City and Team Names That Sound "Cool"

TopCat

XFL - New York/New Jersey Hitmen and the Chicago Enforcers

NFL- Dallas Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks

USFL: New Jersey Generals, Oklahoma Outlaws, Tampa Bay Bandits, Boston Breakers and the Oakland Invaders

ARENA - New Orleans Vodoo and Iowa Barnstormers

NCAA - Oklahoma Boomer Sooners and Florida State Seminoles

MLB- Brooklynn Trolley Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals

NHL- Detriot Red Wings and Nashville Predators

MLS- D.C. United and Seattle Sounders

Minor Leagues- Alburque Dukes, Lansing Lug Nuts, Tuscon Side Winders and Spokane Indians

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how Dallas sounds too! I was thinking of doing a Dallas Rangers alt-history concept thread wherein I'd reimagine their uniforms a little bit, because I think "Texas Rangers" is too vague and really just kind of hokey.

But FC Dallas is stupid, yeah. So is Toronto FC.

They're named the 'Texas Rangers' in honor of the law enforcement.

Also, I think I speak for most residents in Fort Worth, Arlington, and the rest of Tarrant County when I say 'Dallas Rangers' would be a kick in the nuts. Especially seeing how it's the one major DFW team that's NEVER been in Dallas....

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

"Cool" is subjective, but there is a short list of names that can be considered "clever". The list begins with those teams that must be considered "in toto", as in their place name and team name form an identifiable unit that stands alone separate from sport. This short list includes (active teams): Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Blues, and Florida Panthers (an actual variety of cat).

These are my favorites for the very reason you list. And as OnWis97 points out, the Baltimore Oriole--the state bird of Maryland--should be added to your list. I suppose the Chicago Fire--named after the Great Chicago Fire--could go on the list as well.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I like how Dallas sounds too! I was thinking of doing a Dallas Rangers alt-history concept thread wherein I'd reimagine their uniforms a little bit, because I think "Texas Rangers" is too vague and really just kind of hokey.

But FC Dallas is stupid, yeah. So is Toronto FC.

They're named for the Texas Rangers, so why not name them the "Texas Rangers"? How is it vague? It's the exact name of what their going for. It's quite possibly one of the least vague name in all of sports.

I think admiral is trying to say that Texas is a large state, and the name isn't individualized for the Dallas area, therefore leaving the team's location in the state somewhat vague. I think.

spacer.png

Portland Timbers

Seattle Sounders

Vancouver Whitecaps

All three of the MLS PNW teams have great names.

Yes. Love all of them, and I'm a committed "Traditional Football Names" person.

I agree, and not just because I'm a Northwest guy. Also love the New Orleans Voo Doo in Arena Football,the USFL's Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers (just discovered the Women's Professional Soccer league has a team named the Boston Breakers), and the old WFL's Portland Storm. As a kid, I thought the Storm was the perfect nickname...intimidating, cool and of course, appropriate to the region. Also just loved the way it sounded. In minor league baseball, I like the Hickory Crawdads, Carolina Mudcats, Quad Cities River Bandits, High Desert Mavericks, Tri-City Dust Devils, Chattanooga Lookouts and the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Liked the way the Knoxville Smokies sounded, but now that they are the Tennessee Smokies, they just sound too generic to me. The Winston-Salem Wart Hogs was an awesome name, but changing to the Dash was just lame. I think the Tennessee Volunteers and Texas Longhorns are two of the best college nicknames. Appropriate to their regions, and distinctly creative. Unlike the three Tiger schools that now inhabit the SEC. Even their color schemes are pretty unique...not the usual navy or red.

Some minor league combinations just sound awkward to me. Teams like the Vermont Lake Monsters, Lehigh Valley IronPigs, Bowling Green Hot Rods, Ft. Wayne TinCaps and the Omaha Storm Chasers/Golden Spikes are trying so hard to sell uniquely branded merchandise that they just sound goofy. But the most awkward, uninspiring name in all of the minors, in my opinion anyway, is the Northwest Arkansas Naturals. Doesn't that just roll off the tongue? Finally, not a fan of generic, uninspired names like Canadians/Canadiens, Americans, Nationals, Texans, Stars, etc. Or teams that feel they need to incorporate "river" into their nicknames, like the RiverDogs and River Cats. Or hockey teams that add "Ice" to their nicknames, even though I loved the old Austin Ice Bats logo.

Also, I think I speak for most residents in Fort Worth, Arlington, and the rest of Tarrant County when I say 'Dallas Rangers' would be a kick in the nuts. Especially seeing how it's the one major DFW team that's NEVER been in Dallas....

Damn straight. Drives me nuts that there's two WSHL (T3 Jr A) teams with Dallas names that play in Tarrant County, one in Grapevine and the other in Euless. The last WSHL to play in Euless went by "Fort Worth," so I guess it evens out.

Texas is a large state, and the name isn't individualized for the Dallas area, therefore leaving the team's location in the state somewhat vague. I think.

Correct. As a little kid, I went years not knowing where the Golden State Warriors and Texas Rangers played. Didn't get to watch a lot of Warriors home games and figure out that it was Oakland when I was 7. I just figured they roamed the whole state. "Texas Rangers" should've been objected to on the same grounds as "Vancouver Mounties," that the crappy sports team would demean the actual law enforcement.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Texas is a large state, and the name isn't individualized for the Dallas area, therefore leaving the team's location in the state somewhat vague. I think.

Correct. As a little kid, I went years not knowing where the Golden State Warriors and Texas Rangers played. Didn't get to watch a lot of Warriors home games and figure out that it was Oakland when I was 7. I just figured they roamed the whole state. "Texas Rangers" should've been objected to on the same grounds as "Vancouver Mounties," that the crappy sports team would demean the actual law enforcement.

Well for one, if it was in the same light as 'Texas Rangers', then it would be the Canadian Mounties, not the Vancouver Mounties.

And second, trust me, it would NOT be good to change the name to 'Dallas'. That's what some of us were fearing Mark Cuban would do if he bought the team. Unlike the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and FC Dallas, the Rangers are the only major team in this area that's never actually been in the Dallas city limits or Dallas County. And to everyone who doesn't live here, the entire Metroplex DOES NOT belong to Dallas or is even part of Dallas. The Rangers have always been in our county since they arrived, and we feel like they're the only team that was ever truly ours (even though ESPN and every other major media outlet will tell you other wise and really, we do share everything here), so 'Texas' Rangers is fine.

Besides, no one in this state really makes a big deal out of it. Not even Astros fans. Why should you?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Brooklyn: Cool factor of this name is off the charts for me.

Seattle Supersonics: because it just rolls off your tongue so nicely.

Philadelphia 76ers: Always thought of Philadelphia as a really cool name and I had never heard of a team name with numbers in it until i picked up live 06 and started playing as sixers.

New York Yankees and Giants: Both of these names fit NY well.

Golden State Warriors: really no explanation needed.

New Zealand Warriors: Fits them really well with all the Maori culture/history

I always like Golden State Warriors and New England Patriots, because it breaks from the typical city/state name mold.

I like team names that represent the area where they play.

In no special order: Boston Celtics, NY Knicks, NY Yankees, Phila 76ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Orioles, Miami Dolphins, Detroit Pistons, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Astros, Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, Portland Trailblazers, Minnesota Vikings, Indiana Pacers, etc...

Something that took a little more thought than just Oooh, let's name them after a random animal! You end up with another Bulldogs or Wildcats.

Ah, totally forgot about 76ers. That's definitely a great one.

Also...and I'll prepare to get blasted for this, but....Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. As a kid, being a fan of both the movies and the animated series, I thought it was SO cool that there was an ACTUAL Mighty Ducks hockey team. Loved the name (and the entire identity, for that matter). Nowadays, yeah maybe it's a tad silly. But it's so nostalgic to me that I don't even care. Still sounds cool to me personally.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

XFL - New York/New Jersey Hitmen and the Chicago Enforcers

NFL- Dallas Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks

USFL: New Jersey Generals, Oklahoma Outlaws, Tampa Bay Bandits, Boston Breakers and the Oakland Invaders

ARENA - New Orleans Vodoo and Iowa Barnstormers

NCAA - Oklahoma Boomer Sooners and Florida State Seminoles

MLB- Brooklynn Trolley Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals

NHL- Detriot Red Wings and Nashville Predators

MLS- D.C. United and Seattle Sounders

Minor Leagues- Alburque Dukes, Lansing Lug Nuts, Tuscon Side Winders and Spokane Indians

It's just Sooners. "Boomer Sooner" is a cheer/chant for the team.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

NHL: Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, Winnipeg Jets are my favorites. For the record, I really don't like my team's name or how it sounds. Actually, I don't like the word "Columbus" at all. Most people in town pronounce it "Clumbiz" which makes it even worse. Definitely not on the list of cool sounding city names (my favorites are Seattle, Chicago, and Cincinnati).

NFL: Seattle Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccanneers

MLB: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Detroit Tigers

NBA: Chicago Bulls

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm partial to teams from Chicago, Tampa & Toronto for everyone else..

NHL-Winnipeg Jets, Minnesota North Stars, Atlanta Thrashers, Atlanta Flames, Calgary Flames, Hartford Whalers, San Jose Sharks, L.A. Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes, Detroit Red Wings w/ Chicago Blackhawks, Tampa Bay Lightning & Toronto Maple Leafs

NFL-Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, LA Raiders, Green Bay Packers, Titans of New York, Baltimore Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Miami Dolphins, Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns w/ Chicago Bears & Tampa Bay Buccaneers

MLB-Brooklyn Dodgers, Milwaukee Brewers, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, LA Dodgers, California Angels w/ Chicago Cubs (sorry Chi Sox) & Tampa Bay Devil Rays

NBA-Kansas City Kings, Rochester Royals, Capitol City Bullets, Baltimore Bullets, Seattle Supersonics, Charlotte Hornets, Vancouver Grizzlies, LA Lakers, Golden State Warriors, Portland Trail Blazers, Dallas Mavericks w/ Chicago Bulls & Toronto Raptors

I'm going to rate the best team names in the four major pro sports leagues based totally on how the name is related to the city/area, and the power of the nickname:

MLB

1. Texas Rangers. Rangers weren't the kind of sorts you messed around with. Strong feelings of the old West makes it perfect for a team in Texas. Disadvantage is there are more than one teams in Texas, so ideally the name should be Dallas Rangers or something like that. But that just wouldn't work.

Runner-up: Arizona Diamondbacks. Yeah, it's just a snake, but it's a snake you don't want to mess around with. Quite common in the Arizona desert. Good, tough nickname for Arizona.

NFL

1. San Francisco 49ers. The real 49ers were rowdy, mean, nasty and very much associated with northern California. And every time the 49ers won a Super Bowl, it was another gold rush.

Runner-up: Minnesota Vikings. Just ask any Scandinavian in Minnesota or the rest of the Upper Midwest if this is a perfect name. We are still Vikings. Yah, sure, youbetcha.

NBA

1. Boston Celtics. Basketball's version of the Vikings considering the Irish presence in Boston.

Runner-up: Chicago Bulls. Great name for Chicago, considering the old stockyards. Only problem -- I'm guessing more than a few bulls were slaughtered. A lot more steers than bulls, but some bulls were butchered there, too.

NHL

1. Florida Panthers. I thought Panthers for Florida was a generic name until I found out there actually is a Florida Panther. That makes it a fantastic nickname. Great all the way around.

Runner-up: Edmonton Oilers. Good representation of the oil industry. Real oilers are often called roughnecks, and they live up to that name. Tough guys who do tough work.

Archived