City and Team Names That Sound "Cool"

TopCat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is widely held that Buffalo NY got its name via corruption of the French term for "beautiful river" --- beau fleuve

That makes for a nice story, but actually has no historical evidence to back it up.

Back on topic, not to be a homer, but any love for the Buffalo Sabres?

Celtic

I've always found it confusing how the team is called Celtic, when they play in Scotland. Wouldn't the name work better for an Irish team?

The team was named for the significant Irish immigrant population in Edinburgh.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Celtic

I've always found it confusing how the team is called Celtic, when they play in Scotland. Wouldn't the name work better for an Irish team?

The team was named for the significant Irish immigrant population in Edinburgh.

But they play in Glasgow.

Here, do some reading.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm biased, but I think Boston Bruins is an awesome name. Toronto Maple Leafs is one of my least favorite though. Really, what could be more intimidating then a Maple Leaf? And it is spelled wrong, too!

Not this again.

They're named after the Maple Leaf Regiment from the Second World War. As it is a proper noun, it is in fact spelled correctly.

And the Canadian soldiers were widely respected and feared for their courage during both World Wars. Seems pretty intimidating to me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 1 year later...

Speaking just from a Philly standpoint:

Good:

Philadelphia Eagles

THE Philadelphia 76ers (only with the "the")

Bad:

Philadelphia Flyers

Philadelphia Phillies

From other teams:

NBA:

GSW

SAS

Memphis Grizzlies

Boston Celtics

Minnesota Timberwolves

Seattle Supersonics

Portland Trailblazers

NFL:

New England Patriots

San Francisco 49ers

Kansas City Chiefs

St Louis Rams

Buffalo Bills

I always felt like the Vancouver Canucks was the coolest sporting name....there's just something about it...

lol I kid.

As far as NHL goes (that's my forte) I think its hard to look past the New York Rangers as being the team with the overall coolest sounding name. Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks not far behind.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Seattle Supersonics

Portland Trailblazers

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Pittsburgh Pirates

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Ok Tampa Bay just sounds badass to me, I dont know why)

Philadelphia Eagles

New Jersey Devils

San Jose Sharks

Only 1 hometown choice (Philadelphia Eagles) for the major leagues, but the most badass philly name imo was a minor league one.

Philadelphia Phantoms.

Just doesn't sound as badass in any city they've moved to since.

I'm biased, but I think Boston Bruins is an awesome name. Toronto Maple Leafs is one of my least favorite though. Really, what could be more intimidating then a Maple Leaf? And it is spelled wrong, too!

Not this again.

They're named after the Maple Leaf Regiment from the Second World War. As it is a proper noun, it is in fact spelled correctly.

And the Canadian soldiers were widely respected and feared for their courage during both World Wars. Seems pretty intimidating to me.

Maple Leaf regiment from the Second World War, eh? That's a hell of a feat considering WWII didn't start until 1939 and the St. Pats were renamed Maple Leafs in 1927.

The apocryphal story about Conn Smythe's Maple Leaf regiment is hokum. There is no such regiment, never was.

Chances are he named the team after the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball club, which won the IL championship in 1926.

Celtic

There are 6 celtic nations in the world. Including Scotland, so basically, they are as celtic as I, a breton, am.

FYI: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany and the Isle of Man are the 6 celtic nations.

Where do I come from ?

1399006447-sig1.png

Who do I support ?

1399006379-sig2.png

If we're going strictly by how the names sound phonetically:

Vancouver Canucks

Philadelphia Flyers

Boston Bruins

St. Louis Blues

San Jose Sharks (I know they don't play in SF, but as far as phonetics go San Francisco Sharks sounds even better)

New York Yankees

Colorado Rockies

Chicago Cubs

Pittsburgh Pirates

Buffalo Bills

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

New York Knicks

San Antonio Spurs

Cleveland Cavaliers

San Francisco Sharks? lol..that's a mouthful. Anything with San Francisco in a name would be a mouthful though, I'll grant you that.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

San Francisco Sharks? lol..that's a mouthful. Anything with San Francisco in a name would be a mouthful though, I'll grant you that.

It has the 'R' and 'K' as well the 'S' sound found in sharks, which sounds better than 'San Jose' which only shares the 'S' sound. It may be a mouthful, but it doesn't really matter if it flows off the tongue well.

Golden State Warriors

New England Patriots

San Jose Clash

Tampa Bay Mutiny

Buffalo Bills

London Monarchs

Las Vegas 51s

Inland Empire 66ers

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

Archived