Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

They met for 7 hours and they're meeting again tomorrow. That can't be a bad sign, can it?

Hell no. Meet and keep meeting. It's 100% more productive than sitting on your hands.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need the NHL right now I hope they get it done.

I agree, having NHL withdrawl sucks. I hope they get something done.

Me too. I have one silver lining for me. The cable hockey package should be cheaper.

I miss going to Devils games

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Me too. I have one silver lining for me. The cable hockey package should be cheaper.

Can't you see the Devils still playing in the Senate and at the White House?? :P

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

It's a 150 mile drive, but the Albany Devils aren't completely out of reach considering most games are on weekends.

Looks like this will get done. That kind of pisses me off, too. Why did everyone wait so long? Seems like this could have been done months ago. I don't know...

Well, you've got greedy owners and a jackass commissioner dead set on hurting the union and the union is led by a guy who won't bend under pressure. That's going to lead to trouble every time there's a labor issue and unfortunately that means the waiting game gets played.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Looks like this will get done. That kind of pisses me off, too. Why did everyone wait so long? Seems like this could have been done months ago. I don't know...

I don't get my hopes up when Gary Bettman says there's "still a lot of work to do."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/11/08/sp-nhl-lockout-negotiations-gary-bettman-donald-fehr-revenue-sharing-free-agency-arbitration.html

Well, you've got greedy owners and a jackass commissioner dead set on hurting the union and the union is led by a guy who won't bend under pressure. That's going to lead to trouble every time there's a labor issue and unfortunately that means the waiting game gets played.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am hopeful.

the waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippos

1zgyd8w.jpg

So, why did things start to have a glimmer of hope on Wednesday and Thursday, only to fall back to the familiar "both sides are still vey far apart" on Friday? Here, let Renaud Lavoie of RDS help to explain:

Tough meeting today. Talks were good this week but some say its because Jeremy Jacobs was not there...until today.

Blame Bettman all you want because he's the (rodent) face of the league, but we will not have hockey until Jeremy Jacobs gets everything he wants. He's pulled all of the low-revenue owners together into an obstructionist bloc, having convinced them that his way is the only way to keep them from losing tens of millions of dollars annually. (Of course, his way is also the way of minimal revenue sharing, so it'll leave the Nashvilles and Columbuses in the same situation 4 or 5 years down the road. He's convinced those worse-off than him to vote against their best interests to pad his own bottom line. Huh.) Jacobs is in the perfect position to do this, having a popular, profitable, and successful franchise in a market with especially ardent fans who seem much more likely to blame "those lazy rich fahks on the ice" than some guy in a suit who they never see.

All of this likely makes Jeremy Jacobs a savvy businessman, but a terrible person. Guess which one of those he cares about.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't dispute that Jacobs himself doesn't want to share revenue, but the last CBA proposal, for whatever it was worth, did allow for $200 million to be dispersed with no teams disqualified for market size or revenue shortfalls. It even left the final figures up to "the revenue sharing committee," which really meant that the Hurricanes and Coyotes would get to use Canada as their piggy bank.

What's even stranger is that this would seem to be against his own self-interest in the same way that it is for the Canadiens and Blackhawks (the former we know is pissed about the lockout, the latter we can only assume): through Delaware North, he has his tentacles into the concession sides of several teams, the Predators being one of them off the top of my head. So the same way that Molson is mad that they're not selling more Molson, shouldn't he want to get back into the business of selling marked-up hot dogs?

Jeremy Jacobs must have thanked God for every day that Bill Wirtz was alive, huh. Allowed him never to be the most odious plutocrat in the bunch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, I'm glad I have CFL playoffs, Sudbury Wolves games on TV this year (wow!), plus the Toronto Rock, and probably a few local college basketball games to go to. Alert me when a deal is signed, I say. I'll tender my response in five to seven days.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409346

Steve Fehr, special counsel to the NHL Players' Association, believes the collective bargaining agreement can be wrapped up in a hurry once the sides make a breakthrough in negotiations.

"One thing (deputy commissioner) Bill Daly and I agree upon is that when the moment is right the deal could be done very quickly," Fehr said Monday during a panel discussion at the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference. "One days, three days or whatever."

Asked later if he agreed with that assertion, Daly replied: "I hope he's right."

Representatives from the NHL and NHLPA have met seven of the last nine days, but no future talks are planned. Fehr told the panel that three issues remain to be solved: the split of money, player contract rights and who pays for the damage caused by the lockout.

Damage???? Good luck on that agreement. It feels like both sides take one step forward & one giant leap backward. :unsure:

baltimoreravens.png

Oh my god is Batterman seriously trying to get the players to pay sponsors for being locked out?

I mean, obviously salaries have to be prorated, but what else could they mean by paying for the damage?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived