, even if the end result is no progress, is better than not talking at all.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived