The vikings' missed oppurtunity

kg54mvp1

Personally, the Vikings current uniforms bug me. They're OK, but they could be excellent with just a few tweaks.

There are so many things about them that I love (the helmet, shoulder striping, shade of purple, white jersey/purple pants combo), and so many things about them that I hate (rounded number outlines, nameplate font, Cardinals pants stripe & hip logo).

The old look is boring... and the mismatched purples between the hemet & jersey look awful. In a division with 2 other teams that have iconic classic looks that you could never ever trump (Bears & Packers), it's not a bad thing to have a modern uniform to balance it out.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old look is boring... and the mismatched purples between the hemet & jersey look awful. In a division with 2 other teams that have iconic classic looks that you could never ever trump (Bears & Packers), it's not a bad thing to have a modern uniform to balance it out.

I disagree that the old look is boring. Or at least, I think the ideas for a throwback-based uniform that those of us who are in favor of it seems to have (current helmet, matching purples, yellow outlines on numbers) wouldn't be boring at all. I completely disagree that the Vikings should wear crap just because the Packers and Bears uniforms are more iconic. There doesn't need to be any modern balance for a team that has been playing in such a tradition-steeped division, even if they are only 53 years old. That would be like arguing the Orioles should wear someting Marlins-esque because their uniforms will never be as good as the Yankees and Red Sox. To me, the current uniforms look like a Vikings-inspired roller derby team, while the throwbacks look like what the Vikings should be wearing. They just look like the Vikings to me, and my earliest memory of the Vikings is from 1993. They may not be perfect, but I think they're a lot closer to perfect than the current set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, but the Lions have a better one. :P

But, that's just the thing - the Lions don't really have modern uniforms. Other than the number font, they are pretty traditional uniforms. I mean, I much prefer the brasier stripes on the helmet and pants, and the striping and logo are new to them, but they aren't necessarily "outside the box" thinking. And I think that is a good thing. The Vikings would be better served to use that as a goal - even if they have to have a similarly crappy proprietary font (it can have little horns at the top of each number for all I care), go with a uniform which at least is in a somewhat traditional template and doesn't look far removed from what the franchise has traditionally worn.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Personally, the Vikings current uniforms bug me. They're OK, but they could be excellent with just a few tweaks.

There are so many things about them that I love (the helmet, shoulder striping, shade of purple, white jersey/purple pants combo), and so many things about them that I hate (rounded number outlines, nameplate font, Cardinals pants stripe & hip logo).

You young folk probably won't believe this, but back in my day, the Vikings were one of the premier franchises in the NFL. To me, that old look is every bit as iconic (maybe even more) as the Packers or Bears. If any division should be nothing but "traditional" uniforms, it's the NFC North. Those four teams represent the essence of the NFL to me.

BB52Big.jpg

You young folk probably won't believe this, but back in my day, the Vikings were one of the premier franchises in the NFL. To me, that old look is every bit as iconic (maybe even more) as the Packers or Bears. If any division should be nothing but "traditional" uniforms, it's the NFC North. Those four teams represent the essence of the NFL to me.

I don't know that I'd go that far (given what a poor organizations the vikes are), but it is one of those two or three divisions that seems to be most "traditional". The Vikes are the "new" team, at over 50 years. So I do agree with your sentiment that it would be OK for there to be four sets of traditional uniforms. But as it stands, there are only two.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know that I'd go that far (given what a poor organizations the vikes are), but it is one of those two or three divisions that seems to be most "traditional". The Vikes are the "new" team, at over 50 years. So I do agree with your sentiment that it would be OK for there to be four sets of traditional uniforms. But as it stands, there are only two.

Sure I can and here's why. I was referring to what I personally feel represents the essence of the NFL. To me, not everyone. Your mileage may vary. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Sure I can and here's why. I was referring to what I personally feel represents the essence of the NFL. To me, not everyone. Your mileage may vary. B)

I never said you could not. B)B)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's fair to say that their color change to midnight green was trendy and will grow old (if it hasn't already), however one could easily argue the other side of that as well.

When the Eagles wore those kelly green throwbacks a year or two ago, I decided I was ready for them to go back to that. I don't mind what they have now, but it's starting to show its age, and if the Eagles are going to remain an elite franchise, better that they look timeless.

The Vikings would look better in something old. All Minnesota teams should look classic, except the Timberwolves, because who cares.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's fair to say that their color change to midnight green was trendy and will grow old (if it hasn't already), however one could easily argue the other side of that as well.

When the Eagles wore those kelly green throwbacks a year or two ago, I decided I was ready for them to go back to that. I don't mind what they have now, but it's starting to show its age, and if the Eagles are going to remain an elite franchise, better that they look timeless.

The Vikings would look better in something old. All Minnesota teams should look classic, except the Timberwolves, because who cares.

138765415_std.jpg

Classic my ass. They have freaking furry numbers.

Viking new jerseys are a clear upgrade over their mis matched, and frankly BORING old jerseys. Do we need another team to go back to a striped extravaganza? Sure, the new look isn't perfect (especially wearing all white) but it's certainly better in many facets over any previous Viking uniform.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Something about playing in a dome just doesn't lend itself to a traditional uniform design, IMO.

I don't think the "essence of the NFL" is one team in an inflatable dome, and another team in a warehouse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Something about playing in a dome just doesn't lend itself to a traditional uniform design, IMO.

I agree with this, actually. As much as I want the Vikings to look traditional, the mandate to do so can't really come about till they're playing outdoors again, if they ever do, which I strongly feel that they should at the nearby outdoor football stadium which more or less already exists.

I don't think the "essence of the NFL" is one team in an inflatable dome, and another team in a warehouse.

In 2012, the essence of the NFL would be just playing football on a soundstage.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm as big a Vikings fan as there is in here, and I really don't mind the current uniforms. There could be some tweaks, but these aren't bad. I'd like to see them wear the purple pants on the road more, but that's me.

At the same time, if they were to do away with these uniforms, I'd like to see them go back to the ones with the TV shoulder numbers with the Viking logo on the arms. I would like to see the Viking logo quite a bit larger, and I would like to see that look on the road uniforms, as well, instead of going back to the UCLA stripes.

Archived