The vikings' missed oppurtunity

kg54mvp1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did they get rid of the stripes on the sides of the pants? If so, that's a shame.

There's really only one tweak I'd make to the new ones; otherwise, I find them quite good.

The old ones are alright, but I think I prefer the newer ones.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Are the Vikings current uniforms bad? Yes. Is that set of throwbacks bad? Yes to that as well.

Probably gonna catch some flack for this, but I hate those Vikings throwbacks. There's 2 different purples going on between the helmet & jersey, the yellow-white-yellow striping bleeds into each other and just looks bad on a modern cut uniform, the striping is inconsistent (The Packers helmet stripes and pants stripes line up, which is why it's the far superior uniform in that picture), the numbers & letters could use an outline, and wearing a gray facemask in this time is one of my personal pet peeves when it comes to football uniforms. That's just me, though.

It's a decent uniform for its era, but it would be far too outdated in today's NFL. If they could modernize it like they did the 49ers & Bills sets, then I'd be down with another nice fauxback set. But if they just brought it back as-is, it'd be one of the worst looks in the NFL, IMO.

I don't like those new jerseys at all, but the old ones aren't a whole lot better. I loved those Culpepper era white jerseys, I wouldn't mind a set based on those.

the problem with the throwbacks is the northwestern striping (or any 3 stripe derivative) is that there are too many teams that already have a similar sleeve striping...at least the previous generation stood out with the viking head.

Are the Vikings current uniforms bad? Yes. Is that set of throwbacks bad? Yes to that as well.

Probably gonna catch some flack for this, but I hate those Vikings throwbacks.

There's 2 different purples going on between the helmet & jersey,

If they could modernize it like they did the 49ers & Bills sets, then I'd be down with another nice fauxback set. But if they just brought it back as-is, it'd be one of the worst looks in the NFL, IMO.

It's OK to hate throwbacks. In fact, it's strongly encouraged in some circles around here. :D

With regard to the uniform in question here...I agree that the two entirely different shades of purple ruin what could be a great look. It seems to me that finding a way to make those jerseys darker so that they would more closely match the helmets can't be that difficult. I've always thought the dark purple from the throwback helmets would make a great color for a jersey.

I also agree that a Bills/Niners "fauxback" approach to that Vikings set would be the way to go. My suggestion would be to change the home jersey stripes to the same ones used on the old road version of that set.

kapppf-1.jpg

As far as the gray facemask goes, I like gray facemasks as long as they're being used with a traditional uniform. For instance, they look great for the Browns, Niners, and Bills. They look ridiculous when paired with the Cardinals current clown suits look. If the Vikings were to go the "fauxback" route, I think they almost have to go with a gray facemask. A purple facemask just disappears on their purple helmets, a white facemask is a bit too much, and a gold facemask would look way too neon to work.

BB52Big.jpg

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the current Vikings uniforms are the best they've worn, provided they wear the correct color combo.

YES:

San+Francisco+49ers+v+Minnesota+Vikings+OW8pVKOZFm8l.jpg

Adrian+Peterson+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+cqJGnJX2Qzfl.jpg

NO:

Adrian+Peterson+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Minnesota+uc-7KlaYZUel.jpg

Adrian+Peterson+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Kansas+7sdeU9oR0eJl.jpg

You're 3/4 right. There's nothing wrong with the all-white. Actually, unless they wear white socks, that white over purple looks pretty bad as well.

as a Vikings fan, I pray every off-season day for the last 2 years to read that they are dropping their current set. the design is a stupid idea, and it looks stupid. their throwbacks are great. they NEED to do a little updating of them and make them their full time set.

Untitled.png

Vikings throwbacks have no personality. That's fine for some teams, but it's not like the Vikings have been a household name even though they've been around so long.

The current uniforms, when worn correctly, are very good in my opinion. They are certainly something newer to the NFL, but they pull it off well. They fit the helmet, which is a great touch. Why go back to just plan ol stripes?

OLD JERSEYS ARE BETTER THAN NEW

STRIPES

^

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

My suggestion would be to change the home jersey stripes to the same ones used on the old road version of that set.

kapppf-1.jpg

I NEVER want to see this style of jersey return for the Vikes, home or road. I thought the look got really played out, but on top of that, the modern jersey cuts all make these UCLA shoulder loops like complete garbage. No thanks.

My vote would be for a modernization of the throwbacks... trim the numbers, use the current helmet, and go with a white version of the home jersey... pretty much the uniform they wore for most of the 60's.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the current Vikings uniforms are the best they've worn, provided they wear the correct color combo.

YES:

San+Francisco+49ers+v+Minnesota+Vikings+OW8pVKOZFm8l.jpg

Adrian+Peterson+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+cqJGnJX2Qzfl.jpg

Adrian+Peterson+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Kansas+7sdeU9oR0eJl.jpg

NO:

Adrian+Peterson+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Minnesota+uc-7KlaYZUel.jpg

Fixed it for you. :P At least that's my opinion.

Agreed on the homes, and also the purple pants on the road is a nice option. My main gripe with the Vikings look is that little square panel on the pants stripe that is a different color from the rest of the stripe. It's jarring and inconsistent. If the Vikings just made their pants stripes one solid color (purple on white pants, white on purple pants), their look would be improved tenfold, regardless of what pants are being worn with what jersey (the likeliest exception being the all-purple).

BTW, never noticed how well the gold popped until seeing these photos.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

If I may be allowed to shamelessly plug myself and jack this thread...would something like this work, modern yet simplistic?

MINvikings_NPC.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like that concept buc! If I may chime in again, the different color helmet is a little annoying, but it's weirdly neat looking in my opinion.

To be more specific, I never said I didn't like the current. Ones, but as we have seen from college football how nice the more traditional uniform can be, I didn't think it would be a bad idea, hopefully it's an alternate.

I still really don't know what to say about the new collar, it's an improvement, but doesn't look right, especially with the numbers. If they changed the number style and modified the collar a bit, I would be ok with it, oh and they better stick to purple pants on the road!!

So I guess it was also a missed opportunity to improve the current to some people

Archived